Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: LCM - Dungeonevened - The End  (Read 38163 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: LCM - Dungeonevened - New version is up
« Reply #165 on: December 28, 2018, 02:30:25 pm »

Hey, cool, you used Primal. I should play this modpack sometime.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2018, 02:16:39 pm »

Gotta say, compiling this modpack has taught me a lot about raw modding. I feel comfortable with entities, understand reactions and interactions, can modify creatures to some extent. When I tried to learn on my own I just couldn't wrap my head around anything at all.

Hey, cool, you used Primal. I should play this modpack sometime.

Primal was a treat to go through, honestly. There was obviously some overlap with Saur Fortress, Scourge's extinct creatures, and Forgotten Realms Direforged, and I disagree with some decisions (Stygimoloch and Dracorex thing), but overall it was easy to implement and slightly modify, and I haven't fallen asleep checking every single creature, which sometimes happens with big mods (ZM5's Lands of Duality mod actually did make me doze off with its creatures being quite samey and, frankly, pretty uninspired).

As for a sequel...
There really isn't much to do in Dungeonevened right now, so I've already started making plans for the next fort. For starters, a world full of random, crazy civs is not really good for storytelling. I love what Cathar does with Mong Kima, how he tries to make the world seem alive; it's hard to do something like that when your civilization's closest neighbors are a random collection of bizarre monsters. I know it seems weird that I say it right after adding a whole bunch of outlandish civs to the modpack, but the next fort is going to use the modified version of the pack with only 16 civs, 4 in every faction. I already have some ideas:

Spoiler: Sequel plans - civs (click to show/hide)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2018, 04:53:22 pm »

Tbh I probably should have made less creatures for LoD, or atleast fused some of the biome sets - good biomes in particular gave me a bit of trouble in terms of thinking up creatures so thats probably why it gave you that feeling.

Ombragon

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLEEQUICK][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2018, 04:47:13 am »

A monstrous human-like heavy hitter eh? Why not Lizardmen ? Even maybe Dinosaur men if you apply the animal man creature variation to one of Primals/Scourge/Saur reptiles.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2018, 11:33:13 am »

A monstrous human-like heavy hitter eh? Why not Lizardmen ? Even maybe Dinosaur men if you apply the animal man creature variation to one of Primals/Scourge/Saur reptiles.
*cough cough mine already has animal men cough cough*

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2018, 02:30:48 pm »

Primal was a treat to go through, honestly.

Thank you for saying that!
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Ombragon

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLEEQUICK][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2018, 04:41:00 am »

*cough cough mine already has animal men cough cough*

That's true, and allosaur men are pretty powerful, played one in adventure mode once.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2019, 09:59:41 am »

Dinosaur men will have to be taken into consideration then. Raptor men are boring, though, and I don't want to overdo it. Triceratops men would probably be overdoing it, even though I like the idea. If I understand correctly, animal people's size is an average of the animal's size and 70000, which would bring Triceratops people to little above 6M, larger than an ogre. Allosaurus men would be 2M, which is more acceptable.
If we're talking animal men, I was also considering bear men, aurochs men or Smilodon men.
There's still time to think about it, since the current situation calls for a mostly story update. It's half-written already, but I haven't been in a mood for writing lately.

By the way, the modpack is updated to version 1.2.0. More Stone, Metals, Gem Mod by Urist McGoombaBrother added, plus some minor tweaks and changes. Now dwarves and drows can armor themselves with vanadium steel or hide safely in their painite-encrusted rhodochrosite fortresses.
I could have added that mod with slag and glaze, but I would feel like I'd have to add glaze and slag for other modded metals. Maybe one day we'll see feldspar porcelain large pots glazed with diamondium slag glaze, but not today.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2019, 01:15:21 pm »

It doesn't have to be just one kind of animal men. I could use the caste system to merge multiple kinds of Scourge's animal men into one seemingly multiracial creature if you want. Adjusting all the sizes to be equal would be easy as well, if you like.
My mods and forum games.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2019, 10:35:16 pm »

Hey hey, been a while, SQ. What exactly did I miss?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2019, 02:09:12 pm »

It doesn't have to be just one kind of animal men. I could use the caste system to merge multiple kinds of Scourge's animal men into one seemingly multiracial creature if you want. Adjusting all the sizes to be equal would be easy as well, if you like.

I more or less know how to work with castes, but I'm not gonna do it. Dinosaur men keeping together doesn't make more sense than lion men and hamster men forming one civ.
Some new options:
-owlbear men - found them recently and thought they were neat
-minotaurs - a minotaur is actually smaller than a troll, and the only thing that makes it dangerous are its natural skills in striking and wrestling.

In-game? A lot. Dungeonevened is a grand metropolis, and the very heart of drow civilization now, as opposed to a glorified hole in the ground it was when you last commented. The upper levels are getting their dirt floors and walls replaced with wood blocks, workshops are being replaced with gold and silver ones. We produce so much prepared food that we can easily buy whole caravans with just mussel roasts. We have 30 professional soldiers, most of them legendary, all equiped with diamondium armor with refined diamondium and silver weapons. There's also a squad of marksdrows recruited from legendary hunters. So far there was no enemy who was a serious threat to us.
Your drow is still leading his squad, but honestly I have no idea what he does in those three months a year when he's not training. He became a father when his wife gave birth during a huge clown siege they were both fighting against.

In modpack-compiling? Not that much. I haven't touched anything since the beginning up to version 1.0.0 I finished on December 24, then there were a few smaller updates. It was a huge update, and your mods, as many others, were updated in addition to new mods getting added.
Recently I dug out files for Dwarf Fortress from Scratch II, and it makes me want to commit death-pacito, since every single contributor was using notepad++ or whatever it's called, which makes the raws hard to read.

Currently I'm looking for a way to make a block of text more interesting. I may do some shitty art for the next update, who knows.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2019, 02:17:27 pm »

I more or less know how to work with castes, but I'm not gonna do it. Dinosaur men keeping together doesn't make more sense than lion men and hamster men forming one civ.
Some new options:
-owlbear men - found them recently and thought they were neat
-minotaurs - a minotaur is actually smaller than a troll, and the only thing that makes it dangerous are its natural skills in striking and wrestling.

In-game? A lot. Dungeonevened is a grand metropolis, and the very heart of drow civilization now, as opposed to a glorified hole in the ground it was when you last commented. The upper levels are getting their dirt floors and walls replaced with wood blocks, workshops are being replaced with gold and silver ones. We produce so much prepared food that we can easily buy whole caravans with just mussel roasts. We have 30 professional soldiers, most of them legendary, all equiped with diamondium armor with refined diamondium and silver weapons. There's also a squad of marksdrows recruited from legendary hunters. So far there was no enemy who was a serious threat to us.
Your drow is still leading his squad, but honestly I have no idea what he does in those three months a year when he's not training. He became a father when his wife gave birth during a huge clown siege they were both fighting against.

In modpack-compiling? Not that much. I haven't touched anything since the beginning up to version 1.0.0 I finished on December 24, then there were a few smaller updates. It was a huge update, and your mods, as many others, were updated in addition to new mods getting added.
Recently I dug out files for Dwarf Fortress from Scratch II, and it makes me want to commit death-pacito, since every single contributor was using notepad++ or whatever it's called, which makes the raws hard to read.

Currently I'm looking for a way to make a block of text more interesting. I may do some shitty art for the next update, who knows.

Bravo, we've come a long long way since those days, haven't we?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: LCM - Dungeonevened - Sorcerer-Goddess-Queen
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2019, 06:07:11 pm »

Oh, apparently we're not getting anywhere further because I fucked up the save somehow. I must have accidentally edited something in the save's raws instead of game raws and now everything is gone. Good thing it happened now when we were pretty much ready to wrap it up, just this update and the one after that, but I was so attached to that fort.

"You're probably all really disappointed that I made you get off your asses so late, huh? Don't you worry, 'cause we're fighting dark elves tonight, not any dangerous enemies. Half of them will probably run when they realize they stand no chance against us, and the remaining half probably forgot their weapons again." Freshcannon's half-hearted speech raised the mood of drow soldiers significantly. It was a promise they would be able to go back to their beds soon. "Imic, Asin, we're gonna wait south of the western gate. Nunore, try to get your watchmen on the walls. Snakes out!"

Over forty elven warriors and over thirty war horses gathered in the south. Curiously, the elves weren't riding the horses as logic would suggest. The whole army was a loosely organized horde with no squads or actual leader figures. Some horses seemed barely tame, running around frightened, even though the battle hasn't started yet.

Two giant bees somehow managed to get into the town unnoticed by anyone. Instead of wreaking havoc among the civilian drows, the insects started buzzing over a pot of mead in the food stockpile. A fisherman noticed that and cast faerie fire on them, which was a good enough sign for a drowspider to do what spiders do best - kill bugs.

(Yes, the spider is a scholar. No, it doesn't write books.)

The first dark elf to get close to the walls regreted his decision immediately. A steel bolt hit his shoulder, causing him to drop his mace.

Drow soldiers moved closer to bait reluctant dark elves closer to the walls. A few horses and a cravasi had to be taken care of first.

Chasing the panicked horses, some drows wandered too close to the dark elven army, triggering an all-out attack. Almost all-out, because some attackers decided to hide in trees to avoid certain death.

The dark elves stood little chance in a direct confrontation with the heroes of Dungeonevend. A wave of diamondium easily rolled over the invaders, leaving behind a pile of corpses.

Those elves who thought a high ground would save them didn't know the Silver Samurai's tenacity. In her misguided search for acceptance she climbed the paradise nut tree and slaughtered everyone up there.

The battle has come to an end, all dark elves have been slain, many horses ran away, none of the drows was hurt.

---

Cleaning up after battle was briefly interrupted by an enormous pelagic caravan. The plans have changed - instead of hauling trash to stockpiles, the drows were bringing it to the trade depot.

"Mister Fred! Mister Fred!" Imic shouted, squeezing through a crowd of haulers to talk with the administrator. "We can't sell them our crowns! This is important!"

"Why is it so important, Imic?"

"I like crowns, and those fish people wouldn't appreciate them enough." Imic looked at Fred pleadingly. Fred wasn't sure if that was an official mandate, but he decided to play it safe and not sell a single crown.

Later the pelagics came back to their oceanic kingdom with unbelievable wealth, and all of that in exchange for a few metal bars and few animals.

---

Athara, Liceyi, Tharumi and Uthimi had to examine the purchased animals on their own, because SQ and Scourge were training in the barracks.

"Let's see, two more female thunderlizards, as if we didn't have enough eggs in the stockpile, a male stork and a female Megalania to complete breeding pairs, a giant lunar mantis to replace the one that died of old age not so long ago..." Athara listed, before moving to completely new animals.

"A plesiosaur of some kind. Teeth jutting out of the sides of its maw like this suggest that it feeds on animals that are hard to get a good grip on."

"Like fish and mollusks. Who would have guessed an aquatic predator would eat fish and mollusks?" Tharumi wasn't impressed by Athara's deduction.

"It could as well eat hard crustaceans, maybe coral or sponges. Sometimes things aren't that simple, Tharumi."

"They were this simple in this instance."

"I'm at a loss." Tharumi said, looking at a huge beaked monster locked in the next cage.

"Ha! Good thing you have me, an expert on all things alive." Uthimi boasted. "You can tell a lot about an animal by the shape of its beak. This creature is... umm... eh..."

"You don't have to pretend, Uthimi. It's okay not to know something from time to time." Lerine tried to console the young woman, but all his words did was turning Uthimi's confused anxiety into anger.

"Maybe it's okay for you to be ignorant, but I have reputation to live up to! Let's move on!"

"Remember the worms that brigands brought on the last siege? This is one of them." Tharumi brushed her hand on the giant bristleworm's slimy body. The rest of the menagerie staff stepped away, knowing what to expect. "Oh come on, Scourge would always fall for that!"

"Stupid jokes aside, we could replace the war mottleworms with those clearly superior muckwroms." Athara commented, still closely observing Tharumi's hand. "Even though our warriors could easily defeat them, I think the dark elves would have more trouble."

"Yes, but we only have a single one. What's next?"

"Oh, look, a giant crab with a metal shell. You really need to hit its weak spot for massive damage, huh?" Lerine said.

Uthimi didn't like Lerine's comment at all. She had nothing but utmost respect for crabs. "Why would you want to hurt such a magnificent creature? You're such a jerk, Lerine!"

"Aren't you crabby today, Uthimi. I've got this sudden craving for seafood... Let's go get lunch." Tharumi suggested. As she was leaving the storage room, she patted Lerine on the back. It took Lerine a while to realize his brand new silver silk piwafwi was covered in muckworm slime.

---

Scourge lashed at SQ with her mithril scourge, but the house overseer dodged it effortlessly, then swung her dagger so close to Scourge's face that the blade hit her shell earring.

"Gah! Be careful, SQ, This is a real weapon, not a toy!" Scourge didn't have a great time at the training. The mere thought of hurting any of her friends was enough to make her shudder with dread. As much as she wished it would be otherwise, she wasn't a warrior material.

"We're not gonna learn anything if we don't go all out! A troll from the caverns won't stop trying to eat you just because you haven't hit it as hard as you could!"

"SQ, this is a freaking blade tied to a rope, I'm not hitting you with it!"

"Excuse me..." A voice of an unfamilliar woman said, somehow gathering enough attention to stop all soldiers from training despite not even speaking too loudly. "Thank you for your attention. Our mistress wishes to talk to the house overseer, and I've been told I can find miss SQ Hateromanced here.

SQ froze as everyone's attention concentrated on her. Scourge started nudging her gently towards the door, and when that didn't work, she put some more strenght into pushing, and finally got her out of the barracks.

"This is gonna be a disaster..." The stranger whispered to herself, then she addressed Scourge: "I see how it is. We're probably going to need you, so come with us."

"I would follow you anyway, but thanks."

---

The 'mistress' the woman spoke about was standing alone in the field with her eyes closed. She didn't look exceptional - she was wearing mostly undyed clothes except for a blue shirt and mismatched shoes. A cheap-looking bone amulet and an earring made of what looked like a toenail really didn't shout 'mistress' to anyone looking at her.

"Okay, first thing you need to know, you're about to meet the grand matriarch, Yetine Shadycarries. She'll be, uh... hard to talk to. Try not to upset her too much, because..."

"The... The grand matriarch?! I... I can't! I really can't do that!" SQ panicked. The grand matriarch seemed to have overheard that and opened her eyes unsettlingly widely, which SQ noticed and got even more spooked by. "I gotta go! Agh!" Scourge grabbed SQ by the collar of her shirt. It was not the time to run away.

---

"I... ah... your m-ma... maje...." SQ stuttered, trying to introduce herself to the queen.

"Y-you... umm... p-plea... no, I..." Yetine stuttered back.

Both women were shaking and breathing heavily. Some strange feeling of rapidly growing unease started filling Scourge's and the courtier's hearts too.

"I think we should discuss this some other time." Nuwetha Ruthlesseven, the courtier signed to Scourge from behind Yetine's back before taking the grand matriarch to the side.

---

After the arrival of Yetine Shadycarries the whole city, now a mountainhome, buzzed with excited whispers, nervous murmurs, and worried grumbles. A regular overseer would have called for a celebration of some kind to show her people they should rejoice, but the overseer of Dungeonevened was hardly regular. Cavernhall was unusually packed because of all this commotion, yet against all odds SQ and Scourge managed to find some space for themselves. This space was invaded by overly excited ZM5 after a few minutes, but all things considered it could have been someone worse. SQ was too busy contemplating her failure to introduce herself to acknowledge his arrival anyway.

"A living goddess, the real deal! Is she really as divine as I imagine her to be?" ZM5 wanted all the information he could get before meeting the matriarch himself.

"Hmm... She's pretty, very much so in fact. Tall, long ears, pure white hair, completely flawless skin, just one or two notches below me, if you don't mind me saying that. But I didn't really see any divinity in her, though now that you mention it..." Scourge's words were interrupted by Nuwetha Ruthlesseven who appeared seemingly out of nowhere. Scourge and SQ just then realized that the courtier looked like a husk of a drow, as if she hadn't slept since previous century.

"Divine? No. Arcane? Perhaps." Nuwetha said, sitting down near the three drows. "Overseer, don't be too upset that Her Majesty doesn't seem to like you. It's really difficult to win her trust, and out of all people you're the one who should understand that the best."

"Hmm? I don't think I follow." SQ snapped out of daze and looked in general direction of Nuwetha.

"She means that the high matriarch has the same problem with interacting with people as you." Scourge clarified.

"It's actually a lot worse in Yet... Her Majesty's case. You can talk to complete strangers, provided you're not too far out of your comfort zone. I'm Nuwetha Ruthlesseven, by the way. Her Majesty never had a chance to practice communication. If she feels upset she loses control of her powers, as you could experience yourself when she gave us all a feeling of impending doom. I was trying to help her from the day we met, but I didn't want to endanger anyone needlessly. You see, Her Majesty is an alchemancer of the melancholic kind."

"A sorceress?" ZM5 butted in.

"That would make her really mad, and that could potentially end badly. From what I heard, Her Majesty learned to control black bile from a coal slab she found in the palatial library."

"Her Majesty never let anybody see the slab, and nobody ever will, since she smashed it to pieces a few moments ago. It's a huge loss, but at least it was an inanimate object, not some unfortunate drow's brain."

"Should you be telling us about all this?" SQ asked anxiously. A lot of drows in Dungeonevened were somewhat eccentric, but neither of them was an emotionally unstable sorcerer up to that day.

"Of course she should, it's a matter of safety. It might just answer a few questions for us..." ZM5 winked at the overseer discretely. She wasn't really looking at him, but even if she had, she wouldn't have understood what he was suggesting.

"Who are you two anyway? Ah, never mind, the male is right, if Yetine is to walk among all those people, they should know why they randomly start to break down. Barmaid, barley wine!" Nuwetha quickly got comfortable around her new acquaintances. She might have been talking about arcane secrets of the crown, but at least she didn't have to deal with self-important nobles and officials.

Spoiler: Meeting people: Imic (click to show/hide)

"The most important aspect of her magic is how it affects her. You see, her majesty's body is pure and perfect." Nuwetha said, looking suspiciously into her goblet of barley wine. Why did this supposedly exotic drink look like regular cave barley beer?

ZM5 clapped his hands and eyes lit up with excitement. "Ooh, now I can't wait to meet her even more than before!"

Scourge, having actually seen Yetine, wasn't as impressed as her friend. "Perfect body? Not really. Her legs are nice, but she could use a little more volume in the chest department."

"It's the ideal female elven physique, Scourge; like it or not, but less really is more." SQ said, pushing her own underdeveloped chest out proudly and grinning smugly.

"Fine, I'll let you have this one, but Her Highness isn't flat as a board either, so don't take it as a boost to your already overinflated ego."

"Huh? What do you... H-hey!"

"Can we stop talking about Yetine's... shape, and continue discussing her magical abilities? When I said her body is perfect, I meant that she has much more control over everything going on inside her than non-alchemancers - she doesn't need to sleep, never gets tired, can't get sick, and I'm pretty sure if she was a mortal she wouldn't age, if that makes any sense. She still does have to eat, drink and breathe, and she still bleeds when wounded. Only when wounded, though."

Nuwetha finally accepted that surface barley wasn't much different from cave barley. A woman of her position shouldn't be drinking slave beer, but she didn't want to offend anyone by refusing to do it. While she was sipping her barley wine slowly, she continued talking about Yetine's abilities. "Well, it's a weird thing with her eating and drinking. She can make people, including herself, not need sustenance for a while. She calls this spell 'melancholic persistence'. The affected person always feels severe anxiety though, so Yetine doesn't use that one too much."

"She must have used that on someone if you know how that works." ZM5 inquired.

"Yes, there's a sad story behind it... Most people can endure it and get better after a while, but on that one occasion she also shared her purity with one of few people she ever considered her friends, which resulted in a double dose of magical depression. I really don't like to talk about that incident..."

"I guess I'll ask her about that myself... If I dare. She's a goddess after all."

"She's not a goddess, Five!" Scourge finally snapped. ZM5 was literally the only drow worshipping the queen, and Scourge was absolutely sick of it.

"Then what is she? She can perform miracles, is more beautiful than any drow, doesn't age... well, none of us does, but she doesn't age the most. This is beyond simple magic."

"Oh, shut up already, or I'll tell Nuwetha about your creepy shrine. Oh, wait, I just did. Heh heh." Scourge chuckled mischievously.

"Guys, I dozed off for a while. Could you give me a quick rundown on what you've been arguing about?" SQ butted in.

"I shouldn't have left Murknightmare after all..." Nuwetha grumbled, then started looking around the tavern. "Barmaid, more barley wine!"

"This is something I find really creepy: Yetine, as emotionally immature as she is, can make people feel debilitating pain just by flicking her finger in their general direction. She literally tortured two dwarven assassins to death, and is now wearing parts of them as jewellery." That was definitely not something Nuwetha was supposed to tell anybody, but the beer was getting to her head.

Scourge wasn't impressed by that. "Big deal, SQ can cause physical pain by saying realy dumb things; no need to move her hands or even think."

"It's really ironic that you're the one saying that, Scourge. Have I got it right? Is that what irony is?" The overseer looked around to see the others' reactions.

"Ouch! Thanks for proving my point."

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2019, 06:21:32 pm »

The four drows were sitting in awkward silence. Nuwetha had nothing more to say, SQ didn't want to say anything, Scourge was desperately trying to come up with something, but she couldn't, and ZM5 was deep in thought for several reasons.

"I told you all of Yetine's greatest secrets just now." Nuwetha suddenly said. "Now it's your turn to tell me about your special powers."

"You are aware that regular people are limited to two spells, right? Magic isn't exactly a common thing." Scourge assumed Nuwetha had too much barley wine, and maybe she was right.

"You can have special skills without magic. Go on."

"Okay... I know some rothe lights signals and I can imitate them with my faerie fire." Scourge said, making a cup on the table flash with magical light.

"Every rothegirl and rotheboy worth their spurs should be able to do that. I can do that, and I've never been close to one of those filthy beasts." Nuwetha cast faerie fire at her goblet, and while the pattern wasn't exactly right, Scourge didn't know enough about light signals to point it out.

"Good thing I don't have spurs so I don't have to know everything. It would be nice to have spurs that jingle jangle jingle though..." Scourge thought out loud.

"I regularly bring a knife to a sword fight and win every time. That isn't something everyone can do, is it, my insomniac princess?" ZM5 boasted.

"Big deal, you haven't found a match for yourself YET. Nobody is unbeatable." The courtier's eyelids were getting heavier and heavier. She was certainly difficult to entertain.

"We may have to use our secret weapon." Scourge suggested.

"No, she's not gonna believe us; it's just too weird." ZM5 protested. "SQ, can you still do that?"

"Are you guys really talking about that?" SQ asked with a trace of pride in her voice. She hasn't had many opportunities to reveal her secret ability, but so far everyone's been impressed. "I can lick my own elbow."

"No you can't, that's impossible!" Nuwetha's drowsiness completely disappeared. Such audacity to claim to be able to do something like that!

"She may not look like it, but she's super flexible. In the physical sense, that is." ZM5 explained, ruffling the overseer's hair. He accidentally touched the tip of her ear, which sent a shiver down her spine, so he withdrew his hand as fast as he could.

"Oh my." Scourge let her imagination run wild for a moment when she heard what ZM5 said. She realized she started blushing, so she regained control over herself and confirmed "Yeah, she could always do that. Show her, SQ!"

SQ and ZM5 left Cavernhall together. The overseer was supposed to go talk to Fred about new bedrooms, including the royal bedroom and throne room, but the rogue had a different idea. Using a simple psychological trick, he took advantage of SQ's dependent personality by simply walking past the staircase into the museum. The woman followed him without thinking, just as planned.
The museum was empty as usual, devoid of any life except for clothes moths circling over the artifact silk glove, and spiders weaving their webs to feast on those moths.

"Hey, why did you bring me here? I have stuff to do!" The house overseer tried to look annoyed, but she was more embarrassed she blindly folowed ZM5 like that.

"I never asked you to follow me here, but since we're here, we can do something I wanted to do for a very long time now."

"W-wait, no! I'm not ready for... I mean... i-if you really... if you really want it this much..."

Much to the rogue's shock, SQ seemed utterly terrified, but instead of going pale grey, she turned deep purple. Suddenly it struck him.
"Oh, OH! No, that's not it! That's not it at all! That would feel so wrong! I..." ZM5 felt as uncomfortable as SQ, maybe even more. The two drows stood there in silence, looking away from each other for a good minute, but waiting didn't seem to improve the mood after that misunderstanding. "That... that was awkward, wasn't it? I just wanted to get to the next step of the investigation, now that a new suspect has appeared. If you don't feel up to it right now, then..."

"I'll be fine. What are we doing now?" SQ put on a bright smile to mask her uneasiness. It wasn't very convincing.

"I'll be the accuser, you'll be the defense. Are you ready? Let the game begin!" ZM5 announced eagerly. "I accuse Yetine Shadycarries, the grand matriarch of the Labirynthine Nightmare, of the murder of Ena Shadydevil!"

Spoiler: Mock trial (click to show/hide)

ZM5 was satisfied with the outcome of that convesation. It was just a matter of time until he would be able to finally take his mind of that case, although there was just a one more question to answer: "SQ, do you have a plan how to approach her? I mean, of course your plan is to leave it to me, but I haven't even seen Her Majesty yet, and you'll be meeting with her again soon anyway."

"I guess talking face to face is the only option. I don't want Nuwetha to get involved, and I also don't want to stress mistress Yetine too much. I know how it feels, and I know what I would do if I could do things she can."

"I'll feel better if you don't tell me, baby doll."

-Dark elves failed to provide any challenge for our soldiers, but again, nobody expected them to.
-Grand Matriarch has arrived. She's a melancholic alchemancer, which means she can manipulate sadness.

Since I've messed up badly with the save, I've decided to finish this story quicky, which means not only that the next update should be the last one, but also that I didn't feel like actually making that shitty art I considered doing. Actually I made a single picture, and I guess I can post it as official art.

The mock trial part was supposed to have picture like that to give it sort of Ace Attorney feel. This was meant to be SQ presenting an argument. Mind that according to in-game descriptions literally all drows had thick lips and wide noses with convex bridges, so I decided to ignore all descriptions except for size. Not that it matters, since her she has no mouth or fingers, and her nose is just a vague outline. Well, it's just a MS Paint doodle.
That reminded me - gotta add vests to drows in the next fort.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2019, 06:49:36 am »

RIP Dungeonevened, accidentally slain by the forumite deity SQman. I imagine some kind of spacetime ripple destroyed the world shortly after the next update you have planned. Bit of a shame imo, now that the grand matriarch arrived.

Any special plans for the sequel besides using the updated version of the modpack? If wanted I could potentially make some creatures for story purposes - returning home tomorrow after the holidays so I'd be ready to work on mods again.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14