Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Usnuspstrasp - Return of the Dwarves. (Succession Game, COMPLETE)  (Read 19690 times)

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Usnuspstrasp - Return of the Dwarves. (Succession Game, PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2018, 05:34:53 am »

Smithing didn't really happen. I, er, got a bit carried away with the adamantine.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2018, 05:41:39 am »

This isn't as bothersome as someone connecting the mines to the surface xD I hope whoever it was can live with royal blood on their hands. Poor woman-me died alone.

Iron is readily available and the way I planned the fortress was with the intention of being self-sustaining if the gate is shut, so it seemed to make sense to mass-produce a cheaper metal than to risk loss of Dwarven life looking for Adamantine we'd probably not have enough time to extract and smelt xD If you wanna restart or take another year go for it, I'm way too busy with work to get anything done even if I wasnt still in the throes of DF fatigue ;-;

Failing that, if anyone wants to have a go at getting the armor done, go for it.

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2018, 08:10:56 am »

If you are happy with me taking two years in a row, I'll carry on in my hunt for adamantine.

If that doesn't work out, I'll restart from where UselessMcMiner left off. We do have flux, so I can make steel equipment.

Edit: There is adamantine, but not much, and it is entirely submerged in lava, so getting it will be very slow. It might be easier to do steel.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:51:44 pm by TBExtent »

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2018, 08:14:06 pm »

Aye, steel's probably the best way to go in that case :P

Feel free to take a second year, and its up to you if you wanna restart from where UselessMcMiner left off (though I'd greatly prefer the MeQueen to not end up goblin chow XD), it's entirely your call :3

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2018, 05:04:32 pm »

I started again, and it was all going well up until a goblin siege arrived right outside the front door. They charged straight in before I could close the door. Went through three queens in as many minutes, before crashing.
Oh well, try again.  ::)

We might want some better defences for the next fort.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:07:44 pm by TBExtent »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2018, 06:05:52 pm »

Perhaps becoming the mountainhome would be easier.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2018, 07:13:23 pm »

I'd be happy to take a turn Fortressing, or perhaps even Adventuring for this! I've been looking to flex my muscles on another DF succession game for a while, now. Put me in if you're still looking for players, please!

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2018, 12:46:56 am »

Consider it done. :)

We pretty much are the mountainhome in everything but name, there hasn't been a Dwarf-held settlement in 800 years ingame :P I can't even remember if we even have a caravan haha.

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2018, 10:26:20 am »

First order of the day: digging out marble.

I had a look around the fort while the miners were digging.

Odd. Bedrooms full of statues. Very few bedrooms, at that. 20 for 80 odd dwarves. We need more!

Much better.

The metalworking area was expanded with more smelters and a marble stockpile.
I set the dwarves to work making traps to guard the entrance.

Zuglar had made more than 100 crowns by this point. I wouldn't call it a particularly significant event.

The caves are walled off. No worries.

Can someone please tell èzum that baths and bloodbaths are not the same thing? Someone other than me.

We've got a statue commemorating last years library murder now.

Steel sawblades. 150 of them. Nothing gets in now.
The forgedwarves have now been tasked with making adventuring gear.

The queen got some new decoration for her quarters.

And a much larger tomb.

The bedrooms are finished.

It menaces with spikes of boring.

The weapons have been made and stockpiled.

Time to test the traps.

I ordered the military to take up stations behind the traps, to finish off any stragglers. Unfortunately, they had put all of their weapons in the stockpile with the adventuring weapons. They would see the goblins and charge at them unarmed. Surprisingly, they took out a decent number of goblins.

The remaining goblins seemed reluctant to enter the fort, preferring to hang around in a pile of corpses. Perhaps someone told them about the traps.

Sudden panic.

Panic averted.

Oh. I was right the first time.

Her royal highness is dead. Oddly, no attempt to appoint a successor is made and no information on how she died can be found. I'm guessing that she was caught outside the fort by the goblins, but I can't find a combat report.

No idea how to deal with this. Just close the gates. It can torment the cats.
We need to let the adventurers get the weapons you say?
Alright, open the gates and hope.

We've got a titan sitting outside the fort. It doesn't seem to be preventing retiring the fort, but I'm going to put the save up pre-retire just in case.
The gear for adventurers is on the right as you enter the fort. Don't go down the ramps past the trade depot, the sawblades are at the bottom of them. You are unlikely to survive.

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hrqlazhyl9oxh63/AAC8_uv5zULfgYx_-KmE4XPTa?dl=0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2018, 06:15:59 pm »

I think those statue bedrooms were supposed to courtship suites.

"not it" on mason.

I hope you built the bone statue in the library.

Sawblades? Safe entrance, expect for wear and jamming with corpses, spying and trap-reporting diplomats, titans, werebeasts, firebreathing dragons, very agile enemies and animals such as peregrine falcons who can just run across the traps and be gone by the time they snap, bolts, things too small to hit, kobold ambushes, and probably few things I'm forgetting.

I think successor takes bit of time. Maybe next year?

Leaving the titan in place means potential fun on unretire, for sure. I don't know if they mess around, though, and whether they'd defend the fortress in case of invasion.

Leaving it in place for your adventurer can be highly profitable, as ice titans are really weak but produce as much fame as tough ones, which means you can immediatelly recruit lot of people.

Of course, succumbing to invasion would have been more intersting (could conquer back the fort with next one), but you do you.

Speaking of which, going to take an adventurer now, or...Who would be next in line, anyway?

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2018, 10:13:58 am »

I think those statue bedrooms were supposed to courtship suites.

Yep, they were meant to help pair the starting populace up. We weren't expecting to get any more than the two hardcoded migrant waves (since yknow the last five dwarves alive before embark were all thousand year old necromancers), so the plan was to increase our numbers the old fashioned way.

And if nobody else is up for a turn in the fort, adventurers can start doing their thing :) Naturally our new Titan friend gets immediate priority, lest the dwarves die out a second time :P

In terms of succession I think itll pick one at random if there's no heir. I stuck the queen in one of the marital suites to try and get some princes and princesses but everyone else sort of forgot about them I guess.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:18:54 am by comicraider »

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2018, 01:38:12 pm »

Hey is this fort continuing? Also how are the beetle people doing? Are they dead yet?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 06, 2018, 10:41:05 pm »

I still have the most recent save somewhere, but it kinda petered out :( I started a round in Adventurer and got pretty far into one of the two Vaults as per the secondary objective, but the poor treasure hunter eventually got his fecal matter brutally pushed in by the Archangel.

Shame, that divine metal pike was amazing. Really should have just picked up all the divine metal and sent it back to Sunshield.

You're welcome to another turn if I can dig up the save, failing that if I find the time I'm planning a second fortress in this world now that Sunshield is pretty well established :)

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2018, 07:04:09 am »

I still have the most recent save somewhere, but it kinda petered out :( I started a round in Adventurer and got pretty far into one of the two Vaults as per the secondary objective, but the poor treasure hunter eventually got his fecal matter brutally pushed in by the Archangel.

Shame, that divine metal pike was amazing. Really should have just picked up all the divine metal and sent it back to Sunshield.

You're welcome to another turn if I can dig up the save, failing that if I find the time I'm planning a second fortress in this world now that Sunshield is pretty well established :)

Before Anything, I'm in for a turn!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Quixotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2018, 11:42:19 am »

I’d like a turn if this is really coming back  :D
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14