Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting off  (Read 1654 times)

HockeyD8

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Subscribe to me on youtube!
    • View Profile
    • My site
Starting off
« on: May 04, 2018, 04:40:34 pm »

does anyone have any tips for starting off? im very new, and really need help! the game just seems so complicated! :'(
Sub 2 me on YT!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting off
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 06:24:47 pm »

I'm not an expert, but I like the quickstart guide. 
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/Quickstart_guide

HockeyD8

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 06:56:16 am »

I'm not an expert, but I like the quickstart guide. 
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/Quickstart_guide
didn't help. my friend Joe showed me the game and his description and help was better, but still not very good.  :( sorry
Sub 2 me on YT!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 10:36:42 am »

Well the Quickstart guide is probably the most straightforward tutorial out there for DF (certainly helped me), not sure any help we'd be able to offer would be any better.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 12:58:11 pm »

It sounds like you need a lot more than tips, if the quickstart guide is no help. Is there anything specific you don't know how to do?

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 04:30:48 pm »

Have you tried any youtube guides?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 04:49:47 pm »

does anyone have any tips for starting off? im very new, and really need help! the game just seems so complicated! :'(

Don't worry, it takes some time to get used to this game! I'd suggest reading through "Boatmurdered", "Headshoots", and "Syrupleaf" and so on to give you inspiration, while taking note the game has come along way since.

I'd suggest learning sequences to place buildings, and particularly how to size farm plots and shit. After my third fortress (this was DF2010), I pretty much got everything down (including mechanics).
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 09:02:54 pm »

I got it in one evening with the quickstart guide.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 01:23:31 am »

There was a good tutorial video that got me started. I don't remember which one.

It might have been similar to this one. The basics haven't changed very much since.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 05:07:50 pm »

It's a little out of date, but this book is still an invaluable resource http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022565.do

HockeyD8

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 02:23:57 pm »

It sounds like you need a lot more than tips, if the quickstart guide is no help. Is there anything specific you don't know how to do?
Anything beyond assigning skills.
how do i get beds?
Make a fortress?
What are Burrows and what do they do?
ect.

Sub 2 me on YT!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 07:34:48 pm »

how do i get beds?
Build them in a charpenter's workshop. Then place the beds as a building. Then make each bed part of a bedroom, either individually, or as part of a dormitory with many beds. 
Detailed instructions are here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Quickstart_guide#Bedrooms

Make a fortress?
This generally just means digging a place for your dwarves in the earth. I is also possible to build walls and floors in open areas, but digging is easier, because it does not require construction material.
The game refers to your embark location as a fortress regardless of if you dig or build anything.

What are Burrows and what do they do?
Burrows restrict your dwarves to certain areas. They are not a physical structure, rather they are an area marked off by the player. They are useful for things like preventing your dwarves from wandering outside when there is a danger.

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 02:01:40 pm »

The wiki is your friend here; I suggest taking a solid night and just exploring it for a bit, learning all you can.

Pro tip though, do NOT look into the hidden fun stuff. Leave that as a discovery for yourself to enjoy.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 04:09:06 pm »

Don't forget to prepare for the inevitable werebeast attack in year 2 that will kill at least 80% of your dwarves

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 06:41:01 pm »

I think this guy quit the game to be honest. The last thing he posted was some dumb comment about transport tycoon on his other thread and then locked it (or someone did anyway), and I haven't seen him active since.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:42:48 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.
Pages: [1] 2