Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rework the "Drink Alcohol" need and [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]  (Read 800 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Rework the "Drink Alcohol" need and [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
« on: May 10, 2018, 04:05:08 am »

It strikes me as odd that a human, elf or troll can be born alcoholic. Not just that, but it sort of causes a negative effect double-dip on dwarves due to both unfocusing due to lack of alcohol and alcohol dependence. On top of that, alcohol is the only thing that has a DEPENDENT tag and the only thing of its type that has a need associated. This is not ideal for modders. On top of that, the ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT tag only requires DRINK items be imbibed, regardless of whether the DRINK be alcoholic; again, strange in a modded game. I have not tested this, but I would assume the "Drink Alcohol" need acts the same way.

Suggestions for rework:

1. Addiction-as-mechanic for ingestible syndromes with some sort of new token associated with syndromes for physical dependency and IMMODERATION and SELF_CONTROL taken into account for mental dependency; remove [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] and replace with [DEPENDENT:SYN_IDENTIFIER], which has similar effects but with the given SYN_IDENTIFIER (so, for dwarves, [DEPENDENT:INEBRIATION])
2. Remove the need entirely and add [DEPENDENT:SYN_IDENTIFIER]
3. Just remove the need

Earlier in the order being more ideal. Of course, removing alcohol dependence from dwarves is right out.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:36:19 am by Putnam »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Rework the "Drink Alcohol" need and [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 04:50:37 am »

It strikes me as odd that a human, elf or troll can be born alcoholic.
Can they? I think it's a result of emotional trauma (i.e., "doesn't care about anything anymore".)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 02:41:33 am »

Units with high immoderation or low self control will always have the "Drink Alcohol" need AFAIK, regardless of previously having ever had any trauma or alcohol. I might be stretching "alcoholic" a bit, but it being more difficult to function in ordinary work without using alcohol seems right in the context of a game.

EDIT: Upon testing I found a freshly-generated non-dwarf intelligent creature at age 10 who has the "drink alcohol" need, so I'm pretty sure it comes automatically with the personality, as expected (I wasn't expecting any individual need to have a prerequisite for appearing besides personality).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:17:16 am by Putnam »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 12:01:22 pm »

Never mind, you were referring to unfocusing. Emotional trauma causes ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT for non-dwarves.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:04:07 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 03:54:55 pm »

Further reason to rework the need, I guess, since that sort of adds on to the double-dip complaint.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 09:00:15 am »

It strikes me as odd that a human, elf or troll can be born alcoholic.

Some newborns can be birthed as drug-dependent when the mother took drugs.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 04:53:12 am »

True, though unrelated. Not sure I've ever heard that being the case for alcohol, either.