Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nomadism  (Read 1118 times)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nomadism
« on: April 30, 2018, 05:14:31 pm »

Currently, every civilization is sedentary. However, not everyone was settled in only one place.

So, I propose that, in some civilizations, settlements wouldn't be fixed at one point but displaced.

Why should some settlements move? Given soil degradation isn't implemented, preventing the implementation of settlements going elsewhere once the lands they used for their cattle and their crops isn't fertile enough, remains only the need to follow savage animals and fruit trees by hunter gatherers; while kobolds and animal-men could already play this role, some humans and goblins could also go the nomadism road, hunting game and gathering fruits until there's not enough in their place of habitation, meaning they would have to go elsewhere. Other activities could be trading with the sedentaries, as peddlers.

An extension of the idea would be, when navigation will be implemented, nomadic seamen would roam the seas, fishing and trading with the land-based societies.

Other threads:
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nomadism
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:49:38 am »

I don't know why were are talking about settlements in this context at all.  It seems like a better system to start with nomads, that is to model nomadic groups as site governments without any settlements.  That way we can model refugee groups better, by having a defeated site government able to up sticks and go somewhere else, perhaps to another site if it hits a disaster.  Once the economy is better developed, we will need to model the need for sustenance for refugee groups pretty much as we would a nomadic group. 

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 02:10:16 am »

Nomadic groups form temporary settlements, though.  And they would often have specific areas they'd return to at specific times of the year (eg. horse-nomads who might gather in one area to trade for a few weeks out of every year.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:02:14 pm »

Many civs already have nomadic groups. You can see them in Legends Viewer. I don't know how they work, exactly. But they're listed.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 06:09:48 am »

Nomadic groups form temporary settlements, though.  And they would often have specific areas they'd return to at specific times of the year (eg. horse-nomads who might gather in one area to trade for a few weeks out of every year.)

I know, but the question is whether they are best modelled along the lines of the existing sites or whether they are best modelled inseparably from the entity, so a ordinery 'site government' has a location that is separable *from* it's own site.  Nomads then are mechanically just site governments without sites, the temporary encamping part is dealt with as something the group *does* not as a site being built. 

Many civs already have nomadic groups. You can see them in Legends Viewer. I don't know how they work, exactly. But they're listed.

I don't think the nomadic part is in at the moment.  The groups are either fixed in camps at a location (bandits) or they are enroute to another site. 

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 08:02:26 pm »

While this sounds like an immersive part of the game it feels like this would eat a lot of hardware resources to keep track of.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 10:07:50 pm »

While this sounds like an immersive part of the game it feels like this would eat a lot of hardware resources to keep track of.
Have you read Legends recently? Thousands of people are wandering the world, armies are fighting, sites are being built, destroyed, reclaimed. If anything, having some entities "destroy" their sites before moving on to others would speed things up.

The dev notes are packed full of seemingly inconceivable extra mechanics that won't be technically possible without rewriting large parts of the code. It's just the way the project is.