Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The first stressed dwarf in years  (Read 10273 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: The first stressed dwarf in years
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 06:23:46 am »

It's not the death. It's the specific vengeance mechanic. When a dwarf sees another dwarf in combat, he generally decides to join in. And when he joins the fight, he has a chance to take a lump of stress as vengeance.
Bird watching can also count as "combat".
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 09:59:26 am »

Update: Edyom is Haggard and in depression, now!

She lies on the floor of The Dumpling of Deciding( tavern), flashing a brown exclamation mark. I will let her kill troglodytes. Hopefully she will recover.

edit: There are no troglodytes, so she was ordered to kill emus on the surface. When Edyom went to the surface, she puked and staggered and couldn't catch up with the emu. Besides, the sun made her even more depressed. "Edyom Oltaringiz has been utterly harrowed by the nightmare that is her tragic life."

I will let she not do any hauling.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:27:37 am by §k »
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 01:20:24 pm »

First things first: is it now possible to insta-insane a dwarf with syndromes?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 06:10:48 pm »

Apparently, "stumbling around obliviously" is not a death sentence anymore. I thought my mason was sure dead, but she recovered eventually. Too bad my fortress succumbed to an invasion shortly after.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 06:31:49 pm »

Making temples for specific deities is necessary for reducing stress. They get the enraptured thought from visiting their god's temple which is has the strongest happiness modifier possible, and it'll stick in their memories and repeat itself every now and then.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 07:55:06 pm »

A haggard dwarf just threw a tantrum and killed my mayor! This hasn't happened in years, this update is great!

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 08:18:09 pm »

Also some pretty nice buffs from falling in love, getting married or having children. Perhaps taking a more active approach in getting your dwarfs hooked up is needed now.

Sadly half of these systems doesn't work well together. In the past where the stress system was in full effect, we also had a working social system, where dwarfs would make friends and partners on their own, and dwarfs in charge would improve their social skills.
Now we have inns, temples and military schedules. So it will require some micro management, where you disable or delete all meeting zones, make small bedrooms for the ones you want socializing, disable any military training and most of their jobs, then it might work. But ofcause that means no place to pray or read a book to relive stress...

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 08:20:20 pm »

Also some pretty nice buffs from falling in love, getting married or having children. Perhaps taking a more active approach in getting your dwarfs hooked up is needed now.

Sadly half of these systems doesn't work well together. In the past where the stress system was in full effect, we also had a working social system, where dwarfs would make friends and partners on their own, and dwarfs in charge would improve their social skills.
Now we have inns, temples and military schedules. So it will require some micro management, where you disable or delete all meeting zones, make small bedrooms for the ones you want socializing, disable any military training and most of their jobs, then it might work. But ofcause that means no place to pray or read a book to relive stress...

Social relationships do feel kinda broken at the moment, they rarely happen.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 09:39:50 pm »

I'm 99% sure the problem/bug is that dwarves will only form relationships when idle and adjacent to other dwarves, which never happens if you have a library/tavern/temple, as they will not stand idle next to each other but instead read/socialize/pray. Interestingly, this means that the socialize job does not actually help your dwarves form relationships.

If you force dwarves to be idle and adjacent to each other, they will form relationships as intended, however.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 11:51:40 pm »

Perhaps it would be a good idea to report it, then, so that Toady can fix it.
It's this one, I think. Maybe there's a couple of others mentioning similar observations. Can't recall.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8584

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 02:00:24 am »

Apparently, "stumbling around obliviously" is not a death sentence anymore. I thought my mason was sure dead, but she recovered eventually. Too bad my fortress succumbed to an invasion shortly after.
It's actually a new and separate thing, equivalent to a tantrum. Obliviousness is a precursor to going stark raving mad.

Tantrums lead to berserk. Depression leads to melancholy. Dwarves that will go catatonic are only mentioned as "drawn and haggard", I think.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 02:04:06 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 02:14:24 am »

Well at least we know which ones to section before they snap. 
Do we know the exact stress effects of each memory yet? 
Back in .34 I would make a 'happy thought asylum' for tantrumming dwarves to get them to calm down. All statues and engraved walls.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 03:58:20 am »

Well at least we know which ones to section before they snap. 
Do we know the exact stress effects of each memory yet? 
Back in .34 I would make a 'happy thought asylum' for tantrumming dwarves to get them to calm down. All statues and engraved walls.
Statues of gods known for cursing defilers, I presume ;)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 06:21:50 am »

Admittedly that's a cure.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 06:33:02 am »

Half of my fort is currently destroyed by stress.  I've had something around a dozen dwarves die already from depression.  Fort's something just under three years old.

I embarked in a nice location save for the fact that it's immediately next to a tower on the world map.  The first year everything was going great.  We got our first three dwarf migrant wave, bringing us up to ten, then autumn came.  Instead of a dwarven caravan, we got an undead invasion.  Absolutely unable to deal with it, we needed to turtle.  Thankfully, I had just opened up the caverns and had a few monster slayers on staff, so things were looking good.

Then something like a week later in-game, a forgotten beast made out of coral with deadly dust showed up.  Casualties were heavy.  We turtled on the top side for something like a year and a quarter before being able to scare off the necromancer and pick apart the remaining undead, again with heavy casualties in both monster slayers and core fortress citizens.  Without migrant waves and with attrition piling up, we were down to four useful dwarves, all heavily stressed, and a couple dozen monster slayers.  Focused solely on feeding the slayers, corpses piled up and rotted around the fortress for lack of anyone on cleanup duty.

When we finally received a migrant wave, it was something like 15 assorted dwarves.  Before the next wave hit, two thirds of those had gone haggard with stress with a handful going terminal - either dead or on their way.  Two more migrant waves saw some cleanup accomplished and a dilution of the critical stress levels with some healthy dwarves in the fort.

Then another forgotten beast showed up in the first cavern level and killed / wounded a dozen more dwarves.  Hopefully this time we're not so overwhelmed that we can at least clean up the mess and avoid the ensuing hauntings, but the stress is already taking its toll on the last migrant waves received thus far.

Finally another autumn has rolled around, and I'm looking forward to our first dwarven caravan in the history of the fort.  But of course instead we get another undead invasion, this one quite large - again we're totally unable to handle such a number of undead.  Turtling again - and the undead have spilled out into the first cavern layer.  At least we still have the second and third at our disposal - and maybe I can even get them trapped down there if I'm careful about it.

IT'S GLORIOUS.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6