Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Military Tactics  (Read 5006 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Tactics
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 05:00:23 pm »

Oh, yes! I just assumed it would be the first squadleader assigned to the mission. Keep an eye on the commander anyways, in case he gets xp for organising a mission even if he doesn't participate.

If anyone with the appropriate tools (I assume you use some sort of extern program to keep track of xp) would like to check if these skills are also gained by exploration/artefact/rescue missions, that would be awesome!
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 08:28:14 pm »

If anyone with the appropriate tools (I assume you use some sort of extern program to keep track of xp) would like to check if these skills are also gained by exploration/artefact/rescue missions, that would be awesome!
I'm using Therapist's "Export as CSV" feature, then a spreadsheet to compare pre-mission to post-mission. It's fiddly, though. The export gives skill numbers as an integer showing the current level, plus a decimal showing the percent progress to the next level. I haven't yet taken the time to write a function that will convert the data to XP, so that I can be sure of who is getting exactly how many points for what.

If anyone knows of a better way to mass export XP values, please speak up.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 12:59:17 am »

I don't know enough to hack the DT code to change the export values, but in Excel, you can convert the DT export value using a formula like:
int(((50*(int($Z))) * ((int($Z)+9))) + (($Z - int($Z)) * (int($Z) * 100 + 500)) + 0.5)
where int() is a truncate-to-integer function (which Excel might refer to with a different name) and $Z is the DT value.

So, if DT gives you a 10.333333, the formula would partially resolve to
int(((50*(10)) * ((10+9))) + ((10.333333 - 10) * (10 * 100 + 500)) + 0.5)
and then finish with 10000 xp.

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 05:09:18 am »

That's just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 05:41:51 am »

An Outright Foolish Plan
I've been sending single squads to pillage weak villages, over and over. This grinds XP for my squad leaders, and it has given me some bulk exposure to the mission combat reports. One report in particular stood out:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Out of over 40 missions in a month, this was the only foolish plan. Most were brilliant plans, even though the squad leaders started this frenzy of pillaging with zero Military Tactics and low Leader skill. My theory is that Military Tactics isn't used by itself in the tactics check at the beginning of mission combat. The Military Tactics skill must be combined with something else to account for dabblers coming up with brilliant plans.

The obvious choice is Organizer. It goes up during normal military training, probably from organizing training sessions. If the player trains his military properly before he sends them out, then he has a leg up when he starts running missions, since historical figures rarely gain much organizer skill.

When I chose my squad leaders I wasn't looking at Organizer. Out of ten squad leaders, seven had skill 10 or higher, while three had skill 6 or lower.

The foolish plan guy was in the low group. He was probably a proficient Organizer when he pulled these bad rolls on the tactics check. So I strongly suspect that Organizer is the hidden element in the tactics check.

If you're playing with the mission system, then please post the data if you see any more of these Outright Foolish Plans. If my theory is right, then the leader will have a low Military Tactics AND a low Organizer skill.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 02:57:24 pm »

I don't know enough to hack the DT code to change the export values, but in Excel, you can convert the DT export value using a formula like:
int(((50*(int($Z))) * ((int($Z)+9))) + (($Z - int($Z)) * (int($Z) * 100 + 500)) + 0.5)
where int() is a truncate-to-integer function (which Excel might refer to with a different name) and $Z is the DT value.

So, if DT gives you a 10.333333, the formula would partially resolve to
int(((50*(10)) * ((10+9))) + ((10.333333 - 10) * (10 * 100 + 500)) + 0.5)
and then finish with 10000 xp.

This formula works perfectly, with only one tweak. The Therapist export gives -1 when it means zero, so I added an IF to the beginning to filter those out.
Pages: 1 [2]