Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very rare Computer problem???  (Read 1202 times)

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
Very rare Computer problem???
« on: May 04, 2018, 08:32:45 am »

So, I've recently bought a new fan for my computer as the back one went out. After plugging it in, my USB connected items have started acting weird. At first it was all of them, but a computer restart fixed my headset and my mouse. All seemed well until i tried to talk on discord, when my comp yelled at me about my keyboard having "driver error". I looked online, found a bunch of things to try. I reinstalled drivers, I updated drivers, I uninstalled drivers, I restarted my PC. I even disconnected the fan to see if that messed with anything, and that didn't fix it. I've tried moving what USB was connected where. Nothing has worked. My keyboard is working right now, but if I try to watch a video, talk on discord or play a game, my keyboard stops working.

I'm out of options of what to do, and id really like to not have to take it into some place to get it checked. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to it.

It fixed itself? It works now, so i think I should be good
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:30:14 am by Coolnesstod »
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very rare Computer problem???
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:03:20 am »

Back fan not the PSU unit's fan, I'm guessing, but a case one? (Assuming a desktop/whatever case rather than laptop.)

If a case fan, I'd first assume it's plugged into a mobo riser socket for case fans (maybe near the CPU-fan riser). Is this near the USB risers that connect to the various front/back case USB sockets? Have you knocked those, perhaps left awkward debris there?

Or you may have just unplugged front- and back-leading USB connector cables to the case sockets, during the fan change, and replugged them into back and front (different). Sometimes I've seen a a machine decide that a device it has worked with on one port decide it's a completely new device (if identical, but doesn't stop it looking/asking for drivers) when plugged in a different port, including when an intervening hub has taken out and directly plugged in and it's physically still connected to the case the same but without the logical separation of the hub.

(You say you moved what USB moved where, but if the case-front/back 'hubs' self-identify differently, then hub-front-slot 1 off the first of the two internal USB risers may look topologically different from either hub-back-slot-1 (or 2, 3, 4, etc) off the first internal riser or hub-front-slot 1 served by the second internal riser. Shouldn't matter, IMO, but I've seen similarly trivial changes do so, like a scanner that refused to work not on a particular external hub in turn plugged into a particular case USB slot on a machine.)

Mobos also can supply different versions of USB, so it used to be complaints about "try plugging this device in a USBv2.0 socket" when you plug it into a USBv1.x one (whether or not you even had a USBv2.0 one, annoyingly!), just from the response (one handshakes low-high voltages, the other high-low) on the otherwise identical wiring. These days it's likely not v1 vs v2, but V3 adds extra pins, and maybe if your USB3-enabled device is now being used in an effective 2.0 port, or maybe it had been and now you're giving it what it wanted through a v3 connection it lacked before, it's possible this gives the results you see.

A long-shot. After that I start wondering about other damage caused during the repair causing some strange problem that only confuses the driver, but I'm hoping it's just something regarding re-jiggling the comnectors if you can think back to what else you might have touched while swapping the fan out.

Could be something a quick glance from a techie guy would solve. Could be a totally unrelated minor system corruption that just happened to occur sometime around your replacement of thr fan.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
Re: Very rare Computer problem???
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:34:30 am »

Back fan not the PSU unit's fan, I'm guessing, but a case one? (Assuming a desktop/whatever case rather than laptop.)

If a case fan, I'd first assume it's plugged into a mobo riser socket for case fans (maybe near the CPU-fan riser). Is this near the USB risers that connect to the various front/back case USB sockets? Have you knocked those, perhaps left awkward debris there?

Or you may have just unplugged front- and back-leading USB connector cables to the case sockets, during the fan change, and replugged them into back and front (different). Sometimes I've seen a a machine decide that a device it has worked with on one port decide it's a completely new device (if identical, but doesn't stop it looking/asking for drivers) when plugged in a different port, including when an intervening hub has taken out and directly plugged in and it's physically still connected to the case the same but without the logical separation of the hub.

(You say you moved what USB moved where, but if the case-front/back 'hubs' self-identify differently, then hub-front-slot 1 off the first of the two internal USB risers may look topologically different from either hub-back-slot-1 (or 2, 3, 4, etc) off the first internal riser or hub-front-slot 1 served by the second internal riser. Shouldn't matter, IMO, but I've seen similarly trivial changes do so, like a scanner that refused to work not on a particular external hub in turn plugged into a particular case USB slot on a machine.)

Mobos also can supply different versions of USB, so it used to be complaints about "try plugging this device in a USBv2.0 socket" when you plug it into a USBv1.x one (whether or not you even had a USBv2.0 one, annoyingly!), just from the response (one handshakes low-high voltages, the other high-low) on the otherwise identical wiring. These days it's likely not v1 vs v2, but V3 adds extra pins, and maybe if your USB3-enabled device is now being used in an effective 2.0 port, or maybe it had been and now you're giving it what it wanted through a v3 connection it lacked before, it's possible this gives the results you see.

A long-shot. After that I start wondering about other damage caused during the repair causing some strange problem that only confuses the driver, but I'm hoping it's just something regarding re-jiggling the comnectors if you can think back to what else you might have touched while swapping the fan out.

Could be something a quick glance from a techie guy would solve. Could be a totally unrelated minor system corruption that just happened to occur sometime around your replacement of thr fan.

1. It is a case fan, but its not plugged into a socket or anything. Its plugged into a 4 prong spot with the title SYS_FAN.
2. I only unplugged the fan from its original spot, nothing else was plugged in near it.
3. All usbs are v2. Ive plugged all things back to where they started, still nothing.
4. USB's could be loose, but ive tried pushing them back and jiggling with them to no avail.

Thanks for the advice tho, Ill keep checking and prodding at it till something works.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.