Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dauntless - Monster Hunter on PC [Open Beta May 24th]  (Read 3015 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dauntless - Monster Hunter on PC [Open Beta May 24th]
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 01:41:03 pm »

Took 6 hours in queue to get in this time around. The game runs much better than when I managed to log in the other day.

Visually the crafting was pretty neat - killing a Gnasher and then crafting a weapon out of its teeth was satisfying. The combat seems a little flat to me though, fighting giant monsters wasn't really interesting enough for me to want to keep playing. I have never played a Monster Hunter game before so I can't really compare.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 02:42:25 pm »

I've been playing this game some. The Queue was about 1-2 hours when I woke up in the morning, which worked for me. I just logged in then and have stayed online, playing a bit now and again.

Queue issues and other start of beta bugs aside, it's a decently fun game that I've been enjoying. I'm not really sure if it'll have the longevity to play it for a very long time, or even as long as I played warframe (which wasn't that long in comparison to how long some people play warframe.) Fighting the same monsters in a nondescript arena doesn't feel like it can be kept fresh and interesting, at least not without lots of new (not just color and stat swapped) monsters being introduced, but, I'm not to that point yet, so we'll see.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 03:19:04 am »

Supposedly now mostly queueless :)
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 06:12:20 pm »

Bumping for Frostfall event, which just started a few days ago.

I started playing about a week ago. So far no queues, no bugs.
Dauntless definitely feels like a blatant Monster Hunter clone, with less content. Though there is still a respectable variety of monsters, weapons, armors, and mods to keep things interesting for a while.

Dauntless is free to download and play, supported by a Cash Shop. The Cash Shop contains xp boosters, consumable items, and cosmetics. Xp boosters are not necessary, just a small time-saver. Consumables can be crafted with materials found in game, so again buying them is just a small time saver. Cosmetics are interesting enough that if you have some spare money to spend on the game, you can probably find something worth the investment; but still not at all required to enjoy the game.

So yeah, if you have been holding off trying Dauntless, now might be a good time to jump in and enjoy the seasonal event. If you tried back at launch but were turned off by queues and crashes, it's probably worth giving it another shot now.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 12:34:29 am »

I didn't have any trouble with performance or crashing when I played, I just didn't find it very compelling.  Felt like a discount monster hunter and it wasn't just the lack of content.  The fights were all pretty easy, monsters only had a couple moves and didn't have the sense of unpredictable dynamism that monster hunter has.  The way crafting worked was also too thin.  Maybe it gets more complex later on, but the monsters all basically had two ingredients and 99% of the stuff you crafted just required various numbers of the basic ingredient.  It wasn't like monster hunter where there's a bunch of shit you've gotta get from various monsters.  Gathering and potion crafting was lame, monster hunter always had a sense of preparing for a hard fight, like going out to gather the stuff you need to take a particular monster down.

I used the hammer, which was pretty fun.  If you were ballsy you could turn around while the enemy was charging and hit your rocket jump at the exact right moment to stun it for huge damage and knock it out of any enrage effects it was in, which always made you feel like a badass.

It just wasn't compelling.
Shoes...

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 09:55:39 pm »

Patch day!

New behemoth Valomyr appears!
I'm not yet strong enough to face him...but I'll get there one day!

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 01:27:55 pm »

I used the hammer, which was pretty fun.  If you were ballsy you could turn around while the enemy was charging and hit your rocket jump at the exact right moment to stun it for huge damage and knock it out of any enrage effects it was in, which always made you feel like a badass.

It just wasn't compelling.
Dauntless suffers from another problem that Monster Hunter doesn't have: lack of contrast in fights. In Monster Hunter fights change as time progresses; there are periods where the monster is enraged and you feel like you're better off running away than trying to attack. There are times when the monster is tired and you try to capitalize on their exhaustion. Then there are times when you (and/or your teammates) are just absolutely in the zone and annihilating the thing, locking it in CC one status after another and beating it into submission. And the monsters in MH react enough to give you the impression that the fights have a sort of ebb and flow to them.

Dauntless feels like it's always the same: Behemoths continue to use the same attack patterns over and over until they fall over. Sometimes they get mad and their attacks become slightly more annoying. They also don't have an unpredictable stagger system like Monster Hunter's; a lot of Behemoths get staggered by "booping" them out of a charge, which is fun the first time but gets repetitive really fast.

Bottom line is, it feels like you're whacking at a predictable brick wall rather than a monster, and instead of remaining thrilling no matter how many times you do it, fighting Behemoths ends up feeling formulaic.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 05:21:18 pm »

Dauntless suffers from another problem that Monster Hunter doesn't have: lack of contrast in fights. In Monster Hunter fights change as time progresses; there are periods where the monster is enraged and you feel like you're better off running away than trying to attack.

Dauntless Behemoths enrage exactly as you describe, changing their movesets and increasing their general speed and damage output. And the mid-to-high tier monsters actually enrage is greatly varied and creative ways. And of course you can break/sever body parts to cripple their attacks, which is something you really want to do before they enrage, else the battle could get interesting quickly. All of this creates a dynamic battle flow that I feel easily matches and in some instances exceeds that of Monster Hunter.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 09:58:51 pm »

Dauntless suffers from another problem that Monster Hunter doesn't have: lack of contrast in fights. In Monster Hunter fights change as time progresses; there are periods where the monster is enraged and you feel like you're better off running away than trying to attack.

Dauntless Behemoths enrage exactly as you describe, changing their movesets and increasing their general speed and damage output. And the mid-to-high tier monsters actually enrage is greatly varied and creative ways. And of course you can break/sever body parts to cripple their attacks, which is something you really want to do before they enrage, else the battle could get interesting quickly. All of this creates a dynamic battle flow that I feel easily matches and in some instances exceeds that of Monster Hunter.
My complaints were badly directed due to haste. I don't really have beef with the rage mechanic, but with the underlying systems in Dauntless making the game less interesting and rewarding for players. Let me elaborate.

... The elaboration will be in a spoiler for the sake of not taking up hella space.

Spoiler: Rant (click to show/hide)

Maybe I'm too biased, having played Monster Hunter for years before trying Dauntless, but back when I played Dauntless months ago, I went into it with an open mind and left feeling disappointed. When I go back to Monster Hunter Generations (Ultimate) I have fun even if I'm fighting Rathian for the 50th time. And damn if I don't try to understand why that is by arguing about it on the internet.

Thanks for listening to me rant.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:31:47 am by Nighthawk »
Pages: 1 [2]