Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Taming the Terror (spoilers)  (Read 2940 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Resting
    • View Profile
First Caravan Uses Skybridge!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 10:49:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had to zoom way out to get the whole entrance in 1 screen shot.  So far everything has been constructed out of obsidian blocks, mined out of the pit.  The caravan has no other entry into the fort but this sky bridge that descends down ramps next to a guard post with a glass ceiling.

Three more skybridges in each of the cardinal directions are planned to discourage traders on foot from leaving the north side of the map despite the skybridge descending just 4 tiles from the southern edge.  The local fauna can be fierce.

Building on the surface in a reanimating biome is very costly in terms of Dwarven lives.  But it did also expose some vulnerabilities in the entrance design.  Undead with climbing are able to scale down the pit right into the "safe" part of the entryway.  So a magma moat is now planned surrounding a 1-Z wall with a 1-tile floor overhang on the inner edge of the moat.

I couldn't keep track of how many died in the construction.  Herds of undead Rhinocerous, Lion Men and Hyenas liked to wander into the construction area, so 2 squads of 10 mace-lords were on full-time zombie duty for about 2 years.  Only 4 of them died.  I expected more.  But many workers lost their lives.  There were often announcements such as,
The rhinocerous corpse gores the spinner in the head with her second horn and the injured part explodes into gore!
Avuzmonang, Spinner has been found dead.
A Were-Pangolin outbreak also turned into a quite a distraction as I missed a few bites in the combat logs.

Fighting around the edge of the pit, several fell into it, 10-Z down.  The lucky ones did not land on the upright iron spears.  The unlucky ones became several reanimated parts that had to be put down.  Including a left arm that kept coming back to terrorize the fort, refusing to become mangled no matter how many times the mace lords were sent after it.  Gradually, it was hauled relay team style to the atom smasher. 

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine has broke.
    • View Profile
Re: Taming the Terror (spoilers)
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 01:36:00 pm »

I noticed when the dragon came you forbid everything to get people inside. This is unnecessary, just do this:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Burrow#Civilian_Alerts
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Resting
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 09:26:24 pm »

I noticed when the dragon came you forbid everything to get people inside. This is unnecessary, just do this:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Burrow#Civilian_Alerts

I think the simplest way would be to designate the entire map from Z-2 to the bottom as a burrow (also any surface structures).  Then an alert would just keep everyone off the surface.

Aside from dragons though, I tend to send the dwarves out to meet the were-beasts, cyclopses, giants, etc. straight away.  So I haven't really had to get everybody off the surface until the dragon came.  However, the biggest threat to this fort's existence remains to be from within.  A dwarf starting a fight in the library, and killing a scholar, triggering a zombie explosion is always fun.  Or more regularly, a dwarf dying in the hospital who then kills the other patients and the doctors.

I'm thinking of rather than having 3 squads of 10 mace dwarves, I might break them up into 6 squads of 5, and put a barracks right by each of the zombie hot spots.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Resting
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 07:41:27 pm »

The great fire of 127 (apparently caused by over-filling the magma moat) burned all the trees, but regrettably did not harm any of the giant undead tics that were roaming the forest at the time.

The animals migrants bring with them have so far tended to out-live their dwarf counterparts.  The previous livestock estimate was nearing 150.  Rather than save them for the pits, they were butchered and replaced with much more dangerous animals from the elves.  Currently 2 elf caravans arrive each Spring.  I'm still hoping for another elephant of the opposite gender to show up for trade.  An army of undead war elephants would be ideal, but until then, there are war lions, war tigers, cheetahs and hippos as an intermediary plan. 

The safe caravan access phase is nearing completion.  Gotta secure those steel imports!

The slow magma dripper was tested.  It is fed from the magma moat, and passes through a series of diagonal gaps before dropping onto a single tile surrounded by iron grates on the 3-tile wide siege entry, then drops further below onto more iron grates where it is drained off to the edge of the map.  Or with the pull of another lever, there is the option to flood the pit with magma again.
Edit: The left bridge still has yet to be re-built after a deconstruction cave-in killed 5, and stranded the human caravan wagons.

The accuracy of the ballistas is... while not good, acceptable.

And with iron ballista heads, they appear to be quite effective; as this unfortunate ballista operator will tell you.

To avoid future accidents, more fortifications were built by the ballistas.  And in true tragic fashion, that very same siege operator lost her other leg as well, illuminating the fact that I neglected to block the diagonal way through the door.

Examining her thoughts and preferences, I don't think she's going to make it...
"Her heart is mangled beyond recognition.  Her upper body is cut open.  Her stomach is mangled beyond recognition.  Her lower body is cut open.  Her lower left leg is spraying dwarf blood."
At least there's also, "She is getting used to tragedy" in there too.  She immigrated about 4 years ago to the fort.  Despite now missing both her legs, she managed to drag herself to the booze stockpile for a drink of dwarven beer.

While observing the ballista testing, I got interested in the announcement, "Mace Lord cancels Get Provisions:  Interrupted by a rhinoceros corpse." and got to see this combat report unfold predictably as the two fight on the bridge over the lava moat:
The rhinoceros corpse misses the Mace Lord!
The rhinoceros corpse charges at the Mace Lord!
The rhinoceros corpse collides with the Mace Lord!
The Mace Lord is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The rhinoceros corpse misses the Mace Lord!
The Mace Lord is no longer stunned.
The Mace Lord is caught in a pool of Lava!

The rhinoceros corpse proceded to then kill a new recruit before another Mace Lord could stop it.

...And the slab room continues to fill...

Checking back in on the siege operator - she made it to the hospital, was swiftly treated, and is now roaming about the fortress picking up new clothes (an easier task with no longer a need for socks or shoes.  I'm curious if she'll wear pants / a skirt since she only has an upper left leg).  Regardless, she has earned the new nickname, "Lucky to be Alive"
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:50:03 pm by Schmaven »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Resting
    • View Profile
Update: Taming the Terror (year 36)
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 06:42:21 pm »

A stray reindeer calf was used as the test dummy to see how lethal the 6-Z drop into the pit is from the bridge above.  It died of injuries shortly after the fall, then turned into a zombie..

The next test involved a Reindeer calf, a Buffalo calf and a Lamb, all at once (Thank you migrants for the test subjects).  The Reindeer calf landed on the Buffalo, and sustained no injuries.  The other 2 were only slightly injured.  The Lamb fully recovered in a week.  Expecting them to starve to death and turn into zombies, I was disappointed to find that somehow one of the soldiers climbed into the pit area and killed all 3 zombies after they had risen.  All line of sight to the drop area has since been blocked with walls and floors to preserve future zombies.
Spoiler: Zombie Slayer (click to show/hide)

Giant Monarch Butterfly corpses have been wreaking havok, simply flying over the magma moat and killing a dwarf or 2 before being put down.  The aerial gap has now been floored over to prevent further attacks of that kind, and the entire caravan bridges have been floored over.  In the combat logs I noticed 1 dwarf managed to beat one to death with a +Willow Crutch+.  All platnum bars have now been crafted into crutches to take advantage of this. 
Spoiler: Aerial View (click to show/hide)

Now with a magma moat on the surface, and stray magma pools leftover from obsidianizing the apocalypse, it would be helpful to have a direct stairway down to the magma sea level where 400+ metal ores are still stockpiled so they can be brought up to the new forge location as part of the re-centralizing the fort around the pit project.  The last attempt to dig directly down, and wall off the caverns at the same time was a failure.  Two forgotten beast zombies immediately noticed a path into the fort and killed many before the stairway could be sealed off.  A worrisome amount of steel and adamantine armor has been found in the magma moat.  It can be slowly drained via the magma dripper onto invaders.  So as long as it doesn't decay out there, I'm inclined to leave it for now.

Preparing for another attempt at going through the caverns, everyone was drafted into squads with metal armor and designated to be uniformed when inactive.  The past few months have been nothing but picking up equipment.  I've split the armory into 3 levels: steel, iron, and copper/bronze, set only to accept masterworks, no bins (mostly so I can visually see where things are at myself without the stocks menu).  I also reset the gear priority list so the most experienced melee soldiers get first dibs.  I expect a few more months of equipment shuffling before more productive work can resume. 
Spoiler: Armory (click to show/hide)

Checking back in on that unfortunate dwarf who 4 years ago lost both legs in the ballista tests, she is now wearing just a bismuth bronze breastplate, bronze greaves, a bronze helm, and an iron shield.  She is also covered in rum spatter.  She periodically stumbles around obliviously having "been utterly harrowed by the nightmare that is her tragic life." But since, "She dreams of creating a great work of art, and this dream was realized.", she still hauls things and helps with the mining. 

Not much else has happened aside from the random dead dwarf turning up as a zombie with an expired combat report, so I have no clue how they died; and the occasional insane dwarves being locked away in their quarters.  The barracks has been re-sized to not overlap as much with the War Tiger training area after a dead Macelord was found next to 2 dead War Tigers and 3 injured War Tigers.  There are currently 7 War Tigers, 2 War Elephants, 17 Tiger Cubs and 7 Elephant Calves.  Not enough to send to the pits yet without impeding their population growth.  And after several years of waiting, the elves finally brought 2 eagles of the opposite gender.  Eagle breeding can now commence!
Spoiler: Tigers (click to show/hide)

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [KETCHUP_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 12:21:58 am »

In the combat logs I noticed 1 dwarf managed to beat one to death with a +Willow Crutch+.  All platnum bars have now been crafted into crutches to take advantage of this.
LOL

Also, the tileset you're using looks very dwarfy, can you kindly post the link?
GENERATION 33
The first time you see this, copy it onto your si-
WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY SIG?! GET OUT!!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Resting
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 04:52:52 pm »

Also, the tileset you're using looks very dwarfy, can you kindly post the link?

I use the "Meph+Vordak (lite) 32x" graphics from the LNP launcher:
Spoiler: Lazy Newb Pack (click to show/hide)

The workshops in particular are very nicely done.  In general, it's very easy to tell what is what.  Having war animals look different than their regular counterparts is also a nice touch.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [KETCHUP_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 05:06:23 pm »

Thanks!
GENERATION 33
The first time you see this, copy it onto your si-
WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY SIG?! GET OUT!!
Pages: 1 [2]