Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The first stressed dwarf in years  (Read 10275 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The first stressed dwarf in years
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2018, 04:18:53 am »

@Leonidas: Why would you want to get your dorf out of the library? Reading satisfies the need for introspection and may also result in happy thoughts about "learning" books and their contents.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2018, 04:58:37 am »

@Leonidas: Why would you want to get your dorf out of the library?

Here's my reasoning: Start with this explanation of the new emotion system.
The problem is that seeing people killed or seeing bodies generates the most powerful negative thoughts in the game. With the new memory system there are sixteen (8 short term/seasonal, 8 long term/annual) slots for memories. The stronger a good or bad thought, the more likely it is to take up a short term slot, and the more likely it is to eventually take a long term slot.

The negative thoughts from death and corpses are the strongest in the game so they are basically guaranteed to take a slot each. According to the emotions page on the wiki it takes communing with a god, playing with a child, or something equally positive to generate an equally powerful good thought.

On the emotion chart we want the -1 entries, since those should be most likely to counteract the horror: Adoration, Bliss, Delight, Joy, Jubilation, Love, Lust, and Rapture.
Looking through my dwarves, I'm seeing Bliss from dining and sleeping, Delight from meals and performances, and Rapture from prayer and owning fine items.

When I look at my scholars, their stress reduction from reading is Interest and Content, which are the weakest possible stress reduction.

My conclusion: To de-stress dwarves, you want them in the temple or the tavern. Every day that they're reading in the library is a day that they aren't praying or listening to poetry. So the library is closed until 44.11. And I'm considering a civilian alert burrow on the tavern, to force-feed them entertainment until they cheer up.

Edit: I should note that this is all anticipatory. My dwarves aren't stressed yet. Only five of them have positive stress. But this emotion system seems to move slowly with strong momentum, so I want to get out in front of it before it runs me over.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:01:14 am by Leonidas »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2018, 02:54:32 pm »

Is there any downside to having all of your dwarves "not care about anything anymore"? Producing that state was one of the aims of the dwarven daycare project, as I recall. More alcohol might be needed, but that can be taken care of with bigger fields and more brewers/stills, and is the only drawback I can think of.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2018, 06:02:17 pm »

I'm always glad to see "she didn't feel anything," but does anybody (other than Toady) know what makes some dwarves horrified and others indifferent?

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2018, 02:40:54 pm »

The current system encourages outsourcing killing and cleaning to others, and other means, than military and dwarf cleaners. Like sending monster slayers to caverns (and leave their bodies and equipment where they fell), or cage traps, atom smashers, lava etc. on surface. Maybe sending dwarves abroad on raids, so citizens won't see the ugliness of war.

It's kind of like real life, but it's not a good DF version for experiencing traditional dwarven... values.

May I bring this mighty dwarfy contraption called "Cycling magmatic siege killer to your attention good sir   8)

I never built it myself as of yet, but it sure as HFS is one of my long term goals.

Edit :

On a side note, one of my two dangerously stressed dwarves in an invasion-free fortress got stressed by "Pondering Large Numbers". I immediately asked myself : "Uhm, like, five ??" What's wrong with her, seriously. She also misses a good speech, but I have no idea how to make her give one ( Speaker Skill is Very Rusty  :'( )
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:44:40 pm by hanni79 »

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2018, 07:17:27 pm »

On a side note, one of my two dangerously stressed dwarves in an invasion-free fortress got stressed by "Pondering Large Numbers". I immediately asked myself : "Uhm, like, five ??" What's wrong with her, seriously. She also misses a good speech, but I have no idea how to make her give one ( Speaker Skill is Very Rusty  :'( )
The stress problems in 44.10 aren't just about combat and dead bodies. Certain personalities will constantly gain stress, no matter what you do do. I've forced my dwarves into civ burrows with no jobs to do, and made them hear a month of mediocre poetry, and they still gained stress.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2018, 11:15:24 pm »

On a side note, one of my two dangerously stressed dwarves in an invasion-free fortress got stressed by "Pondering Large Numbers". I immediately asked myself : "Uhm, like, five ??" What's wrong with her, seriously.
"Ten."

Large Numbers is a scholar topic. She probably hates knowledge.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]