Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dauntless - Monster Hunter on PC [Open Beta May 24th]  (Read 3012 times)

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dauntless - Monster Hunter on PC [Open Beta May 24th]
« on: May 12, 2018, 08:35:42 am »

Link: https://playdauntless.com/

Dauntless is basically a Monster Hunter game but for PC and with a highly stylised graphical style. On May 24th it's heading into open beta and they're doing a sale on all their Founder's packs running up to that. It's free-to-play at the open beta stage.

I'm wondering if anyone else is interested or is interested in making a Bay 12 Games group to slay a bunch of monsters?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: Dauntless - Monster Hunter on PC [Open Beta May 24th]
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:24:52 pm »

Didn't know we already had a thread for this. I've been playing Dauntless with some friends and I guess I've got the ability to create a guild if we want one since I've got the founder pack.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 11:37:42 am »

Launch is today, anyone else hyped to give it a try?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 12:40:56 pm »

Supposedly pretty stable, I wasn't in closed so I don't know any details but most places seem to think it runs pretty well.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:27:04 pm »

Servers seem to be pretty congested at the moment, wanted to give it a try but the wait timer to log on started at 8 minutes and has been climbing ever since. Currently sitting at 20 minutes to log in :P

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 02:58:28 pm »

Yeah, looks like they might have underestimated the number of possible players, says there are around 35k ahead of me for around 15 mins of wait time.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 04:04:40 pm »

If it's free I might give it a shot while I'm still waiting for MHW to come out on PC. Who wants a referral?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 04:07:20 pm »

Launch is going pretty rough.
Current buglist can be seen here. Don't know exactly how common they are, but I got stuck loading after the tutorial and left it there for now. A lot of them are fairly crippling, so if that's likely to deter you likely worth waiting a day or so before jumping in.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 04:47:37 pm »

I got into the first story hunt (the shrike) and it glitched pretty hard, day one woes I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:49:31 pm by NullForceOmega »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 05:14:50 pm »

"Our login servers are currently experiencing heavy demand. There are 48543 people in front of you. Estimated wait time: 60+ minute(s)."
Oh boy. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since this is the launch of a free to play game.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 06:10:51 pm »

I think I was getting the tutorial fps bug, the game was choppy enough to make me quit. I didn't see the post at the time, or I might have tried to push through it to see if it got better. I'll have to give it another try later when it doesn't take two hours to log on.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 06:17:58 pm »

Yeah, I'd say wait a few days for them to sort things out.  What I did get to experience of the game was fun, I hope to play a hell of a lot of it in the near future.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 09:04:45 pm »

Are attack combos direction-locked and lengthy like Monster Hunter?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 05:49:29 am »

Okay, so managed to make it in yesterday after a long time in the queue (don't know how long exactly as afking). No longer getting stuck in loading screens, which is nice.

Are attack combos direction-locked and lengthy like Monster Hunter?
For hammer at least, not absolutely direction locked, but you can't just spin freely either that I've noticed. Combos tend to be chains of maybe 5, but I believe both sword and chainblades have a combo with a sustained attack in, and for hammer I've not come across many openings where I could squeeze more than 1 hammer combo.

First (early) impressions are that it's a somewhat more simplified/accessible monster hunter. There're only a handful of predefined combos for each weapon (though at least for hammer I've found myself using them all, and it's no less varied than what I've actually ended up using in MH in the past) and monsters seem a touch bland (though early game, and no worse than early MH monsters, so probably too early to judge). That said, it's still pretty enjoyable to me at least.

My main concern currently is that all the fight areas seem pretty similar. Whilst the behemoths move between them during the hunt, they don't actually seem to make much difference, and just seem to tax you some time if you don't know the island layout well. Also, the islands are all premade, but still manage to be somewhat bland (I seem to remember procedural generation being mentioned as an eventual goal, but can't find where).

Server issues are still present, albeit reduced. Queues are very slow and sometimes you get stuck on an island after a public hunt and have to wait ~30min for it to default back to main menu to avoid requeueing (haven't seen that in solo). Supposedly as of this morning they've tweaked the queues to be a bit faster but it now doesn't appear to be moving at all, so my recommendation is to intersperse with some netflix :P Hopefully they'll crack the issues soon, but we shall see.

Framerate wise, I've encountered no issues on i5 w/ GTX760 so likely not hardware based.

TLDR: It feels like the start of an open beta, but there's some potential. Early game is a bit bland, but at least I'm not spending an hour collecting mushrooms. Server issues currently very painful.

FAKEDIT: Queue started moving just after saying that it wasn't, tho still very slow. Though had an internet stutter and it remembered where in the queue I was, so that was nice.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 07:49:58 am »

I played a bit yesterday as well. It does indeed feel like a more 'fluid' Monster Hunter. A lot of the animations seem smoother/faster so you're less likely to get animation locked. Even getting hit seems to be more forgiving than in MH, at least so far, since in MH it seems nearly every attack will knock you on your ass or send you flying through the air. The main thing I noticed regarding being interrupted was how players can't hit each other so you don't have to worry too much about your positioning or which attacks to use while others are nearby. You're able to change the direction you're attacking within a pretty wide cone it seems, perhaps even spinning around completely but I haven't tested that out yet.

I also believe the controls are pretty fluid. I don't know how to explain it but even using a mouse and keyboard it... feels a bit like I'm fighting using an analog stick, at least when you're attacking a monster behemoth and not running around. I mean this in a good way, similar to how driving with a keyboard in Trackmania just feels right. It's awesome to see a monster behemoth gradually look more beat up as you fight them too, and the colored damage numbers give a good indication of what kind of damage you're dealing in the heat of battle. Yellow damage numbers mean you're breaking parts which is the main thing you want to go for to get more stuff at the end of the hunt.

While I did manage to do a few missions yesterday with no problems, when I went to do a non-quest hunt to kill the beaver guy the quest refused to return to town so I just called it a night. With that said I haven't noticed any lag during gameplay.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:53:31 am by Ozyton »
Pages: [1] 2