Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A few little suggestions  (Read 1396 times)

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few little suggestions
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 06:37:03 am »

I must be explaining myself poorly because what you just said makes no sense to me.

I am saying that corpses should be able to wear clothes so they weren't nude upon reanimation, possibly having the code recognise them as a container, allowing easy adventure mode looting and, as you have mentioned, letting dwarves haul them like bins full of clothes.

Somebody else suggested that corpses could simply remember what clothes they wore in life, and reequip them if they get reanimated.

I raised the issue that current garbage dumps would potentially cause strange behaviour, as well as expressing a preference for some features made possible by the original suggestion that are unrelated to reanimation, and thus unaccounted for by the clothing memory idea.

Garbage dumps are completely unrelated to my original suggestion and thus there is no reason for it to be reprogrammed if garbage dumps change.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 02:59:32 pm »

I was attempting to offer an alternative property for a corpse item. Instead of being a container that stores items inside them, they maintain an association with the previously worn items, and that association only triggers a re-equipping of the items when the corpse item is reanimated and the corpse item and equipment are in the original tile (I had said "same tile", I meant the original tile).

It would be awesome to see corpse items reanimate with their worn gear, but only if nothing was moved around.

I'll stay out of this now.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 03:12:49 pm »

Ah, I see where I got confused on your idea. I still prefer corpses being containers for the ease of hauling and the potential for clothed burials, but yeah, apologies for the misunderstanding my dude.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 05:57:16 pm »

I must be explaining myself poorly because what you just said makes no sense to me.
I interpreted it as a support of the non-container system, with corpses re-equipping their clothes that passively happen to end up on their tile. This system would then be broken by a dumping change that decreases the chance of that occurring. If dwarves are actively putting them in the same destination then there isn't an issue. However, it would beg the question why they wouldn't just haul everything as a single object to begin with.

The remaining part I didn't quote appears to suddenly switch back to supporting the container system, for a given reason (besides the stated less dwarves and clothed burial) that's difficult to follow under the assumption that the first part is about the opposing system.

It makes a bit more sense if this post is talking about items being removed from container corpses. Of course, we all know how silly the idea is that dwarves would ever willingly remove items from a container, given a choice.

Anyway, to clarify my first post in the thread:
Corpse containers are great because they keep everything organized. Sometimes you get multiple corpses on a single tile.
Everything automatically ends up neatly in the corpse stockpile. In the event that the stuck-in-bin issue is fixed, the corpse contents being forbidden on death will still prevent dwarves from hauling the deceased's belongings to separate stockpiles.
When a limb is severed, the associated clothing will travel with the limb instead of being dropped at the feet.

Another benefit of the container system: Burying a dwarf in ceremonial clothing and not having a naked zombie.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:10:24 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 06:29:30 pm »

Looks like this thread has just been one bamboozle after another. That post was (clearly a failed attempt at) clarifying what I thought was a problem with the non-container system, which I thought your post was responding to. Not sure why I thought that, maybe because we both mentioned individual item hauling?

Going back and reading the posts again, it's clear that I need to have a sit down and re-learn how to read.
Pages: 1 [2]