Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: LCM - Dungeonevened - The End  (Read 38168 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
LCM - Dungeonevened - The End
« on: May 06, 2018, 06:11:48 am »

THE BIG IDEA

Inspired by MottledPetrel's Modded Hell and many huge modpacks before it, I've decided to have a go at making my own collection, but with a twist. I don't want a batshit insane world where namekians are slaughtering goombas with plungers. My goal was to assemble (and tweak) as many mods as I could (I'm not really proficient at reading raws) while sticking to the generic fantasy theme.
You know what's the most interesting? The modpack is stable, probably because there aren't that many complex interactions going on, and the error log is only a meter long.

The point is, I want to brag about my creation, and despite being a crappy writer, and not being the most proficient in writing in English, I've decided to do a drow fort story

WHERE ARE WE NOW?

The save state is gone, and the story is over. Almost.

DWAR... DROWING

SQ (me) - animal trainer/caretaker/house overseer
Lunardog15 - brewer/planter
MottledPetrel - fisherman killed by a firebreathing clown with a chainsaw
scourge728 - animal trainer/shearer
Fred the Mitey (Pikachu17) - miner/house administrator
Darkening Kaos - mechanic/weaponsmith/carpenter
Imic - swordsman/craftsman/house weapon master, leader of the Blackguards
ZM5 - stabber/potter
Schmendrick (FakerFangirl) - shearer/spinner/weaver/brewer
Freshcannon - house priestess, leader of the Helmet Snakes
Asin - House captain, leader of the Steel Samurais
Ombragon - cook

Name, profession, special requests, as simple as that.

The menagerie and botanical gardens of the drow capital, usually crowded with all kinds of people, were almost completely empty. Caretakers gathered around an empty enclosure, looking at the main gate with excitement.
"This time it has to be something good"
"I dunno, probably a false alarm. Last time they brought another bunch of geese"
"Shut up you two, you're ruining the mood"
"those three false alarms last week ruined my mood already"
"shush! I heard something!"

Suddenly the grand gate began to open. The cavern became silent for a moment, nobody dared to breathe, let alone talk. A wagon pulled by four rothe appeared in the gate, carrying a crate large enough to contain a well fed cow. The drow looked at the crate with anticipation. There's no way it's something mundane again, is there?
The wagon slowly moved towards the empty enclosure. People began to whisper.
"Oh, I bet it's a dragon"
"Maybe a dragonne?"
"Perhaps a dragoon?"
The whispering was cut short by the cart stopping. Four rhinotrolls entered the enclosure and placed the crate on soft moss. As they were doing that, the animal inside made a disappointingly familiar grunt. Many of the caretakers rolled their eyes and returned to their usual work, the rest crossed their fingers hoping for a miracle.

As soon as the rhinotrolls opened the crate, every bit of doubt was cleared - this was a huge waste of time. A fat molebull crawled out. The menagerie already had a herd of those, and this one wasn't special in any way - the same pointy horns, the same shaggy fur, the same round belly.

A young caretaker barged into the menagerie overseer's office.
"Overseer, you said it was "a beast most ferocious", not a farm animal! You've sent our last draltha for slaughter to replace it with this?"
"Now, now SQ, there's no point of being upset over things like this" the overseer said calmly. "After all we're still getting funded. You know, new animals get in, girls from the palace pump gold into my... our coffers."
"Is that all you care about? The previous overseer would send expeditions to the deepest caverns to capture cave eagles, elusive deep stalkers, even ancient constructs from forgotten times, you just cheat the system in hope that nobody will ever find out!" SQ was struggling to restrain herself. If not for two rhinotrolls standing in the room, she would have probably got violent. "You know, if enough people complained to Valsharess..."
"Is this a threat? I can make sure you all mind your own business, after all I'm only treating you as my equals out of my own good will. Maybe you don't really deserve that, huh, quaggoth girl? Remember, as long as I'm on the higher position, you're no better than a slave." That was true, the line between subordinates and slaves in drow society was blury to say the least. SQ hated that fact.
"What if... what if I stopped working for you? Maybe even become your superior?" asked SQ barely holding back tears. "If... if everything goes well, you won't... won't have the right to object."
"I think I know what you're planning. Alright, remember one thing: if they turn you away, don't expect me to forgive you. If you come here to beg me to take you back, I'll have you whipped until there's nothing left of you, and you know I'm not exaggerating.

"Breathe, SQ, breathe..." SQ thought to herself, standing in front of the door to the Surveying and Settlement Ministry bureau "you can do it, just knock on the door, and the conversation will flow on its own. If you chicken out now, you'll have to run away into the caverns where driders would certainly get you. Okay, here goes..."
As she was about to knock, a tired-looking male opened the door "You're gonna stand here the whole day or do you want something signed? If it's the latter, come back in, let's see... next Timber 23. I've got undercoffee to drink and the mistress is on a business trip to Stop-Bothering-Me"
for a moment SQ considered being compliant and going home, but then she remembered the situation she was in. "I... I'm here to... the notice on the wall... please..."
"Ah, that. Can you believe you're the first person to ever ask about this? That's nuts, isn't it? Oh, right, get six more people, supplies, tools and what not. I'll take care of the paperwork." The male slammed the door shut, leaving SQ confused for a few seconds.
"Have I just become an expedition leader?" the girl asked herself "And where am I gonna find six people willing to join me?"

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
Re: Less Crazy Modpack - Destination: Deepgleam
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 08:42:31 am »

I'm intrigued, even though I have no experience with mods whatsoever...unless editing the files to play as non-dwarves counts. :P

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 11:26:24 am »

This sounds interesting, I've never seen an over-modded game I didn't like.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 01:41:47 pm »

oh oh me pick me
btw you may have to deal with many bad puns
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 04:09:20 pm »

Glad I could inspire another modded labor of love, and that apparently Modded Hell is now the highest marker on the "Fuck, we modded it too much" scale  :P . And also, yay my mod is being used for something, admittedly before I actually made any of the cool stuff, but hey, you've got the mushroom clubs. It's ironic really, you decided to pick up all the mods I specifically avoided on the basis that they were either too much work or didn't really fit the mood, so I'm interested to see what they contain. I actually had drows in at some point, but they were consistently crashing the game, so good for you for either fixing them or being lucky enough to gen a world where they didn't break everything. I'll take a drow I guess, a fisher who doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 05:08:32 pm »

Glad I could inspire another modded labor of love, and that apparently Modded Hell is now the highest marker on the "Fuck, we modded it too much" scale  :P . And also, yay my mod is being used for something, admittedly before I actually made any of the cool stuff, but hey, you've got the mushroom clubs. It's ironic really, you decided to pick up all the mods I specifically avoided on the basis that they were either too much work or didn't really fit the mood, so I'm interested to see what they contain. I actually had drows in at some point, but they were consistently crashing the game, so good for you for either fixing them or being lucky enough to gen a world where they didn't break everything. I'll take a drow I guess, a fisher who doesn't really care about anything anymore.
more of "oh god we made some thing modded so much that physics drinks to forget that even happened"
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 02:12:25 am »

I actually had drows in at some point, but they were consistently crashing the game, so good for you for either fixing them or being lucky enough to gen a world where they didn't break everything. I'll take a drow I guess, a fisher who doesn't really care about anything anymore.

I haven't seen anything that could break the game in the raws, or at least I don't remember having trouble with this mod.
The only real problem is that there's only 50% chance to gen a world with drows, because there's so many civs and I decided to leave dwarves playable and updated as well.

Overall the whole thing was a good learning experience. Before that I didn't know that [NOEMOTION] makes civilized creatures unable to satisfy their needs. That would explain why Forgotten Realms Direforged's earth elementals and golems would become permanently distracted.
Reaction modding doesn't feel alien anymore, that I finally bothered to take a look at them. Speaking of reactions, I forgot to give drows the wonderworker from expanded good/evil regions. Actually forgot that I added that mod. Oops.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 10:17:29 am »

Interested, willing to take a drow of some sort, not sure how much RPing I'll do though

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 03:49:19 pm »

Turns out I've deleted plant_standard somewhere along the way. That would explain quite a lot. It's fixed now, but I'll have to gen a new world now.
Fixed half-assedly implemented Expanded Good/Evil Regions
Gave drows [STRANGE_MOODS]. Always bothers me when modders don't give it to playable civs. It's such an important feature for complete Dwarf Fortress experience

Anyway, I heard that there were no serious raw changes in the new version of DF, so I may as well wait for Dwarf Therapist to update.

Edit:
Added a few more mods: squamous's The Lunar Realms, SeiggrainHart's Seiggrain's Farming and stuff, Kazoo's Silk Eggs. Most spiders from various mods should lay silk eggs now.
Those weren't fun things to implement. Lunar Realms is another total conversion that modifies original files. Farming and stuff has mithril (present in drow mod) and orichalcum (Culture Shock , which I apparently tried to include at some point), and also a few typos in the raws. Silk Eggs were just annoying, and I'm pretty sure I missed some spiders, especially D&D spiders.

I wanted to write something today, but got too invested in adding more stuff. I might try to fully implement Culture Shock tomorrow. I remember getting discouraged by the number of items, especially weapons, but now I feel like I can get through that quickly.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 05:33:13 am »

Just want to confirm that you actually gave the drows the reactions from my mod, most of the plants are kinda useless without them.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 03:21:16 pm »

I should like to be drowed as a miner/Doctor/appraiser named "Fred the Mitey".
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 12:57:16 pm »

Just want to confirm that you actually gave the drows the reactions from my mod, most of the plants are kinda useless without them.

Yeah, both drows and dwarves got all those reactions, and they seem to work just fine.

Culture Shock is in with all of its add-ons by the way. There were some major problems, including duped entries, but it was nothing I couldn't fix. What's left to do now? I was thinking about including the Arctic Addition Mod by Malecus, but I'm not sure if raws are up to date. They probably are, considering they're from november 2014.

Sorry for the slow progress, but it's been a really tough week at work, and it's gonna be a tough weekend at school. Having said that, I'll probably get something done by monday

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 04:04:38 pm »

Hey guys, look what I made! I'm not satisfied with drows allying only with horrible monsters though. Apparently most races are good guys despite all those grimdark post-apocalyptic mods squamous keeps pumping out.

A couple of things: the modpack survived the update, Arctic Addition has been compiled and included, a decent world has been genned, but I'm not sure where to embark. Should I go for cold taiga, savage forest, tropical rainforest, savanna? I just don't know yet.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 06:24:42 pm »

You got skel-bros though, that could be a good thing.  And a savage savannah is fundamentally interesting, lotsa animals to fight, capture and, most importantly, eat.

Drow me as a mechanic/weapon-smith/something-useful-to-begin.

Personal items: I always grab a few boulders of tetrahedrite, it is reasonably cheap and grants two different, very useful metals.  Several logs, and some granite rocks.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14