Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The first stressed dwarf in years  (Read 10271 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The first stressed dwarf in years
« on: May 06, 2018, 09:31:49 am »

"Over the long term, Edyom Oltaringiz has been under a great deal of stress."

She's lying on the floor, horrified by chunks of human soldiers and horses, flashing the red downward arrow that I haven't seen in many years!
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
Re: The first stressed dwarf in years
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 10:10:04 am »

Haha, I just had the same in my current fort. A lack of things to do and several gruesome battles were enough to get it. Honestly I was quite surprised when I saw it, as I don't think I saw a flashing red arrow since 34.11.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 10:27:30 am »

This...is...beautiful  :'(

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 11:01:59 am »

I've seen red arrow in v0.40+.x, but not only it is rare, always when it happens I'm like "really? now?". As if the trigger wasn't anything that important, compared to other things that happened, so it's unexpected. Maybe it is a result of accumulated stress. One guy with that effect was just a military, who liked doing some civilian job, but couldn't, because he was often scheduled for military duty. And when he wasn't scheduled then someone else was taking the materials, or workshop. It wasn't anything gruesome at all. More like "Argh! I REALLY want to blow... glass!"

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 12:55:17 pm »

Susceptibility to stress is huge. After a few tantrums, I put my stress-suscpeptible in a separate squad that just sits in the library and ponders scholarly topics.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 01:40:10 pm »

is this after the update?
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 03:48:32 pm »

I haven't gotten around to updating my current fort yet, although I will be shortly. This happened in 44.09.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 04:05:04 pm »

is this after the update?
My stresed dwarves were under 44.05. I made the mistake of butchering out in the open, in a reanimating biome. Every time a piece of skin started to crawl around, everyone pounced on it and got stress from vengeance. Now the butchering is sealed away, but cleaning up after a siege with reanimation is still a big stress problem.

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 05:34:52 pm »

If dwarves respond to stress in relation to their dispositions, then that's fine! Working as intended.

But if EVERY dwarf struggles with siege cleanup, then it seems like a problem. A community needs its tough members as much as its softies. Shoulders to cry on; and shoulders to heave wheelbarrows full of mutilated goblins, in this example...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:36:25 pm by Levity »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 05:45:56 pm »

If dwarves respond to stress in relation to their dispositions, then that's fine! Working as intended.

But if EVERY dwarf struggles with siege cleanup, then it seems like a problem. A community needs its tough members as much as its softies. Shoulders to cry on; and shoulders to heave wheelbarrows full of mutilated goblins, in this example...
Yeah, some tough emotionless dorfs are needed for corpse duty. Ex-soldiers who no longer feel anything, I guess.

Of course when battlefield scavengers and corpse eating wildlife are introduced along with the option to send out armies to fight away from home, it becomes a less essential fix. Being sieged was historically incredibly stressful.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 12:05:19 am »

There's some mechanism at work that reduces the chance for a stress hit for a given event. At least, that's how I interpret statements such as, "I was attacked by the dead. I am not upset by this." Maybe it's the discipline skill.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 12:39:04 am »

There's some mechanism at work that reduces the chance for a stress hit for a given event. At least, that's how I interpret statements such as, "I was attacked by the dead. I am not upset by this." Maybe it's the discipline skill.
It's the STRESS_VULNERABILITY trait. I had 3 dwarves that eventually got stressed in the previous "no stress" versions, with one of them throwing constant tantrums. DT confirmed they all had high stress propensity, with the highest among them being the tantrumer. The buildup of stress seemed to be mostly due to nausea from the sun.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 02:42:37 am »

Finally! The game lost of lot of interest for me since the dwarves stopped caring about anything. I mean, I did not bother giving them beds and clothing anymore seeing how little they were affected.

I suggest putting your military off duty to clean up a siege, at least until the gobbo bits are moved away. Their discipline might work in your favor. Either way, it's okay they dwarves dislike death because, you know, it's death.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 06:05:40 am »

It's not the death. It's the specific vengeance mechanic. When a dwarf sees another dwarf in combat, he generally decides to join in. And when he joins the fight, he has a chance to take a lump of stress as vengeance.

This creates a funny problem in a reanimating biome. Suppose that forty dwarves are looting the corpses of a defeated elf army. Suddenly, the severed head of an elf bowman reanimates and starts trying to bite someone. It's no threat to anyone, but it starts a combat with the nearest dwarf. If that combat lasts more than a few ticks, then all forty dwarves decide to join in, which means that they all have a chance to add stress for vengeance. It only takes a few seconds for the nearest dwarves to kill the reanimated head, and all the nearby dwarves drop out of combat mode and resume looting.

Multiply that scene by number of heads, arms, and non-mangled corpses in a defeated elf army, and those dwarves could take 20 to 50 vegeance hits to stress before all the elf parts are dumped and smashed.

This is probably working as intended. It makes sense that battling the dead would be as much a psychological challenge as a martial one. So I've learned to plan around the vengeance mechanic and make sure that my dwarves aren't overly concentrated around corpses or body parts that are likely to reanimate. And I don't know if this has been altered in 44.10.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 06:12:46 am »

Finally !

Prepare your jails for berserk dwarves. No longer ignore your mayor's requests because one beer was enough to de-stress him !
Tantrums and despair and unhappy dwarves will be a thing once again !

This is christmas before time !

We are terrible persons
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6