Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In contrary to the usual issues with over aggressive wildlife  (Read 908 times)

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some animals in the game are actually substantially *less* hostile than they are in real life. Surprisingly. A good example I noticed recently was the dreaded hippo. Derpy, obese. A favorite of children everywhere. Little do most people know they are the single most territorial animal in africa, and will happily crush an entire pride of lions to death with its jaws if they go into its territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRchgTun0_s

This to the point they can apparently intimidate entire prides of lions into fleeing *their* territory.

Real life hippos are known for murdering anything that so much as looks at them funny.

That in mind: Any chance we can get the aggressiveness of certain, oft overlooked but extremely hostile herbivores *increased*  :P

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: In contrary to the usual issues with over aggressive wildlife
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:33:12 am »

You can adjust the behavior of wild animals by modifying their personality traits to some extent.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 11:54:02 am »

There are two or three things that could help here (and which could be added to the default raws) -
1) Give those aggressive creatures the LARGE_PREDATOR tag - that should make them more aggressive, and also create historical figures of those species as civ enemies.
2) Remove the BENIGN tag if the creature has it (Hippos, as it turns out, do).
3) Potentially, add the PRONE_TO_RAGE:1 tag to the creature. This of course wouldn't fit all aggressive wildlife.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 12:05:55 pm »

In my opinion, there really ought to be a "territory" defining tag, in which will define the hostile range for territorial animals. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me. I yearn for the days of dark elephants and giant desert scorpions.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 11:27:15 pm »

As it turns out: Large herbivores are generally significantly more hostile than large carnivores. Herbivores are very territorial and will murder you just for being near their lawn. Carnivores generally don't care about anything else unless they see it as food.

That in mind there should definitely be a large predator token equivalent for herbivores. Except without involving them eating the thing they killed, obviously.

I would say hippos in particular deserve PRONE TO RAGE though. Yes.

That in mind: having large creatures: both herbivores and carnivores, define 'territory' of the map. Rather than just having some predators take up residence in a cave. Different sized territory depending on the animal. And whether they are solitary or social. Have them be hostile to things that enter their territory. Sounds good to me.

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring lovecraft antagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 01:35:21 pm »

I'd like this to be implemented if there's also a feature to make a bit cowardly and only ever going into an area where animals like this are often sighted if they're suicidaly brave, desperate and/or suicidaly drunk.
Has descended into madness

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 01:03:41 am »

That in mind: having large creatures: both herbivores and carnivores, define 'territory' of the map. Rather than just having some predators take up residence in a cave. Different sized territory depending on the animal. And whether they are solitary or social. Have them be hostile to things that enter their territory. Sounds good to me.

Data storage limits would likely make this impractical.  Animals don't exist as individuals when they are offloaded.  Maybe an exception can be made for animals that become historical figures.