Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A few little suggestions  (Read 1395 times)

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few little suggestions
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:49:56 am »

I have a few unrelated suggestions that seem too small to warrant a thread each:

1) Baby animals should cost fewer embark points than adults, because currently there is no reason to embark with them
2) The [TOTEMABLE] tag should be possible to reference within the raws, to allow the exclusive use of skulls in reactions
3) Corpses and/or body parts should be capable of wearing clothes, so that things stop stripping at the moment of death

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few little suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:49:51 pm »

Does 3) matter at all? You'd need to add an undress command to Adventurer which would be a real micromanagenent hell situation every time you want to steal a dead bandits boots. Corpse wearing gear weighs the same as corpse plus gear, so where's the benefit?

Unless you want to deliberately dress up corpses to stand around your battlefield to fool opposing armies into thinking your army is much bigger than it is? Yeah, that would work,  I guess. Requires recognisable uniforms to be implemented first though.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:57:09 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 03:55:43 pm »

I was thinking you could just treat them like a container for the purposes of adventure looting, and I was thinking it was a good idea because reanimation exists, currently anything reanimated within the player's sight gets naked first.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 04:01:51 pm »

I was thinking you could just treat them like a container for the purposes of adventure looting, and I was thinking it was a good idea because reanimation exists, currently anything reanimated within the player's sight gets naked first.
Armored zombies? Yeah, OK that makes sense. They siege from outside with clothes and weapons, after all.
Would have to track the general decay of the body though.

And would have to make every body part a container. One armed corpse wearing two gauntlets doesn't make sense. And when that hand goes flying off in an arc, it'd be best to have the glove go with it (and destroy it's shirt).

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 04:16:10 pm »

would have to make every body part a container. One armed corpse wearing two gauntlets doesn't make sense. And when that hand goes flying off in an arc, it'd be best to have the glove go with it (and destroy it's shirt).
Currently severing bits causes armour and clothing worn by that body part to be dropped, one arm and two gauntlets shouldn't be an issue, the real question is do we want animated severed hands to have the ability to wear gauntlets?

I kinda do

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 06:57:49 pm »

are body parts not already containers of a sort? looking at for example this dead groundhog corpse I have in my current fort lists multiple blood spatters as its contents

also consider the following: dressing a corpse up to disguise it as being from a specific civ in order to fool someone into thinking that said civ tried to steal their artifacts. a perfect crime

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 07:23:45 pm »

Pretty sure anything can be covered in any liquid, it doesn't have to be a container, I've seen blood splattered figurines before thanks to my weaver having a preference for them and also seemingly having a vendetta against troglodyte-kind. Dunno if that means that everything technically counts as a container or that liquid coverings are a different thing entirely in the code though

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 02:02:25 am »

In the same way that some items have container traits, there could be a corpse item trait of "previously equipped items". When a corpse item is created by death or severing and the code drops the equipment the corpse item was wearing, that code could make the list of the items and associate it with the corpse item. Then, if there is a reanimation, the list would be compared to the items in the same tile, and some items may be equipped (forcing a cancel of all jobs involving those items, etc).

So, when your armored dwarf drowns in a pond during a fight, his stuff falls off as usual, but if he reanimates, he would be wearing most of his armor.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 03:27:22 am »

one problem with that I can foresee - if you remove all the corpse's clothes and then later throw them back onto the tile before reanimating, does the zombie still re-equip them? that implies that you somehow threw them perfectly back onto the body, which feels wrong...

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 03:48:53 am »

Or alternatively, garbage dumping the lot. Dwarves would move each piece of clothing individually, and then supposedly re-clothe the corpse at the dump zone. Granted you'd have to be attacked by a necromancer for this one to happen, since the corpse would reanimate before everything got dumped if it was the biome doing it, but it's still a thing that could plausibly happen if someone doesn't have a graveyard set up yet.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 04:07:50 am »

I kind of think the individual hauling is problem of its own. The items could end up in separate stockpiles. By treating the corpse as a bin, the items can default to forbidden and they'll be moved along with the body to the corpse stockpile, possibly entombed with the dwarf.

Plus, with the whole severing thing, the items aren't likely to end up in the same tile as their body part.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 04:40:32 am »

They'd end up in different stockpiles if you just let them be hauled away, but specifically setting them to be dumped, presuming you use a single tile garbage dump zone because why would you not, they'd all end up on the same tile. I do like the idea of only needing a single dwarf to do a single job to clean up after a death, provided that death wasn't of the body part removing variety. I wonder if burying dwarves in expensive clothes would make their tombs higher value rooms, does that factor into ghosts and stuff? I'd be kinda annoyed if I was a legendary dragonslaying axedwarf and got buried nude in an unremarkable wooden box in the same room as a cheesemaker who got executed for going berserk and punching the king.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 04:54:38 am »

They'd end up in different stockpiles if you just let them be hauled away, but specifically setting them to be dumped, presuming you use a single tile garbage dump zone because why would you not, they'd all end up on the same tile.
Single tile garbage dumps probably aren't permanent.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 05:23:52 am »

True, it does feel a little cheaty too, that's why I only really use it to free up space in refuse/corpse piles cause mine tend to fill at unmanagable speeds without one unless I atom smash, which I also don't like doing because anything that defies the laws of physics feels wrong.

Anyway, the point is, until garbage dumps get fixed, dwarves would strip and re-clothe dumped corpses if the corpses simply remembered what clothes they were wearing and put the ones on their tile back on upon reanimation, which, along with less dwarves being required for cleanup and the prospect of clothed burials, is why I think they should be more of a clothing container with the same clothing restrictions as they had in life, preferably with clothes worn upon death being forbidden for the same reason as stray bolts.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 06:12:14 am »

Anyway, the point is, until garbage dumps get fixed, dwarves would strip and re-clothe dumped corpses if the corpses simply remembered what clothes they were wearing and put the ones on their tile back on upon reanimation, [...]
Then it needs to be programmed all over again. Better to do it properly the first time, given DF already supports containers.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:13:54 am by Bumber »

Pages: [1] 2