Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 4.12.7 Weird fonts and frequent crashes when recruiting  (Read 6412 times)

gre11023

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
4.12.7 Weird fonts and frequent crashes when recruiting
« on: January 26, 2018, 01:58:28 pm »

Hello everyone, I recently picked up again this nice classic that is thankfully still being maintained, but I'm having a couple of issues;

- Weird fonts mixed in names with accents. Here under spoilers an example
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you can see what I guess should be the name Luìs instead has U+252C box drawing before the accented i; the program does this with other non-english names too. Suspecting some weirdness due to my desktop language (it still uses the latin alphabet, but has a tad more letters), I swapped it and keyboard layout to US English, but it made no difference. The game's executable code page was already to 437 OEM-US, to boot. I'm using Windows 10, if it makes any difference.

- The game crashes rather often during the random encounters, talking about politics to prospect recruits; sometimes after the 'What?' from your subject, other times when they reply to your political statement. I imagine this must be related to the problem above, since it clearly depends on some specific lines. So it's functionally random whether I manage to complete a conversation, I have to luck out and get an interaction not containing the lines that make my game crash.

Even though I think I isolated the problem, I'm not sure how to proceed, I never fiddled much around language options and the like. What do you think could solve this problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 4.12.7 Weird fonts and frequent crashes when recruiting
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:06:46 am »

Send a PM to IsaacG about it? Can't try to help you with anything yet, since I haven't played LCS in a while and need to upgrade to 4.12.7 to see what's going on myself.

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 12:14:17 pm »

- The game crashes rather often during the random encounters, talking about politics to prospect recruits; sometimes after the 'What?' from your subject, other times when they reply to your political statement. I imagine this must be related to the problem above, since it clearly depends on some specific lines. So it's functionally random whether I manage to complete a conversation, I have to luck out and get an interaction not containing the lines that make my game crash.

Even though I think I isolated the problem, I'm not sure how to proceed, I never fiddled much around language options and the like. What do you think could solve this problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Crap, I thought I fixed this.  I'll get right on it.
LCS 4.12 Thread
https://discord.gg/HYbss8eswM
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 11:11:05 am »

- Weird fonts mixed in names with accents.
Fixed.

I haven't been able to replicate this error.  It might be a Windows 10 issue.
LCS 4.12 Thread
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 04:46:11 pm »

I'm getting the problem on Windows 10 when running in compatibility for Win 7 and 8. Shame you can't reproduce it.

Anything I can run to debug the crash for you? I don't get the option to dump, it's a clean crash.

EDIT:

Crashes on line talk.cpp line 1111
Code: [Select]
mvaddstrAlt(y++,  1, talkAboutTheIssues[lw][1], gamelog);
Some of the issues stored in talkAboutTheIssues have only 1 line, so when this is called you get an access violation. Notably:

"The police regularly torture minority suspects during interrogations."

and

"Over thirty innocent people have been executed over the past decade."

You can fix this yourself by going to the file in art/talk/talkAboutTheIssues.txt and changing the beginning to reflect below:

LAW_ABORTION
"The government is systematically trying to rob women of the right
to control their own destinies."
LAW_ANIMALRESEARCH
"Animals are routinely subjected to inhumane treatment in labs in this
country."
LAW_POLICEBEHAVIOR
"The police regularly torture minority suspects during interrogations.
They are unfairly targeted."
LAW_PRIVACY
"Files are being kept on innocent citizens whose only crime is to
speak out against a system that is trying to farm them like beasts."
LAW_DEATHPENALTY
"Over thirty innocent people have been executed over the past decade.
This number grows yearly."
LAW_NUCLEARPOWER
"Radioactive waste is being stored all over the country, and it poses
a serious threat to many families, even in this neighborhood."

This requires modifying a text file and doesn't need recompiling. I ran the game to confirm those show up in the game and they have. (Mine are shit but who reads them anyway)

P.S. I got this to compile on Vis Studio 2017 so I'm unsure where your problem lies there but did nothing special so not sure I can help.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:15:36 pm by Coronel_Niel »

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 01:43:11 pm »

Crashes on line talk.cpp line 1111
mvaddstrAlt(y++,  1, talkAboutTheIssues[lw][1], gamelog);
Some of the issues stored in talkAboutTheIssues have only 1 line, so when this is called you get an access violation.

Lemme just fix that on my end...

Blank lines are supposed to be stored as, well, blank lines.  It seems the blank lines are being skipped on read.
Thank you, this actually helps me with another unrelated (and unreported) bug.

P.S. I got this to compile on Vis Studio 2017 so I'm unsure where your problem lies there but did nothing special so not sure I can help.
I'll have to find another copy of VS 2017.  I've learned a lot about programming in C++ since I last tried.
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4