Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.10 Released  (Read 98300 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 0.44.10 Released
« on: May 05, 2018, 02:27:46 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Here's our next effort, which should change the general situation regarding the (often inebriated) fortress dwarves and their lack of apparent stress.  Part of this involves a new system of memories, which we'll be improving as we go now.  You'll be able to see these in thought paragraphs as they are remembered, so don't worry if they aren't apparent at first.  There were also other problems with inebriation and overall stress balance; some of the latter will be ongoing, if we've overcorrected, as varied long-term forts are difficult to test, but we'll continue working with it.

I've updated how the adventurer information log works.  It's hopefully a bit more useful for navigation now, when it comes to adventuring and reporting back what has happened.  Old saves might not have everything linked up at first.  Hearing rumors again and so forth should make the log start to work better for them.  You can also cross narrow rivers in travel now (the ones that are jumpable or near jumpable at a sprint.)  Uncrossable rivers will display with double lines in the travel view.

New stuff
   (*) Made short and long term memories of emotions and their circumstances

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed crash relating to religion trying to store holy relic without a temple
   (*) Stopped inebriation personality alterations from being permanent

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Balanced stress effects
   (*) Allowed nicknaming of all buildings/zones/stockpiles
   (*) Can now zoom to item and unit for item inaccessible announcements
   (*) Added dwarf-style personality and other information in adventurer description from status screen
   (*) Updated adventurer log screen
   (*) Allowed adventurer to cross over narrow rivers in travel map
   (*) Shows status of single assigned workers in q/t workshop menus
   (*) Separated thoughts for seeing somebody die and finding the body
   (*) Changed how drunken fistfights work
   (*) Side-stepped unit load failure, creating substitute unit upon irreversible corruption
   (*) Added check for duplicate items from returning squads and others to avoid crashes/corruption
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.10 Released
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 02:42:18 pm »

Awesome! Does the memory system require a new world for fortress mode since it's such a major change, or can existing forts be imported?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 02:54:12 pm »

Stressed dorfs, less crashes, fast-travel over rivers! Woohoo! Looking forward to playing with this. :)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 03:06:04 pm »

"Changed how drunken fistfights work"

Does this change reduce the fort-wide gigantic tavern brawls that are basically loyalty cascades in terms of deaths and damage?
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 04:28:06 pm »

Memory should work with old forts; they'll start to develop memories with new situations they experience.

It changes the brawl frequency slightly, and there are more of them that are one-sided, but if it does go two-sided, existing issues will resurface.

Also: I noticed as it was going out the door that if you get an order to stop bandits from harassing a town, it doubles up the rumor for some reason in the log when it pins it to the top.  This is hopefully just a cosmetic issue.  It doesn't apply to the beast hunting orders.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 04:35:14 pm »

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Nice, I've yet to actually see a proper tantrum, seeing stressed dwarves would be a nice change/challenge, as stress has been satisfied fort-wide with just a grand cafeteria/meeting hall whilst ignoring almost all other creature comforts (no personal beds, not enough goblets/chairs/tables, out in the rain, no craft/martial training, etc)

Other bug fixes/tweaks

HELL YEAH, M'ORGANIZATION

Still, gonna wait a couple days for the new bugs to shake out, I needs my DT to manage the dwarf swarms.  Last time I updated right away I updated again twice more in as many days  xD

Also, praise the Toad, memory system is cool af

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 07:00:02 pm »

looks cool, so would the memories carry over from adventure mode
Spoiler: incoming pun (click to show/hide)
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 07:02:19 pm »

Seems like bar brawls actually cause justice response now, some dwarves started fist fights in the tavern and now they're listed as "Disorderly Conduct" in the justice screen, probably jail time once I get my jail and captain of the guard ready.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 09:53:43 pm »

looks cool, so would the memories carry over from adventure mode
Spoiler: incoming pun (click to show/hide)

He was horrified after seeing an incredibly lame pun.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 10:58:46 pm »

Interesting little bug after the brawls became punishable by justice. A visiting human lasher started a fist fight, and I chained him up in my jail because everyone accused him in the justice screen. After his sentence was over, I was spammed by "CoTG cancels unchain human lasher, needs empty cage". After I made a cage, he went and unchained the human and then threw him into the cage like an animal.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 01:10:47 am »

Interesting little bug after the brawls became punishable by justice. A visiting human lasher started a fist fight, and I chained him up in my jail because everyone accused him in the justice screen. After his sentence was over, I was spammed by "CoTG cancels unchain human lasher, needs empty cage". After I made a cage, he went and unchained the human and then threw him into the cage like an animal.
Feature or bug? :)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 01:18:21 am »

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Nice, I've yet to actually see a proper tantrum, seeing stressed dwarves would be a nice change/challenge, as stress has been satisfied fort-wide with just a grand cafeteria/meeting hall whilst ignoring almost all other creature comforts (no personal beds, not enough goblets/chairs/tables, out in the rain, no craft/martial training, etc)

Was there some problem with stress in Dwarf Fortress v0.44.09?

Other bug fixes/tweaks

HELL YEAH, M'ORGANIZATION

Still, gonna wait a couple days for the new bugs to shake out, I needs my DT to manage the dwarf swarms.  Last time I updated right away I updated again twice more in as many days  xD

Also, praise the Toad, memory system is cool af

Oh, nice! I never knew I needed this, but now I don't know how I lived without it until now.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 02:49:38 am »

Concerning the duplicate equipping crash bug worked around:
Would it help if forumites could provide 0.44.09 "before" and "after" save pairs where the "before" save would be before a raid was sent out and the "after" save would be one where that raid has been sent out and the game would crash on return? Would it provide info that could be compared in some useful manner to determine what the actual cause of the problem is?
Unfortunately, I don't have any "seed" world to use for such an investigation myself...

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 06:28:51 am »

This is exciting, thanks Toady.

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 07:49:09 am »

This actually happened to me with a human vampire bard before this update so it's an older bug.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8