Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Iron Seas: The Great War (Miniatures Game)  (Read 4248 times)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
Iron Seas: The Great War (Miniatures Game)
« on: May 06, 2018, 07:07:30 pm »

Iron Seas: The Great War
The year is 1912. The great powers of the world are marshaling their forces. War is on the horizon, but something is different, history has taken a strange course and the world isn't what it was. Empires that had died in our universe have instead rose to global prominence while others have withered to nothing in their stead. Nations that have prospered in this new age are now ready to clash in a great, all consuming war for supremacy, and their navies will be on forefront, ready to battle in seas of iron.

Game Features:
Unique alternate history setting
-Enjoy an interesting universe with unique characters

Six Distinct Factions
-The Polish Commonwealth
-The British Dominion
-The French Republic
-The United Americas
-The Brazilian Empire
-The Empire of Japan

Over 180 Units
-Field units ranging from small and nimble destroyers to massive battleships and carriers
-Tailor your fleets to meet your strategies and tactical needs with numerous refits and upgrades available to customize your units

Rules for single battle skirmishes, campaigns, and conquest style gameplay
-Play single scenarios if you're short on time, or go for the long haul in a campaign
-Large number of scenarios to play, ranging from small ambushes and convoy missions to large scale fleet battles and invasions

Simple mechanics and system that can be learned quickly
-The game can be learned in under a hour! Spend less time reading and more time fighting!
-D6 based. No fancy dice required

No painting or assembly required
-All units and terrain is pre-colored and with no assembly needed

CHEAP
-Miniatures, terrain, and rulebooks designed to provided the best gaming experience while being as affordable as possible
-Easily replaceable. Replace an entire army for roughly 40$-60$ rather than the hundreds or thousands for other games

We Need You!
-To make the project a reality we need help! Artists, writers, and play testers are all needed!

Old Thread Intro
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some mechanics as discussed in the second thread:
Ship Stats Explained

Weaponry:

Unit Types:

Some Basic Mechanics:

Now, I have the files and resources ready for trial here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhe20ai07beogrd/Tabletop.rar?dl=0

If some people would like to play test the game for me, it would really help with development.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:46:27 am by moghopper »

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Affordable Wargaming Project: Naval Warfare
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 08:46:05 pm »

Oh... Whoops. I meant to post this in Creative Projects. How can I get this thread moved to there?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 08:47:36 pm »

Use the thread controls at the bottom left of the page.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 08:49:03 pm »

Use the thread controls at the bottom left of the page.

Much obliged.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 11:23:08 pm »

Downloaded the copy and will report back on how the play experience is.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 02:36:51 am »

Just giving an idea here:  if you want to keep the costs low, consider going for printable paper dioramas.  A bonus is that you can make it all digital and save on shipping costs as well
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 07:36:18 am »

Downloaded the copy and will report back on how the play experience is.
Thanks for the assistance. Any feedback at all will help.

Just giving an idea here:  if you want to keep the costs low, consider going for printable paper dioramas.  A bonus is that you can make it all digital and save on shipping costs as well

Possible. I would prefer cardboard punchouts, but paper dioramas are a possibility.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:05:47 am by moghopper »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 12:06:03 pm »

Yeah I'd go all digital but then add optional 'professional prints' for more money - a bit like what cards against humanity does. A lot of people will fork out for the convenience/shiny stuff.

The only suggestion - and it's a big one - is create a proper, really solid setting. You've said you want to do alternate ww1/ww2, and whilst I'm no naval expert the ships of the two eras were VASTLY different, so decide what you want.

Similarly, if it's alternate reality ww1/ww2, what does that mean? You could make it really interesting by having some small players become the major powers - say Africa and South America somehow became the major players or the Nazi's never taking hold but instead it being a United Europe vs Russia/Asia.

Whatever it is, it'll live or die by how good the setting is, regardless of how good your rules are.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 12:53:42 pm »

Yeah I'd go all digital but then add optional 'professional prints' for more money - a bit like what cards against humanity does. A lot of people will fork out for the convenience/shiny stuff.

The only suggestion - and it's a big one - is create a proper, really solid setting. You've said you want to do alternate ww1/ww2, and whilst I'm no naval expert the ships of the two eras were VASTLY different, so decide what you want.

Similarly, if it's alternate reality ww1/ww2, what does that mean? You could make it really interesting by having some small players become the major powers - say Africa and South America somehow became the major players or the Nazi's never taking hold but instead it being a United Europe vs Russia/Asia.

Whatever it is, it'll live or die by how good the setting is, regardless of how good your rules are.

Funny you should mention that...

One of the main factions is likely going to be Brazil. And another is Poland.

Edit: I will post some more setting details this weekend.

Okay, so lets talk about factions. All in all I have six main factions planned:
Poland: In this setting, Poland was never partitioned, instead remaining strong and eventually conquering most of Germany and a sizable amount of Russian territory.

Britain: Britain remains a large, world spanning empire. What is different was that the monarchy never lost power at all, staying an absolute monarchy.

France: Not very different from how it was historically, except for annexing what German territory remained after Poland conquered most of it.

United American Republic:
The Republic is a result of Canada joining in on the revolution rather than being loyal to Britain, and as a result of annexing most of Mexico later on.

Japan: More open than it was historically, and actually has close ties to both the UAR and Brazil.

Brazil: The Empire of Brazil is much as it was historically, but has become a significant naval power in recent years.

Keep in mind however, that this is just my initial idea. If someone has a better idea for a setting, I would gladly use that instead. In fact, if anyone does have a good idea for the setting please feel free to post it in the thread. I would love to see some people flexing their creative muscle.

Edit: Now, as for ships of the factions I listed above. Before I start describing them, I want you to understand that this info only applies to the INITIAL ships of the their factions. As more ships are introduced, the nations tend to change their design priorities and tactical doctrines.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:40:09 pm by moghopper »

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 01:35:37 pm »

Oh, nifty. I'll have to grab the rules etc. and give it a spin.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 10:20:10 am »

Is there somewhere else I should post this stuff? Interest here doesn't seem all that high.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 10:40:15 am »

Is there somewhere else I should post this stuff? Interest here doesn't seem all that high.

Nah, this is the right place for it on Bay12.

You've got to realise that Bay12 tends to not get too excited about projects that are just starting out - so many fail/never get properly started that it's difficult to keep up enthusiasm even if you're a big fan of that particular genre/thing. Similarly, no one is eager to collab on something you might forget about in a few weeks either, regardless of your good intentions.

If I was you, I'd get something really solid together and then come back with something that's playable - doesn't need to be fancy, but definitely needs to be almost there functionally.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 11:56:46 am »

You've got to realise that Bay12 tends to not get too excited about projects that are just starting out - so many fail/never get properly started that it's difficult to keep up enthusiasm even if you're a big fan of that particular genre/thing. Similarly, no one is eager to collab on something you might forget about in a few weeks either, regardless of your good intentions.

If I was you, I'd get something really solid together and then come back with something that's playable - doesn't need to be fancy, but definitely needs to be almost there functionally.

But I have the playable rulebook and all resources needed to play in that link I gave, no one seems to download it.

As for where I posted it, I was referring more to posting it on other websites,  not just Bay 12. I am not really familiar with other sites though, and I don't want to post it on 4chan...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 01:21:15 pm »

But I have the playable rulebook and all resources needed to play in that link I gave, no one seems to download it.

As for where I posted it, I was referring more to posting it on other websites,  not just Bay 12. I am not really familiar with other sites though, and I don't want to post it on 4chan...

You've got all the separate bits, but to get traction you should package it together into a single PDF, think up a story/proper setting (even if there's no 'fluff' around it) and maybe give a few example rounds (or better yet a very short video of you/others playing it). Filling out the original post and making it a bit more informative will help too. Presentation sort of matters if you want to get people on board, especially in the early days. Really not trying to knock it or you, I think it's a fantastic project, I just think that it needs more direction/polish before you'll get people jumping on board.

In terms of other places to post, you could try Subsim (http://www.subsim.com/index.php) - again though, I'd recommend polishing the product a bit more first.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 01:55:24 pm »

You've got all the separate bits, but to get traction you should package it together into a single PDF, think up a story/proper setting (even if there's no 'fluff' around it) and maybe give a few example rounds (or better yet a very short video of you/others playing it). Filling out the original post and making it a bit more informative will help too. Presentation sort of matters if you want to get people on board, especially in the early days. Really not trying to knock it or you, I think it's a fantastic project, I just think that it needs more direction/polish before you'll get people jumping on board.

In terms of other places to post, you could try Subsim (http://www.subsim.com/index.php) - again though, I'd recommend polishing the product a bit more first.

I can try to polish things up, though I don't have access to the resources right now to do test videos or test games.

How would you suggest I fill out the original post? I am not all that great at writing, and a few suggestions would really be appreciated.
Pages: [1] 2