Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shun goblins  (Read 1108 times)

dashadowlord

• Bay Watcher
  • this games out to get me
    • View Profile
Shun goblins
« on: June 25, 2018, 08:31:17 am »

is there a way to make all other civs refuse membership to goblins in my game i modded the raws so that goblins mature in 4 years to make really strong goblin civs which is what i wanted only problem is that now all that other civs are getting goblin members out breeding the original members and i end up with all goblen majority civs is there workaround to stop civs adopting goblins or even just other races in general?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:50:56 am by dashadowlord »
If life were like DF, Toady's strange mood would have produced an Artifact Game of Awesome that menaces with spikes of code ten years ago.  
But it is not.
Instead, what we have is a single obsessive mason trying to carve Mt. Rushmore.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shun goblins
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 06:19:29 pm »

Racism and genocide have not been introduced to the game yet, no. The armies of Dwarf Fortress worlds have a tendency to take over sites they invade, leaving mass slaughter to the megabeasts. Add to that goblin artists who prefer to travel and study than build gruesome sculptures and you end up with a pretty cosmopolitan world.

I imagine when the society and law arc arrives, there'll be more possibilities available. In the meantime, the best you can do is to exclude goblins from noble positions in Humans, Dwarf and Elf civs, which I think it's possible (maybe not for humans, actually).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:21:07 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

dashadowlord

• Bay Watcher
  • this games out to get me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 11:57:40 pm »

i seemed to be able to reduce the problem by removing the [babysnatcher] tag from the goblins no idea how it stops goblins from entering other civs but it does for some reason.;
If life were like DF, Toady's strange mood would have produced an Artifact Game of Awesome that menaces with spikes of code ten years ago.  
But it is not.
Instead, what we have is a single obsessive mason trying to carve Mt. Rushmore.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 04:31:09 am »

i seemed to be able to reduce the problem by removing the [babysnatcher] tag from the goblins no idea how it stops goblins from entering other civs but it does for some reason.;
That will also prevent them from automatically targeting you for attacks. A war might still start due to a conflict in ethics, but you're in for a boring game without a natural enemy.
You could add Item_Thief to them I suppose, that would make them a natural enemy again.
Raiding will work as war provocation like normal, of course.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 07:39:26 am »

Goblins are very blaise about tolerance of other races, wheras Dwarves tend to actually be more uncomfortable with other sapients which may be a deciding factor to how often you find plump helmet men or gorlaks in small numbers in dwarven society. Entity society values can shape this further.

Goblins take away people as slaves when they successfully raid a site that get converted into citizens because they're dragged back to settlements to work, so turning their slavery off in raws can be a easy fix to that issue by giving a large or slighted negative (like MISGUIDED which is -1 below the justifying it under special reasoning) to the ethic raws.

In another DF folder of my personal modifications, i have set up two seperate societies of babysnatchers civs, using [MISGUIDED] in places to reduce how much they step on each other's toes whilst disagreeing on the subject and tactfully placed ethics i can technically create a 50/50 chance they go to war with each other or remain 'sort-of' allies depending on the leader that is elected because site leaders make the executive decisions on whether something is apprehensible enough to declare war by running them past their own personal ethics first.

Honor obsessed Orc's (credit to @Smaglpagus) tolerate the goblins because there are some common similarities but have major disagreements on a number of set topics that sometime escalate. Religion is a focal point, if there's a lot of diametricallly opposed spheres then that can offset relations too.

Fire vs water
Famine vs Food

Etc.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 03:25:03 pm »

Maybe adding the [CRAZED] token in the creature_standard.txt entry for the gobs specie can help ?
Creature is 'berserk' and will attack all other creatures, except members of its own species that ALSO have the CRAZED tag. It will show Berserk at the unit list. Berserk creatures go on rampages during worldgen much more frequently than non-berserk ones.

It's very fun in adventure mode (or FUN! depending on what you want from DF) if you add that token to species that are usually friendly to/not caring about your other-species adventurers (visit elven retreats when elves having the [CRAZED] token with a non-elf adventurer and you will understand :D )
Or for complete hilarity, add the token to completely harmless animals, getting a bunch of rabbits rushing any non-rabbit creature around is a great way to add some Monty Python in your adventures
The best token for endless amount of laughs.

But don't add that token for the dwarves because it will prevent your fort to even start (if you embark on a fortress with your dwarves having the [CRAZED] token, the game will automatically game over with your fortress crumbling)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 03:27:54 pm by Robsoie »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 03:50:19 pm »

Maybe adding the [CRAZED] token in the creature_standard.txt entry for the gobs specie can help?

In the earlier versions it did not affect worldgen in any way, unfortunately. Most probably still doesn't.

Goblins take away people as slaves when they successfully raid a site that get converted into citizens because they're dragged back to settlements to work, so turning their slavery off in raws can be a easy fix to that issue by giving a large or slighted negative (like MISGUIDED which is -1 below the justifying it under special reasoning) to the ethic raws.

The OP's problem, if I understand correctly, is not so much about the goblins having other races in their civs, but rather other races' civs having too much goblins in them, due to the modded goblin fertility. Tinkering with the slavery ethic probably won't make any difference on the aforementioned issue.

However, dashadowlord can try and remove all the LIKES_SITE and TOLERATES_SITE tags from the goblin entity and then add back the [LIKES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS] and [TOLERATES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS]. This should minimize the goblin drift to other creatures' sites, while encouraging them to go back to their native sites whenever possible. Increasing the MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER helps too.
Do note, that any of these changes may cause a huge population boom for the gobs, and walking into their sites in Adventure Mode will produce unbearable lag. On the other hand, it seems that exremely large number of goblins is what dashadowlord is after to begin with.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:36:51 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

righthandoftyr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 07:04:36 pm »

You could try giving goblins [UTTERANCES].  That should keep them from being able to integrate into other civs (it will also prevent from being able to communicate with other races at all, but that doesn't sound like it would be much of an issue for what you're trying to do).