Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The first stressed dwarf in years  (Read 10391 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: The first stressed dwarf in years
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2018, 02:33:52 am »

The current system encourages outsourcing killing and cleaning to others, and other means, than military and dwarf cleaners. Like sending monster slayers to caverns (and leave their bodies and equipment where they fell), or cage traps, atom smashers, lava etc. on surface. Maybe sending dwarves abroad on raids, so citizens won't see the ugliness of war.

It's kind of like real life, but it's not a good DF version for experiencing traditional dwarven... values.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2018, 02:54:20 am »

Does returning from a successful raid provide a happy thought?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2018, 03:09:37 am »

Does returning from a successful raid provide a happy thought?
Raids don't produce any thoughts at all right now. And don't satisfy any needs either.
Toady says he might look at it when he looks at memories for historical characters (although isn't sure if he'll get to that this time).

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2018, 09:07:17 am »

I just completed a few small 3x3 temples for each of my dorfs' gods, and all the red arrows disappeared after a few days. That enraptured thought must be powerful.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2018, 04:45:27 pm »

I just completed a few small 3x3 temples for each of my dorfs' gods, and all the red arrows disappeared after a few days. That enraptured thought must be powerful.

It's one of the most powerful positive thoughts in the game. There aren't any with a stronger impact, though there are equivalent ones. The problem  is that it can occupy 1/8 short term and 1/8 long term memory slots while dead goblins can take up all 14 others... I'm doing an experiment to see if I can get it to repeat.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2018, 05:42:02 pm »

why not 8 temples
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2018, 05:52:37 pm »

It's one of the most powerful positive thoughts in the game. There aren't any with a stronger impact, though there are equivalent ones. The problem  is that it can occupy 1/8 short term and 1/8 long term memory slots while dead goblins can take up all 14 others... I'm doing an experiment to see if I can get it to repeat.
What are the equivalent positive thoughts? The sanity of a fortress full of atheist wild dwarves is depending on your answer. :)

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2018, 06:19:36 pm »

cats
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2018, 08:49:20 am »

why not 8 temples

You can. Problem is, even the most religious Dwarf only worships maybe two or three gods. Also getting Dwarves to pray to their second god may be mildly buggy, so usually they are enraptured from praying to just one.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2018, 08:51:10 am »

What are the equivalent positive thoughts? The sanity of a fortress full of atheist wild dwarves is depending on your answer. :)

A nearly complete table can be found on the Wiki here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Emotion

It looks like it may not be completely updated with the new booze changes, but it covers most everything else.

Poopicus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2018, 11:52:42 am »

Currently having problems with dwarfs getting horrified by crundle and troglodyte corpses. About a fifth of the fort has high stress due to it. We haven’t had a single invasion yet.

I can see getting upset over things like invading goblin corpses, but being on the brink of depression cause you’re feeling bad for the murderous cave monsters? Seeing non-friendly corpses should not give this much of penalty. I can only dread what’s going to happen post first siege cleanup!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2018, 11:53:59 am »

Currently having problems with dwarfs getting horrified by crundle and troglodyte corpses. About a fifth of the fort has high stress due to it. We haven’t had a single invasion yet.

I can see getting upset over things like invading goblin corpses, but being on the brink of depression cause you’re feeling bad for the murderous cave monsters? Seeing non-friendly corpses should not give this much of penalty. I can only dread what’s going to happen post first siege cleanup!

It was kinda hilarious how my perfect little fort went from fairly happy to depressed and rioting after my first undead siege. Almost comical really
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Poopicus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2018, 12:08:15 pm »

It was kinda hilarious how my perfect little fort went from fairly happy to depressed and rioting after my first undead siege. Almost comical really
Honestly I think there should be a thought bonus for fending off sieges. Like “Urist feels triumphant after the complete decimation of an invading force” after pushing a seige back with no casualties.

Stuff like undead sieges should absolutely be stressful for dwarfs, but they should be stressed out because of the actual siege and not because the military had the audacity to kill the invaders.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2018, 12:16:49 pm »

Well, I've never seen the corpse of an undead former sapient IRL, but I'd expect it would look very much like a regular corpse of a sapient. However, DF treats corpses of undead former sapients as refuse rather than corpses, and according to that logic corpses of undead former sapients ought to have the same horror impact as the corpse of any old dead animal.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2018, 11:35:44 pm »

After fighting an ambush in a reanimating biome in .10, one of my soldiers looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My best plan is to forbid all my books to get her out of library and into the tavern and the temples. Bedrooms, food, and dining rooms are excellent. Are there any other stratagems for avoiding a descent into madness?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6