Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Usnuspstrasp - Return of the Dwarves. (Succession Game, COMPLETE)  (Read 19695 times)

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I prefer to care for the living. :) It's mid-winter now, so I should have my turn wrapped up tomorrow.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile

So do I but my experience with injuries theyre either not secere enough to warrant medical attention or lethal enough to kill before they can get hauled to the infirmary. :P shame, I have some pretty good doctors in that world. When my necromancer adventurer pays it a visit they'll get some action at least... >:3

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, this is it. It's 15th Granite, exactly a year from me becoming an overseer. I'm supposed to step down in favour of Canemaster, so be it. Let me just summarize what has happened during autumn and winter.

A caravan arrived in early autumn. They managed to scavenge some thread, cloth and gypsum plaster. I traded for some, because I had to stock our hospital. I received word on 22nd Sandstone that all furniture for our hospital is ready. I've ordered it furnished. Here is the result:
Spoiler: Hospital (click to show/hide)

Queen also demanded a copper sarcophagus for her tomb. That reminded me she doesn't have a tomp yet. I hate that dwarf, so I took great joy in designing tomb for her. I added royal crypt on the northern side of our cemetary and had a copper sarcophagus moved in there. It's not "royal" yet, but it is a start. Some engraving may liven the place up. Also, we don't yet have skilled blacksmith, so the statue is rather plain.
Spoiler: Royal crypt (click to show/hide)

At this point smoothing of workshop halls got finished. With now free dwarf power and some time left, I decided to start working on our own tavern. We already had a place ready for it, so I ordered some chairs and tables to be made. I designated booze and prepared food stockpiles in there and had a kitchen dug nearby. Now here is the problem. Kitchen is really far from farmlands, two levels below and across the whole fortress. What is the difficult, inefficient, loud but totally dwarfy solution? Yep, you've guessed it, minecart! So I've made it so stuff from farms is loaded in a minecart and dumped in kitchen.
Spoiler: Station: Farmlands (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Station: Kitchen (click to show/hide)

And that took all the time I had left. So, the final state of fortress is as follows:
Spoiler: Ground level (click to show/hide)
Bunnies keep breeding in their pen. I've gelded the cats, so we don't have to worry about catsplosion. Possible trouble is when last cat dies of old age, but let's deal with that when that time comes. We still have plenty of time.

Spoiler: Farm level (click to show/hide)
The garbage dump is there just to clear rocks out of the minecart tunnel. Feel free to remove it when dwarfs are done cleaning it. I highlight it because it is easy to miss and then wonder where the hell are dorfs dumping all the stone, when you designated a dump for them just around the corner.

Spoiler: Meeting areas (click to show/hide)
Queen's quarters are still unfurnished. Kitchens and stills have standing work orders to keep drinks and prepared meals at around 100 each. Quern should be automatic as well. I wanted to add standing orders for processing quarry bushes as well, but I've run into trouble with that: Work order: quarry bush leaf condition.

Spoiler: Hospital & offices (click to show/hide)
Hospital is stocked except for soap. I didn't have time to get around and produce some. Chief medical dwarf's apartment, managers office, and expedition leader's quarters are yet unfurnished.

Spoiler: Industry area (click to show/hide)
I didn't touch the forges/smelters. Woodworks and stoneworks are quite easy to figure out.

Spoiler: Cemetary (click to show/hide)
Let's hope this stays empty as long as possible.

I've done some experimenting with getting the dwarfs to breed. We can either take controlled or uncontrolled approach.

Controlled approach is forcing compatible dwarfs to idle next to each other. I had some luck doing it with burrows. They tend to hang around in assigned burrow, so a small 2x2 burrow over beds and chairs did the trick. I also made a feeding burrow over food & drink and added dorfs to it when they got thirsty or hungry. I removed them from it once they did their stuff there, so they won't decide to hang around in the large burrow instead. They like to carry their food to chairs, so chairs in the small burrow helps them to get them to return there. It is a lengthy process however. I wanted to get my dwarf friendly to chief medical dwarf and three seasons I got them to long-term acquaintances only. I then needed the legendary carpentry skill of my dwarf so the furniture could be done in time.

Uncontrolled approach is to remove all temples, taverns, libraries and leave just a standard 3x3 or 4x4 meeting area. Dorfs will then crowd there when idle, socializing.

One last thing I thought about, but didn't do (mainly because I remembered it now that the save is uploaded). I think the "helped someone" thought is given only for picking up a wounded dwarf (and not cleaning him, feeding him, diagnosing him, suturing him or whatever). Since our chief medical dwarf feels particularly strongly about helping others, it might be a good idea to disable recovery of wounded on everyone else except for her, so when someone gets injured, she gets rid of her unable to help others thought. It is somewhat more severe for her than for the rest of the fortress.

Save PM'd to comicraider.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got the cats for food xD ah well, at least we have the bunnies to murder. In terms of vontrolled breeding those rooms I was working on should help, being full of masterwprks puts the occupants in a perpetual good mood and I've had considerable success with ot in the past. :)

All in all though, good job. I'll pass the save on and brief the new guy :p

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got the cats for food

I know, that's why I gelded them as soon as I learned about it and didn't wait for winter. ;D No one harms cats on my watch. :P I'll catch you some dralthas instead.

I've also kept a local copy of the save for debugging work order conditions. I've actually figured out what was wrong, so I'd recommend checking out this thread: Work order: quarry bush leaf condition If you want to automate processing quarry bushes in my place by adding a work order for the farmer's workshop in the kitchen, go ahead! (It's no big deal though, we have enough food for a long time.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:45:59 pm by Kametec_Housen »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

I only read the first and last post, but, you gelded all the cats, when there are only goblins? Where are you getting more cats?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not getting any unless the annual caravan brings some. On the other hand, do we need any? Once all food is in barrels/pots, it is protected against vermin, isn't it?

It's true we're not getting outpost liaison, so it's not possible to order them, however.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

You have an annual caravan?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, it comes. Without outpost liaison. But considering we have queen on site, we're technically mountainhomes, so no liaison makes sense.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Save's been passed on to Canemaster, we should get an update soon :)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When I find the time I'm gonna delve back into my pre-embark save in Legends Viewer and find all the dwarf-made artifacts, and write up a shopping list for when we have a military :) They were all made by goblin-raised dwarves (barring the necro slabs) but I distinctly remember there being things like a mace, a bow, some armor and weapon racks. The weapons will be useful, but I also wanna get around to building a grand museum/library dedicated to preserving the knowlege and history of the dwarven "Old World" :P I'll post it all when I've figured out which are which.

I know some of them are in the Goblin fortresses and guarded by dragons and shite, so this may be a ways off :3 maybe once we start getting moods we can find a way to influence what they make and get an artifact armory going xD

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, got an artifact shopping list;

Usta Zutosp, "The Strap of Tunneling" - shale spostza (instrument), made by the dwarf Snamoz Devilburns in Menacedwills in 800.

Kept as an heirloom, later stolen by another dwarf, Bosa Confuseplague, who proceeded to lose it. Later found and offered to Vermini Aurasneak the Subtle Seer, a tortoise fiend who rules one of the Goblin civs. Later stolen once again by the dragon Ibmat Flareheated the Torrid Pearls, who kept it as an heirloom.

Gongukrotstong, "Riskedcloistered" - copper low boot, made by the dwarf Usbu Crazyticks in Menacedwills 577.

This one will be tricky, as the poor enslaved dwarf offered his creation to Vermini, the same tortoise fiend as before, and was later stolen by the exact same dragon.

Otezstoslug, "Pickrifts" - pyrolusite toy axe, made by the dwarf Nako Badspin in Menacedwills in 522.

Offered to the goblin Song Perplexedmenaced the Unbridled Rips of Rampage and remains a symbol of the Lord to this day.

Absnulut Mallasuru, "Tamedstable the Curious Watches" - bronze goblet, made by the dwarf Utes Nastysole in Menacedwills in 194.

Offered to our tortoise fiend friend, then stolen by the exact same dragon.

Smas Tubeb, "The Rack of Glaciers" - troll fur tunic, made by the dwarf Stozu Doomleaves in Menacedwills in 185.

Stolen and taken to Dreadclasps, and stolen by countless goblins for centuries until finally being stolen and lost by a wild boar man, later found and claimed as an heirloom by NONE OTHER THAN OUR DRAGON FRIEND in 788.

Osle Snusnad, "The Worm of Elevation", tiger bone weapon rack, made by the dwarf Nako Enterhated in Menacedwills in 142.

Kept as an heirloom, lost, found by a goblin and offered to the tortoise fiend who kept it as a symbol of the Master, where it has stayed to this day.

Lungorotstong, "Playcloistered" - iron bow, made by the dwarf Asno Momentmaligned in Menacedwills in 129.

Stolen repeatedly until 429, where it was found and taken to Hellgrizzles by the goblin Ber Tormentsand (made by a dwarf with a goblin name, found by a goblin with a dwarf name...weird) and offered to Zolak Doomdens the Stormy Tree of Dreading and made a symbol of the Lord.

Rakustmomuz, "Tombcrypt" - quartzite slab, made by the dwarven god Nekol Fatedghost in 35.

Claimed by the dwarf Udib Braidedstake and kept in her tower, Anguishedboats, to this day.

Noteworthy that this is the only artifact related to dwarves that is still in dwarven hands, and is held by not only one of the last dwarves in existence, but one of the oldest living beings in the world. There's a second slab that Nekol made but we only really need one.

There also exist two Vaults holding slabs bearing the names of the demons ruling the Goblin civilisations, the pale pink monster Zolak (who died in 11 so that's pointless), and Vermini Aurasneak the Subtle Seer, everyone's favourite tortoise fiend. His slab is in Cursebastions, a Vault located near the south pole (near Udib's tower.) if any Adventurers want it.

To recap, most of dwarfkind's masterworks are being fought over by a dragon and a freakin' demon, while the rest are hoarded by goblins and one of the last five worldgen dwarves holds a necro slab, with a kakapo man apprentice of hers holding the second. We're in for a giggle, lads.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooh, boy. I just found out the dragon lives nearby, in a cave called Skeweredsewers the Ape of Stabilizing east of our fortress.

Pic related, the cave is in that square, and the yellow mountain is us.

Further info from Legends Viewer;

Other Populations
◾394 Bats
◾376 Cave Spiders
◾319 Cave Swallows
◾5 Troglodytes
◾1 Dragons

Geography
◾Region: The Splattered Tower, Mountains
◾Position: X 768 Y 480
◾Size: 2 x 2

Related Artifacts
◾Tamedstable, the Curious Watches a legendary bronze goblet (Dwarven)
◾Containedshocks, the Contested Leader a legendary iron gauntlet (Goblin)
◾The Rack of Glaciers, a legendary troll fur tunic (Dwarven)
◾Riskedcloistered, a legendary copper low boot (Dwarven)
◾The Strap of Tunneling, a legendary shale spostza (Dwarven)

I for one, say we cage this mofo up and sent a party to go toss the place and recover the artifacts. Who's with me?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:59:24 pm by comicraider »

VoiceBook

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Sign me up as an adventurer, artifact hunter  8)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will do :)

There might be a wait, I'm holding off on adventurers for the time being until we've started getting the populace to reproduce, if any of our 17 adults die while the fort is retired we could be in trouble :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14