Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: fishing and workshop orders: a plea  (Read 4232 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: fishing and workshop orders: a plea
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 04:51:09 pm »

Am i missing something fundamental that makes the already existing o-z-f switch utterly unacceptable to all of you?

This switch can be used to restrict all fishing to explicit active "fishing" zones. If no such zone exists, no-one will fish.

I like the suggestion to move fishing to manager/workshop orders, e.g. to limit the number of dwarfs that can spend their time fishing. If all one cared about was to get rid of fishing in general, though, o-z-f already offers that functionality, at a modest three keystrokes.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 08:51:06 am »

well, I feel like a right brain genius now, ahah. thanks for pointing that out.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 02:41:08 pm »

Am i missing something fundamental that makes the already existing o-z-f switch utterly unacceptable to all of you?

This switch can be used to restrict all fishing to explicit active "fishing" zones. If no such zone exists, no-one will fish.

I like the suggestion to move fishing to manager/workshop orders, e.g. to limit the number of dwarfs that can spend their time fishing. If all one cared about was to get rid of fishing in general, though, o-z-f already offers that functionality, at a modest three keystrokes.
Does that work? I thought it caused cancel spam or something.

In any case, aside from workshops, a setting for the max number of active fishers could also work.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 02:55:33 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 11:00:41 am »

Disabling fishing via zones/zone-orders works perfectly, no cancellation notes or anything like that. If fishing is restricted to zones-only and no valid zone is active, no fishing jobs will be created and that's that.

I often toggle fishing in general on/off via deactivating the fishing zones (i always use zone-only fishing, because it gives control over where dwarfs will fish); afaict, active fishing jobs will carry on to completion, but no new ones come up. It's still just a general on/off switch. To get the number of fisherdwarfs down to a reasonable number like one or two, i still need to look through all migrants and switch off the fishing jobs of newcomers.

As to the suggestion presented: i'd very much like to have a control tool to limit "max. number of active fishing/hunting jobs" via manager or workshops, instead of having to fiddle with everyone's labour options.
Pages: 1 [2]