Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bin Question  (Read 935 times)

SenorPez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bin Question
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:57:19 pm »

In previous versions, I had two stockpiles: A bar/block stockpile that, with bins, held all my stone blocks, and a bar/block stockpile that, without bins, held the specific material for that level of the megaconstruction. The second stockpile would get changed over for each level, as appropriate. The first stockpile had a GIVE command to the second stockpile.

In the current version, however, it seems that the second stockpile is only taking bars/blocks that aren't in bins.

Is this a bug since I played last (a few years back), or have I set up my stockpiles wrong and am forgetting something?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bin Question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 11:59:49 pm »

Not a bug... though I think it is an undesirable feature :-)  An item in a container in a stockpile will never be moved to a stockpile without containers.  Furthermore, if you have 2 stockpiles, one with containers and one without containers, the one with containers will always receive items first.  You will get nothing in the stockpile without containers until all of the containers are full.  It's worked this way as long as I've played the game (since 0.40 perhaps???).  Probably what was happening in your previous fortresses was that your bin stockpile was full and you were making more blocks.

I think you can have a container stockpile with a more general allowance and give to a container stockpile with a more specific allowance.  For example, if you have a stockpile with bins for all blocks, it can give to a stockpile with bins that only allows marble.  I *think*.  Containers are so buggy that I don't use them any more.  There was a great thread somewhere that described all of the idiosyncracies in complete detail, but I can't find it any more (it was quite a long time ago -- maybe even up to a year ago).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 02:32:42 am »

mikekchar's statement "An item in a container in a stockpile will never be moved to a stockpile without containers" is the key. If you use bins on your second stockpile, the second stockpile will trigger "put item in bin" jobs, which will take from the different bins of the first stockpile as well as take from the mason shops, etc. This means a dwarf will haul up to 10 blocks at once from stockpile A to stockpile B.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 02:33:42 am »

Bin behavior changed sometime during the 0.40.X arc, although I don't know if giving to non binned stockpiles was affected. They stopped carrying bins to the item to be put into the bin, anyway.

Bins should be used very sparingly due to their access lock behavior, but they can be used for bulk hauling spurts (I use them to haul junk to the trade depot for disposal). Instead of bins, Quantum (minecart) StockPiles can be used to store items in a reasonable space.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 01:59:18 pm »

There was a great thread somewhere that described all of the idiosyncracies in complete detail, but I can't find it any more (it was quite a long time ago -- maybe even up to a year ago).
This one?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 07:36:40 am »

That's not the one I was thinking of, but IIRC anewaname knew all the tricks (which I've completely forgotten).  Like, if you have your bins with mixed up gear and you want to sort them into bins with not-mixed-up gear...

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 03:35:53 pm »

You can get your dwarves to move the binned materials to the other stockpile by modifying the first stockpile's settings to exclude those materials. For example, to move cobaltite blocks disable "cobaltite" under "Blocks: Stone/Clay" in the bin stockpile's settings.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 12:14:06 am »

You do not need to exclude the materials if the second stockpile 't'akes from the first, which is what the OP has. He could have 50 blocks spread among 20 bins in that first stockpile and the second stockpile would task 5 "put item in bin" jobs to haul 10 blocks each time to the second stockpile. It just takes some time.

A potential issue with this setup will happen if he is building while new blocks are being moved to the second stockpile. In that case, he will need to delete the stockpile link and set the "build site" stockpile to 'a'ccept from links only, then there will be no bin conflict job cancellations.

I do it like this... I set up a 20-tile stockpile at the masons shop for the material wanted. It fills up. I set it to 'a'ccept from links only. I create another stockpile at the build site, set to links only, then link it. The dwarfs carry 20 bins from A to B. I delete the stockpile link, set the workshop stockpile to accept from anywhere, and queue 200 blocks of building. While the building is being done, the stockpile at the mason shop is refilling, then the cycle can be repeated.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 12:47:12 am »

You do not need to exclude the materials if the second stockpile 't'akes from the first, which is what the OP has. He could have 50 blocks spread among 20 bins in that first stockpile and the second stockpile would task 5 "put item in bin" jobs to haul 10 blocks each time to the second stockpile. It just takes some time.
:
I believe Loci's answer was in the OP context of the target stockpile NOT accepting bins, pointing out it's actually possible to get things moved even in that case.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 07:48:06 am »

Okay, it is another way of doing it.