Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [44.12] Dwarf Fortress: The Lunar Realms 1.86  (Read 12978 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.10] Dwarf Fortress: The Lunar Realms 1.5
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2018, 07:43:18 pm »

For those interested, the issue with FLIER-type civs has been fixed, and some new creatures added to good and evil biomes, and by extension the forces of the two main invader races.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: [44.10] Dwarf Fortress: The Lunar Realms 1.66
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2018, 01:00:08 am »

I downloaded this on a whim and started playing as the Ice Fae.

-The Crystal Elementals only cost one embark point at the start. Given that they can haul things, that's pretty silly.
-I seem to be able to make white and midnight crystal bars out of any kind of coral, not just white/midnight coral. Is this intentional?
-My civ seems to have access to brown crystal bars in addition to white and midnight, but I don't seem to be able to make them myself.
-My civ also seems to have access to some pewter alloys.
-Alright, and this is the big one:

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. There's very little documentation. I have no idea if my Ice Fae have some kind of magical cold powers. I have no idea how good weapon/armour materials the various crystal types are. The OP is sort of helpful, but you really need some more documentation. Even just a text document listing the traits of the various races and crystals would be very helpful.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.10] Dwarf Fortress: The Lunar Realms 1.66
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2018, 02:25:12 am »

I downloaded this on a whim and started playing as the Ice Fae.

-The Crystal Elementals only cost one embark point at the start. Given that they can haul things, that's pretty silly.
-I seem to be able to make white and midnight crystal bars out of any kind of coral, not just white/midnight coral. Is this intentional?
-My civ seems to have access to brown crystal bars in addition to white and midnight, but I don't seem to be able to make them myself.
-My civ also seems to have access to some pewter alloys.
-Alright, and this is the big one:

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. There's very little documentation. I have no idea if my Ice Fae have some kind of magical cold powers. I have no idea how good weapon/armour materials the various crystal types are. The OP is sort of helpful, but you really need some more documentation. Even just a text document listing the traits of the various races and crystals would be very helpful.

Thanks for the info, I'll try and write something up aftr I fix the bugs you mentioned. Brown crystal is a byproduct of other crystal making processes, you get them by refining other crystal types. I'll probably give civs the ability to make it outright, though.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.10] Dwarf Fortress: The Lunar Realms 1.7
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 02:21:43 pm »

I did some arena testing about whether midnight crystal or white crystal was better for weapons/armour. The results were pretty conclusive: White is better. One of the tests ended with one guy getting stabbed in the heart straight through their midnight crystal breastplate. Are all of the race-specific crystal types this bad for combat? Is white crystal steel-level? Iron-level?

EDIT:

Something else I noticed in my arena testing was that there are owls on the moon. Just normal owls. Is this intentional?

EDITX2:

Another thing that it would be nice to have more documentation about would be the plants. I'm really not sure what all of them do.

EDITX3:

Welp, my fort died to a werecreature spiral. Time to restart in 1.7, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:28:32 pm by Arcvasti »
Spooky Signature

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2018, 06:10:41 pm »

I did some arena testing about whether midnight crystal or white crystal was better for weapons/armour. The results were pretty conclusive: White is better. One of the tests ended with one guy getting stabbed in the heart straight through their midnight crystal breastplate. Are all of the race-specific crystal types this bad for combat? Is white crystal steel-level? Iron-level?

EDIT:

Something else I noticed in my arena testing was that there are owls on the moon. Just normal owls. Is this intentional?

EDITX2:

Another thing that it would be nice to have more documentation about would be the plants. I'm really not sure what all of them do.

EDITX3:

Welp, my fort died to a werecreature spiral. Time to restart in 1.7, I guess.

White crystal is iron level, I forget what midnight crystal is. Owls on the moon are normal, they just sort of show up. This is true of some other species as well. I'll see what I can do about documentation, I'm just a bit busy at the moment.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2018, 02:42:30 pm »

So I've been playing my 1.7 game for 3-4 in-game years now, as Asuras.

-I'm just drowning in brown crystal. I have over nine hundred brown crystal bars. Getting two of the things on average from every crystal reaction is too much.
-White crystal is also super easy to come by. Maybe change it to need two logs for one crystal bar? Or make white coral only spawn in the caverns or something.
-Asuras seem very robust in combat. Even my unarmed civilians can wander around the abyssal caverns without fear, since they can punch most enemies to death in a few hits.
-My actual military squads are even stronger. One asura soldier went up against ten outsider soldiers and killed five of them before back-up could arrive. His only "injuries" were to his shield and his left boot.
-It is kind of a pain to need to make three times as many gauntlets though...
-A sutra "siege" of ten people showed up and then immediately left. Then a sutra thief arrived. None of them were wearing any equipment at all.
-Crystal Elementals are all kinds of weird:
-They don't have names, but can be appointed to noble positions. My bookkeeper/manager is currently an elemental in a walled off office.
-They have needs like true citizens, but can't actually act on most of them. After a few years, they get so distracted that they start spending most of their time "on break" instead of actually doing work.
-This only seems true if they can actually reach a tavern/libary/temple though, since my bookkeeper elemental is still perfectly productive.
-When you buy crystal elementals from your caravan, they come in cages. However, you can't assign them to pens/pastures/pits, so the only way to get them out of those cages is by building them, attaching them to a lever and then pulling the lever to deconstruct the cage.
-Some cavern creatures can't be tamed for some reason. Smallcrabs and moon anemones are the ones I remember the most, but I'm sure there are others.
Spooky Signature

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2018, 02:50:53 pm »

So I've been playing my 1.7 game for 3-4 in-game years now, as Asuras.

-I'm just drowning in brown crystal. I have over nine hundred brown crystal bars. Getting two of the things on average from every crystal reaction is too much.
-White crystal is also super easy to come by. Maybe change it to need two logs for one crystal bar? Or make white coral only spawn in the caverns or something.
-Asuras seem very robust in combat. Even my unarmed civilians can wander around the abyssal caverns without fear, since they can punch most enemies to death in a few hits.
-My actual military squads are even stronger. One asura soldier went up against ten outsider soldiers and killed five of them before back-up could arrive. His only "injuries" were to his shield and his left boot.
-It is kind of a pain to need to make three times as many gauntlets though...
-A sutra "siege" of ten people showed up and then immediately left. Then a sutra thief arrived. None of them were wearing any equipment at all.
-Crystal Elementals are all kinds of weird:
-They don't have names, but can be appointed to noble positions. My bookkeeper/manager is currently an elemental in a walled off office.
-They have needs like true citizens, but can't actually act on most of them. After a few years, they get so distracted that they start spending most of their time "on break" instead of actually doing work.
-This only seems true if they can actually reach a tavern/libary/temple though, since my bookkeeper elemental is still perfectly productive.
-When you buy crystal elementals from your caravan, they come in cages. However, you can't assign them to pens/pastures/pits, so the only way to get them out of those cages is by building them, attaching them to a lever and then pulling the lever to deconstruct the cage.
-Some cavern creatures can't be tamed for some reason. Smallcrabs and moon anemones are the ones I remember the most, but I'm sure there are others.

thanks for more info, I'll try and make resources less hard to come by and fix elementals so they don't get registered as citizens. Asuras are meant to be end-game (optional) demigod invaders so yes they can be pretty strong. Playing them just means you are playing a race of demigods so yeah, that'll change the game a bit. I might nerf them somewhat. I'll also look into the other things you mentioned.

Padsparadscha

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The sort of person that typos their own screenname
    • View Profile
Re: [44.11] Dwarf Fortress: The Lunar Realms 1.8
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2018, 10:06:35 pm »

Hopped back in this mod with the 44.11 release, I've also been playing with some of your other conversions and they're honestly all so good, you've got some serious worldbuilding skill.
However, I also wanted to drop off a bit of fanart I did -- the bodha have such cool designs and inspiration struck.  Hidden under a spoiler since it's a little big.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.11] Dwarf Fortress: The Lunar Realms 1.8
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2018, 01:24:48 am »

Hopped back in this mod with the 44.11 release, I've also been playing with some of your other conversions and they're honestly all so good, you've got some serious worldbuilding skill.
However, I also wanted to drop off a bit of fanart I did -- the bodha have such cool designs and inspiration struck.  Hidden under a spoiler since it's a little big.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh wow that's actually really nice, thanks! Also, I'm glad you like my work. Please let me know if you encounter any issues during your playthroughs by the way, feedback is always appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:40:02 am by squamous »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.12] Dwarf Fortress: The Lunar Realms 1.85
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2018, 05:43:46 am »

@squamous - were you inspired by Junji Ito for the Bodha by any chance? They're reminiscent of the mutants from "The Town Without Streets".

@Padsparadscha - do you have anything like an instagram or tumblr for your art?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Dwarf Fortress: The Lunar Realms 1.85
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2018, 01:30:19 pm »

@squamous - were you inspired by Junji Ito for the Bodha by any chance? They're reminiscent of the mutants from "The Town Without Streets".

@Padsparadscha - do you have anything like an instagram or tumblr for your art?

This mod was inspired mostly by the Vedic mythology in India, Morrowind, and some of Haruko Ichikawa's stuff actually. And also the scientific theory of Panspermia.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 04:07:14 pm by squamous »

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Dwarf Fortress: The Lunar Realms 1.86
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2018, 07:29:49 pm »

Whats the music at the title screen?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SheerSharkAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2020, 02:04:10 pm »

Any chance for an update on this plus explanations for the crystal system?

also I've found some weirdness with all slabs reading thunderbird regardless of the actual secret.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2020, 02:58:08 pm »

Any chance for an update on this plus explanations for the crystal system?

also I've found some weirdness with all slabs reading thunderbird regardless of the actual secret.

I'm sorry to say that as a mod made much earlier in my development, there's a lot of bugs in this one, along with poorly thought out decisions. I will say that a lot of my older mods will eventually be incorporated into newer, more competently made ones in the form of planes when the planar travel update comes out for DF, or given spiritual successors that let me start from a blank slate with all the skills I have now without having to try and untangle something that's poorly made and broken.
Pages: 1 2 [3]