Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [RESOLVED]Minor fleshwound from metal fragment - Tips to help prevent infection?  (Read 1221 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile

I was out mowing the lawn, and a tiny piece of jagged iron shrapnel flew up from the grass and struck me in the upper right arm, near my elbow. I thought at first that it'd flown off, but I soon realized it'd actually lodged itself in at an angle and dug under my skin, leaving a bump. Luckily as all hell, it didn't nick an artery. It would have had it been just an inch or two to the left or the right.

I treated it already. Used a magnet and tweezers to dig it out. There was fairly minimal bleeding; it clotted quick even after I took the shard out. It was just a minor flesh wound, really. I applied Neosporin (a topical anti-infection cream for cuts and abrasions) to it right off, plus gauze.

What I want to know is if there are other things I should or need to do to make sure I don't get an infection from this. I was able to get it fixed in minutes, but still, the shard was metal, and rusty, and I know that can screw you up bad. Help?

EDIT: The wound was only like an eighth of an inch deep, maybe less, since the shard went in an angle rather than straight through. I had to dig it out from under the skin it burrowed beneath.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:11:25 pm by Xvareon »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Are you up to date on your tetanus shots?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you up to date on your tetanus shots?
No. I've never had one in my life, not that I know about.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Then go to the emergency department. You probably need the vaccine plus/minus TIG

That being said I'd be surprised if you had never received any tetanus shot at all.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:58:20 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Yeah in the states it's a pretty standard vaccination given to kids.

Sounds kind of like when I impaled my ankle on my bike sprocket. One of the teeth when down I'd say 1/4 inch. I didn't do much to prevent infection. (The Germans gave me an immediate Tetanus shot though.)

Rinse it the wound with warm water to get any foreign particulate out of there, then cover it. If it seals on its own it will probably be ok. If the area around the wound gets red and inflamed, hot to the touch or starts leaking something, you'll probably want to see your doctor.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:52:13 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I'd advise going anyway. It's a potentially infected wound, and the vacc record is sketchy.  And prevention is rather simple..

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Yep. When you get wounded by metal, especially metal that comes from dirt or soil, go get a tetanus shot if you haven't had one recently
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everything's all good now. I went and got a tetanus shot, so that pretty much wraps up everything I can reasonably do. The wound didn't get infected overnight at all, either. Thanks for the support, guys! It was just a bit of a scary situation for me for a bit, there.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Everything's all good now. I went and got a tetanus shot, so that pretty much wraps up everything I can reasonably do
You could always amputate
Spoiler (click to show/hide)