Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: getting Historical Figure to migrate  (Read 932 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
getting Historical Figure to migrate
« on: May 01, 2018, 05:38:53 pm »

I have a historical figure from my previous fort that I wan't to migrate to my new fort but shes stuck at my previous one. And looking at her in adventure mode it says shes on an important mission. I have one save whee I used dfhack but she cant to anything in my fort. Any tips?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: getting Historical Figure to migrate
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 05:46:02 pm »

I have a historical figure from my previous fort that I wan't to migrate to my new fort but shes stuck at my previous one. And looking at her in adventure mode it says shes on an important mission. I have one save whee I used dfhack but she cant to anything in my fort. Any tips?
Are you asking about hacks to influence historical character behaviour? Then you'd need the mods forum.
Otherwise, you just need to know that your fortress isn't the centre of the universe. She'll come if you wants to, or not if she's busy (seems to be on a quest right now).
That said, there seems to be some tweaking which makes residents of previous player fortresses more likely to migrate to a new player fortress so it's not completely down to rng.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 05:59:10 pm »

I have noticed that DF prefers to send you historical figures that already exist as opposed to making new ones.  If you start up several fortresses in the same world, you'll find that most of the previous residents will migrate.   There is a good chance (not 100%, though) that the character you want will migrate eventually.  Just kill off dwarfs in your current fortress to make room for new migrants if you start bumping into the cap.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 04:21:53 am »

If I understand it correctly, the mayor/expedition leader of a fortress will stay there when you retire and start a new fortress, while all the rest are available for migration (very visible if you play dead civs). I don't think there's any guarantee the dorf who was the expedition leader in the previous fortress will be the one that holds that position when you recruit migrants, though.
When I used a create/retire fortress to form a bridge over a single tile wide ocean the "real" fortress for a dead civ I always seemed to get 6 out of the 7 dorfs from the first fortress as migrants.