Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Usnuspstrasp - Return of the Dwarves. (Succession Game, COMPLETE)  (Read 19706 times)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
Re: Usnuspstrasp - Return of the Dwarves.
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2018, 01:41:22 pm »

I would like to be dwarfed as Ber Oltarazin please! I would also like a turn in the succession game if the wouldn't be too much to ask?

I'll put you down on the list. :)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 03:53:37 pm »

Thank you!
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2018, 07:14:33 am »

Applications closed, I'm resuming my turn.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 12:23:04 pm »

I'm not going to hide the new report into edit of my previous post, so sorry for double post.

20th Granite
I've spent today by pondering who will be our new secretary. I've decided to let Avan Babinushat do it. She doesn't find most jokes humorous, is very quick to anger, is prone to strong feelings of jealousy and is stubborn. Can you think of a better clerk?

She is going to need an office. Which brings me to another thing and that is layout of our fort. It is nice, but I can think of some improvements.

Take a look at this:
Spoiler: Meeting area (click to show/hide)
Once we'll set up a cozy tavern, all traffic to the metalworks is going to go right through it. I want to be able to enjoy my booze in peace and not be disturbed by noisy haulers dragging ores and whatnot. So I'll have new ways down channeled in the center hall, so that tavern will not be a transit area. Also, it will open a new areas to be dug.

Check our metalworks out:
Spoiler: Metalworks (click to show/hide)
They're spacious, aren't they? I like them! I want woodworks and stoneworks and other whateverworks to look like that as well. So I'll have them dug out. Once they're moved, we'll have free space around farms to make a cozy, spacious foodworks as well.
Spoiler: Farm area (click to show/hide)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2018, 01:03:24 pm »

Sounds good! I usually have my woodwork/stonework etc areas fairly cramped like that for efficiency haha, just so I can get it all together and move on to quarters before anything really happens. Old habits die hard :P had I more time I'd have done exactly that and expanded them.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2018, 04:37:57 pm »

Okay, I haven't foreseen this.

use the settlers and hardcoded migrants to try and restart the gene pool, and spread out from there,

Dwarfs should be extinct, premise of this succession game is to start with as few dwarfs as possible and slowly repopulate the world. Yet a massive migrant wave of 18 just arrived, effectively doubling our dwarfs. I'm going to savescum a bit and set pop cap so they won't come anymore and we'll have to rely on our dwarvettes to do the repopulating. I mean there is no way I'm letting this last dwarfs in the world challenge turn easy mode by doubling our dwarf power in a single moment. 18 dwarfs is a nice number, not too little, yet I have to keep lack of dwarfs in mind. 36 is more like my everyday fortresses, which I cap at 50 dwarfs for fps reasons.

I digged around and found this noteworthy post:
... It can also be noted that the "hard coded" in the hard coded waves are just their appearance (unless blocked by pop cap or sieges). ...

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2018, 05:20:30 pm »

Jesus, really?!

I checked Legends, before I embarked the five necromancers were literally all that's left.

Did they change the number of hardcoded migrant waves or something? O.o

Your call on wether or not to keep them, I think I left enough food to manage :P

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2018, 05:41:29 pm »

From DFwiki:

"The third migrant wave and on are influenced by the created wealth of the fortress, with more wealth attracting more immigrants (more research is needed to determine specifics). Specifically, they're influenced by the fortress wealth as reported by the last outgoing dwarven caravan. Wealth created after the caravan leaves has no influence until the next year's caravan leaves. If the caravan fails to make it out then the fortress' wealth is not reported. The dwarven liaison does not report on fortress wealth, in those circumstances where the liaison makes it out but the caravan doesn't."

If it's created wealth, the size of the migrant wave may have been my bad. I went trigger-happy creating shell crafts and stone works (hence the shitload of decorated statues) along with cut gems and shell decorations etc. which may have attracted so many people.

The fact that we got a third wave at all perplexes me, imma do some research.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2018, 05:46:49 pm »

I savescummed, I had a save not long before they came. I'll just have to redesignate some areas and deal with damp stone cancellations below the water pipe again. Feeding those dwarfs would be easy, too easy in my opinion.

I changed d_init.txt:
[POPULATION_CAP:0] (in hope to prevent immigrants)
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220] (default value, means we're allowed to have 220 dwarfs in fortress at a given time. I'm open to suggestions on what this cap should be. Too many dwarfs slow the game to a crawl.)
[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000] (default value, means we'll have 100 underage dwarfs tops. Once they become peasants, further pregnancies will be allowed, up to the strict population cap.)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2018, 05:52:28 pm »

Cool. I'm not too fussed about more migrants turning up as it's more of a gene pool and more workers without a 12 year wait, but we do like a challenge :P Still no idea why we got a third wave.

Apologies about the water pipes, I didn't have the time to really get any pumps going (plus I'd have used a dwarven reactor, saves me killing the framerate) so channeling seemed appropriate :P

Oh speaking of pregnancies, any luck with the marriage rooms yet? I assigned a few couples (including the queen, want to get a dynasty going haha) before I handed the save over but forgot to turn off their labours so they stay in their rooms.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:54:40 pm by comicraider »

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2018, 06:10:56 pm »

Marriage rooms are those rooms filled with statues, where dorfs cannot reach the table nor cabinet?

Well, I'm trying to keep idlers at 0 so far (there is work to be done), so I didn't have dorfs hanging around yet. ;)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2018, 07:17:47 pm »

Yeah, that's them. All the furniture and statues are masterworks, and the floors are caked in engravings. Ststues make sure only the beds are accessible so the guests have to be around each other and bond. With labors turned off it usually only takes a couple months, I did it in a previous world where the dwarves were simply dying out instead of dead :3

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2018, 01:05:19 pm »

Editing the d_init.txt prevented immigration. This. Civilization. Is. Dead.

14th Felsite
First batch of digging is complete. I've ordered bookkeepers office to be furnished. Let's see what we have on hand, once she gets to work.

16th Felsite
Aban, our bookkeeper and manager, finally put things in order. Her findings are alarming, we are completely out of booze. I'll have her set up a standing work order for our still to make sure this never happens again. Once this is dealt with, I'll make sure we have a steady production of stone blocks. Those damned bunnies are driving me crazy. Little bastards keep running out of their pen and sapping our dwarf power constantly as dorfs catch them and lead them to the pasture all the time. I'm going order a wall build around them, solving this issue.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2018, 01:07:41 pm »

I'm still here.
If Dorfing is available, stick me on the future list.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2018, 01:12:35 pm »

Dorfing is available, pick a dorf in link below:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14