Advanced search  

Poll

This mod is discontinued

But there's gonna be a better one in the future
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: [47.xx] Sver's DF Combat Reworked (update v1.7)  (Read 95837 times)

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: [47.xx] Sver's DF Combat Reworked (update v1.7)
« Reply #270 on: October 15, 2020, 07:41:33 pm »

Here's my biennial post thanking you for this awesome mod :-)

Thank you!
It's been two years, huh... Two and a half even. A wild ride, when you frame it like this. I really gotta return to developing this mod, so much progress can be achieved in so little time  :P

I've probably asked this before and gotten an answer, but is there some reason the suggested tweaks stuff isn't just the default? It's a bit annoying to do by hand, and especially the profession names and enemy buffs seem pretty reasonable to me!

It's just that I have always considered them somewhat controversial.

To talk about the profession names specifically, the modded names can obfuscate the default ones, making connecting skills to weapons less intuitive for those who try to get into the mod while using as little documentation as possible. It's a criss-cross reason with why/how the Features section refers to default profession names, when mentioned, and weapon list categorizing Lasher (aka Flailsman) weapons as "lash" type.

Another reason is the whole merging compatibility shtick I'm still trying to maintain. Having the tweak layed out like that allows the player to easily add it into whatever modded creature files they are using.

It would be reasonable, however, to at least add an optional folder with creature_standard.txt where the tweak is applied in the Standalone version; and include it in the Light Edition by default. Marked that on my to-do list!

As for enemy buffs and goblin ambushes, I really think that's just not many a player's cup of tea. There's a good reason Toady removed ambushing from the goblin civs. Meanwhile, skill buffs are not without their oddities, such as histfigs getting mismatched or incomplete equipment oftentimes due to accidentally majoring in multiple weapon skills, or a skill their civ doesn't actually make weapons for, which they acquire as an adventurer; there's also the whole exploitable dissonance between dwarves and other civilized races which is its own can of worms. More obviously, they can make the game much harsher, which is not the mod's core intent - that just being more fun and balanced combat. If I could, I would do away with the enemy skill buffs altogether in favor of handicaping player militia grinding, but with the current tools such as they are, that solution is unfortunately worse. The gist is that the mod's features are actually at their best in low skill on low skill fights, because DF's high skills throw all balance and laws of physics out of the window. But high skill on high skill is the next best thing, because it's symmetrical at least.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:50:38 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 28, 2020, 05:26:32 pm »

Maybe I just messed something up when installing, but I can bring siege onagers as animals on embark and now a migrant brought one as a pet:

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 28, 2020, 05:43:49 pm »

I can bring siege onagers as animals on embark

Intended behavior.

a migrant brought one as a pet

Not intended behavior!
I guess it does no harm though? They aren't particularly powerful if anything; at worst, stray siege onagers may arrive and be sold at a small fortune, but the same goes for visitor equipment and the goddamned shields.

I don't think it is possible to ban migrant pet "siege pieces" specifically. Banning them from being pets as a whole will probably remove them from the embark screen and might have other unintended consequences.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 05:46:37 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

khripunoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 13, 2020, 06:37:19 pm »

from item_weapon_sets_sver.txt:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SCOUT_ARMS_SVER]  anti-beast
[NAME:scout arms:scout arms]
[SIZE:240]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:ARROW]

Is arrow use intentional here? This is the only occurrence of  [RANGED:CROSSBOW:ARROW] , all other crossbows are [RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT]
Kiron Kappi!

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2020, 07:56:34 pm »

I can bring siege onagers as animals on embark

Intended behavior.

a migrant brought one as a pet

Not intended behavior!
I guess it does no harm though? They aren't particularly powerful if anything; at worst, stray siege onagers may arrive and be sold at a small fortune, but the same goes for visitor equipment and the goddamned shields.

I don't think it is possible to ban migrant pet "siege pieces" specifically. Banning them from being pets as a whole will probably remove them from the embark screen and might have other unintended consequences.
You can make onagers that embarkable but aren't pets. Make them EVIL and SLOW_LEARNER, so you get them and also trolls.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 14, 2020, 03:49:59 am »

Is arrow use intentional here? This is the only occurrence of  [RANGED:CROSSBOW:ARROW] , all other crossbows are [RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT]

Nope, that's an error. Thanks for reporting!

You can make onagers that embarkable but aren't pets. Make them EVIL and SLOW_LEARNER, so you get them and also trolls.

Sounds like a solution. I'll try it out, thank you  :)
DF Combat Reworked

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 15, 2020, 04:14:25 am »

Had a little bit of time to play with the new metal system. Not super deep into it yet though.

I'm digging it, but I must say I ended up editing it a little to remove the parts that permanently consume bags/buckets/barrels so they just don't require a container. I'm assuming it's a technical limitation that they're consumed for the recipe, but nonetheless I didn't like it eating all my bags :-).

ANickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 18, 2021, 07:50:43 pm »

If I use this mod with a tileset like Vettlingers will it automatically assign backup-tiles to the items present in the mod or will they be represented by ASCII?
I'd love to use this, I have fond memories of it from previous playthroughs but I want to make sure it will work well before I pull the trigger.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 19, 2021, 02:44:29 pm »

I'm digging it, but I must say I ended up editing it a little to remove the parts that permanently consume bags/buckets/barrels so they just don't require a container. I'm assuming it's a technical limitation that they're consumed for the recipe, but nonetheless I didn't like it eating all my bags :-).

Yeah, multi-reaction tracking of the reagent is impossible; and the way it works is inteded to simulate the containers being used in further maintenance of the equipment, rather than them being eaten by the smelter right away, which is a game's limitation. It is a form of "inventory management", however, so I understand some people may find it bothersome.

If I use this mod with a tileset like Vettlingers will it automatically assign backup-tiles to the items present in the mod or will they be represented by ASCII?
I'd love to use this, I have fond memories of it from previous playthroughs but I want to make sure it will work well before I pull the trigger.

I only ever tried an older version of Vettlingr's tileset, back when it had no weapon graphics yet, so I don't know for sure. His tileset is professionally made though, so I assume it will use some sort of default weapon tile for all non-vanilla weapons - and likewise for armor.
DF Combat Reworked

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 29, 2021, 11:59:08 pm »

A heads up: I've started working on the next update a little while back and, well, so far so good! Can't say it's soon to be finished, as there are some rather massive material shenanigans to be undertaken (that should finally resolve the years-old balancing issues with shields, elves, leather armor etc., as well as reintegrate magma into the new metal system). Hopefully, the new DF release is just the kick in the butt I need to get through with all of it  :P
DF Combat Reworked

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 18, 2021, 10:47:39 pm »

Hi, is this mod compatible with "DF Revised"? I figured since it's in credits it should be, but they both affect the combat, so I don't know. I've read through the "compatibility" section, but I'm confused.

edit: ok, I've read the installation section, it says they are fully compatible in crossed out text, but then that Revised mod is out of date. By "relevant changes included in the mod" do you mean scratches/bites are removed, velocities for humanoids are halved, etc?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:57:57 pm by Wokko »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 19, 2021, 03:36:32 am »

The current version of this mod is unfortunately incompatible with DF Revised. It includes some changes from it that directly affect combat (the ones you've mentioned), as well as reactions and reaction descriptions, but omitts creature tweaks and the like.
DF Combat Reworked

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 19, 2021, 04:25:24 am »

Thanks.

- This mod doesn't deal with unarmed combat in any way, although there's room for it in the future. DF Revised deals with it to some extent and I highly recommend to install it first. When Revised is not up to date, my mod will come packaged with its unarmed rebalance for civilized creatures at least.
Could you always include these combat changes by default please? And not only when DF Revised is out of date. I liked those features from Revised (no bites, half velocity), but don't really like all the other features from there.

Your mod is great, thanks for your work.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 19, 2021, 06:38:25 am »

So far I am currently conceptualizing where this mod is to go in the near future, but it is likely I'll have to expand the limits of what it is allowed to alter. Which means the changes to unarmed combat are likely to become default, yes.
DF Combat Reworked

DeedsOfFlesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2021, 04:59:45 pm »

Hey hey, i really dont know if this was suggested, but do u mind adding this to meph tileset 32x32? or creating an already modded meph 32x32 tileset? Im sorry, i just tried for the third time now and i cant get anything to work. the game doesnt crash, but most features are gone, lots of bugs i dunno, il ltry again maybe u can look into it im a complete newbie to adding mods to df, maybe u can give some insight
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20