Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Games you probably haven't tried; the best games no ones ever heard of  (Read 2253 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

I suppose I might as well contribute with something other than a rant about Knights of Honor...

Diggles is a colony-management game where you take control of a clan of dwarves who have been tasked with the sacred quest of finding and recapturing Fenris in the Underworld, who had escaped one day when Odin was taking him for a walk.

In return for the successful completion of this task, the clan is promised a lifetime supply of mead and the ability to grow beards.

The game's bogged down by a number of things, including the at times completely dreadful AI pathing, some clunky menus, some odd glitches here and there and an at times absolutely abysmal pacing. However, it's got a very interesting aesthetic, a charming (and very German) sense of humor, and a great deal of depth (hah).

DF players will also recognize the capacity for a clan to devolve into tantrum spirals, as workers who cannot fulfill their needs become unhappy, and unhappy workers refuse to do the work that supplies those needs until they're happy again. There's even some fuzzy physics, in the sense that buildings can be compacted into a single small crate for transportation, and a "store" building can contain up to 32 or so crates... And then itself be packed into a crate, which can be put on the shelf of another store and so on.

Good luck getting the damn thing to run on a modern PC though... If you can even find a copy in the first place.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Warzone 2100 was really good, i remember i had to stick to old version 2.3.9 (still available on their sourceforge archives )due to a change they made in 3.x that made it so the game sometime crashed when i was alt-tabbing .

And 2.3.9 having been rock solid and the AI good enough for my skirmishes needs i stayed with it without following development more.

No idea if the problem still exist in more current versions (hopefully they had fixed it), all i know is that they had added higher resolutions textures in comparison to the 2.3.9 release but i don't know what is the status of the game nowadays.

Now for the subject, i am always wondering why JCloisterZone is not much more popular.
It's a fantastic java and open source adaptation of the Carcassonne boardgame, it even allows to play with some of the optional expansions and additional rules.
It can be played against other people or against a very competent AI.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:44:40 pm by Robsoie »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

Bionic Dues is a mecha roguelike with some odd time-based mission element that seems similar to games like Invisible Inc. or FTL. I haven't bolded those names since I'm fairly certain they've kicked up a fair amount of excitement when they were released (particularly the latter).

Almost everything about the game looks super garish, and, since it's a roguelike, the difficulty curve is quite intense, but all the same, it's got its own little charm. Every single robot has its own unique gimmick the player must exploit in order to succeed - both the player robots and the enemy robots. The item generation system, while pretty simple at heart (items have attributes and levels, both of which change what stats the item alters. Bang, done explaining it.), still requires the player to make choices, and the playable pilots of the mechs allow and reinforce all sorts of different playstyles...

It's... It's pretty good, yeah. Worth posting in here, in any case.

72namesofDOG

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Cortex Command It's a very intricate and unique game. I have played many games and there is absolutely no game that comes even close to what Cortex Command does.

I can't even describe what the game is like because it's so unique and different but it's basically it's the most anarcho-capitalism game there is. The game revolves a lot of chaos, mind-controlling a bunch of clones/robots with a "brain" unit (it dies, you lose), collecting gold, and conquering territory. There are all kinds of factions to play as, such as car-crash dummies that had it's AI go rogue, stereotypical rebels (ronin), "space americans" (coalition), "space elves" (techion), heavily-armored mercenaries that use brute-force and a lot of flames (browncoats), zombies, robots, and more with their own weaknesses and strengths. You can shoot off helmets and armor off of people, have rounds and even grenades bounce off and explode your enemies instead with your modded power armor, get both of your legs blown off and make a heroic last stand before bleeding out by cooking a grenade then jet-packing and head-butting into your enemies, literally trample your enemies, or accidentally kill your units with flying debris from your own rocket that got shot down from across the map.

I found the campaign to suck and it doesn't feel complete at all, but it's definitely worth the price imo with all the other cool gamemodes like survival, wave defense, bunker breach, siege, skirmish, etc. especially since there are MANY mods. There are mods for warframe units and weapons, half life 2 stuff, dune stuff, Command and Conquer stuff, W40k stuff like necrons orks imperial gaurd and space marines, starwars mods, more zombies mod, zombots, space chaplains, medieval stuff, magical stuff, etc. You could play the game however you want, using one OP unit and OP gun, tunneling, bombing, spamming zombies, a few specialized units, using drones. I like to make my own themes and challenges such as playing on a map without much gold (actual gold which you can mine to get $$) so I have to make gold (gold is also currency) just from kidnapping enemies and scavenging weapons left over from battle with a dropship. Or you can just get $$ from killing enemies with a bounty mod, infinite gold from a mod of course, or a gold-mine structure that automatically produces gold which you or the enemy can mine so you can place the mine as a "flag point" as a very rudimentary player-made goal or just place it in your own base.

It is only optimized for single-core though, so if you have a monster dual-core CPU (use a i3-7350k over and i7 7700k, OC would be very beautiful for the dual-core) meant specifically for ARMA 3 or dwarf fortress like a stock i3 7350k at 4.2 GHz, you'll have a very good time. I can only recommend this game if you have a mid-tier computer with an ok CPU single-core cpu speed, mine is i5 4570k 3.2 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 ram but luckily graphics card doesnt matter much at all with this game. I bought the game several years ago and have easily clocked in hundreds upon hundreds of hours before it was even released on steam.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:29:30 am by 72namesofDOG »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

I was under the impression that most folks were aware of Cortex Command to some extent, and DataRealms' complete unreliability and untrustworthiness (again demonstrated by Cortex Command 2: It'll Be Better This Time, Guys! AKA Planetoid Pioneers).

Crab rocket is still best rocket, though.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Airships: Conquer the Skies is pretty good. And I second Scavenger SV-4, it is one of the best games I've ever played.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rebel Galaxy.  It's a fun spaceship game by Travis Baldree and Erich Schaefer(of Diablo/Fate/Torchlight fame).  In it you get in ship to ship battles while trading cargo to different outposts to upgrade your ship.  Has a definite space western theme to it while the ship battles work like a fast paced naval battle.  Only gripe is that it is on a 2D plane, but that's understandable considering how quickly it was developed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Airships: Conquer the Skies is pretty good. And I second Scavenger SV-4, it is one of the best games I've ever played.
Airships is fun, with a lot of nifty little details and depth you wouldn't expect from looking at its "cover", so to speak. The singleplayer campaign is also surprisingly well-developed, although certainly not without flaws...

There are some big, persistent issues with ship sizing however... It is not in any way viable to make colossal war-zeppelins that blot out the sun, even if you're completely ignoring the staggering resource cost of putting one together. There's a built-in "integrity" mechanic that makes ships take more damage the larger they get, and this is only mitigated by a couple excessively heavy components that effectively make it impossible to get the thing off the ground. It's a "pick two" triangle of Flight Ceiling, Structural Integrity and Size...

As such, by far the most viable ships are the tiniest, crappiest little gnats you can build, with just enough ammo to put a clip or two downrange before it gets batted out of the sky. Doing this gives you a swarm of flapping guns that can wipe out a similarly-priced enemy force.

The dev seems like a cool dude though, and he's said that he's been thinking of ways to solve the issue in an elegant and balanced manner.

Also, zombie sky squids... What's not to love?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

DataRealms' complete unreliability and untrustworthiness

I'm afraid I'm not aware of this incident... Mind telling me more about it?
Pages: 1 [2]