Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extended Color Palette - TWBT tutorial  (Read 4296 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Extended Color Palette - TWBT tutorial
« on: May 12, 2018, 10:44:58 am »

TWBT allows using more than 8 foreground/background colors. But it's never explained how exactly.

It works like this: Color values from 100-255 are accepted. For example [DISPLAY_COLOR:203:0:0]. In this example I used 203, which is Taupe. Now those are not (!) RGB colors, but still the same formatting that DF usually has, with foreground and background color. The difference is that the number references an entry in descriptor_color_standard.txt. The first entry in that file is assigned the number 100.

In vanilla DF, that's Amber, number 100 for TWBT.

Code: [Select]
[COLOR:AMBER]
[NAME:amber]
[WORD:AMBER]
[RGB:255:191:0]

The last one in the file is Yellow-Green, with number 214.

Code: [Select]
[COLOR:YELLOW_GREEN]
[NAME:yellow-green]
[WORD:GREEN]
[WORD:YELLOW]
[RGB:154:205:50]

Because no list or color palette for this exists, I made one:

You'll notice that it goes to 255; I did that because TWBT supports that feature up to this number. In theory you can add 40 new colors this way.

This expands your repertoire from 8 colors (16 if you count dark/light variants) to 115 colors, with another 40 custom ones you can add.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:55:17 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Color Palette - TWBT tutorial
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 06:12:38 pm »

Thank you for explaining this. Now I understand why Dragonmaster's Tileset adds 38 new color tags to the color descriptor file. It looks like you can actually add up to 41 more colors than what vanilla has. Do you think it would be safe to add and remove color tags in existing save files?

For anyone wondering about the color chart, it uses the colors from Meph's tileset, which are a little different from the vanilla colors. You can see a chart of vanilla colors on the wiki, but they are not in index order. It's kind of nice being able to see similar colors together though, for picking out a shade of blue or whatever.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 07:14:06 pm »

I haven't tested, but adding entirely now objects usually requires a new world-gen, but that's only for DF itself. Maybe TWBT can handle it fine.

For anyone wondering about the color chart, it uses the colors from Meph's tileset, which are a little different from the vanilla colors. You can see a chart of vanilla colors on the wiki, but they are not in index order. It's kind of nice being able to see similar colors together though, for picking out a shade of blue or whatever.
Oh. Damn it, I thought those were the vanilla colors. :/
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 09:10:40 pm »

You started using non-vanilla colors in Meph v1.6.1.

Dragonmaster13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 05:08:07 pm »

To get max effect doing this I redid the initial 115, + added custom 40 colors, and don't forget the initial 16 colors = 171 colors in all. You can change them all. I changing all my metals and woods using this method. You'd be surprised how fast you run out of colors. TWBT Next, currently fully implemented in the new unreleased Dragonmaster tileset, uses mifki's color expansion script. Mifki also talked about upgrading this feature to use more colors if more people became interested. Its safe to say that this works with the most current version of TWBT. This took two months to figure out! Enjoy. :D
-Dragonmaster13

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 10:08:41 pm »

Isn't it 41 colors that you can add?

Dragonmaster13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:46:17 pm »

Nope, its 155. You don't use the 115 colors in the descriptive color standard raw in the game. Its a file used for dyes and the dyes all get converted to one of the closest default 16 colors, so not used. When you start using the colors Mifki's way you are actually adding 155 colors to the game. Might as well change those colors to whatever colors you like (i.e. Gothic, pastels, Christmas colors, etc). So in essence changing all the RGB values in the file only works for you since you can then use a palette of 171 colors, of your own design, in the game.
-Dragonmaster13

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 08:09:00 pm »

He meant in addition to those that already exist.

waterphage13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 12:40:02 am »

Thanks Meph!