Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Megabeasts should get TRAPAVOID  (Read 1364 times)

Bimbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megabeasts should get TRAPAVOID
« on: May 13, 2018, 05:14:45 pm »

Its pretty anticlimactic to have the most powerful being of an age that is named after them, be foiled because it walks through a hallway into a cage. Personal gripe I figured Id suggest.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeasts should get TRAPAVOID
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 05:30:47 pm »

You could always add the tag to their raws yourself. ;)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 05:33:35 pm »

I'd wait until traps are actually implemented (both the learning of location and the actual built traps) and see how Megabeasts react to them before deciding that every Megabeast should be given the token by default in the vanilla game. Building a trap to stop a roc seems a much more likely fantasy scenario than letting the guards stab at it randomly (that and sending out an adventurer).

In the meantime, just add it yourself. That's why Toady puts so much effort into making the game customizable, so personal gripes are easy to solve, personally.

Bimbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 07:02:09 pm »

I get that, but a dragon whose fire can burn the entire map down, getting stuck in a wood cage, is just plain stupid.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 09:57:28 pm »

I get that, but a dragon whose fire can burn the entire map down, getting stuck in a wood cage, is just plain stupid.
As is playing a game that's 40% complete and won't be finished for another 30 years. But we all love to do it.

DeCervantes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 04:14:01 am »

I would just be ok if the megabeasts could make distance attacks out of the cage and more important, if they could try to break the cage if they are strong enough. I mean, I would be kind of ok with trapping a dragon in an adamantium cage, but doing it with a wood cage is riddiculous.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 08:48:14 am »

Just mod trivial things like that in.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Bimbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 10:34:15 am »

Its just a suggestion, if you dont care for it, ignore it. Its not as if I am demanding this be a feature added to the game.
      If it were a viable solution, Id be all for the Megabeasts being able to break out of/attack from cages, if there were a logical way of going about it that didnt break the game/make it so that Megabeasts in cages are dwarf deathtraps. I do still think that giving Dragons and other similar creatures some sort of TRAPAVOID tag, whether its the same one that already exists or a slightly worse version created specifically for megabeasts, would add weight to some of the more impressive monsters arrivals.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 11:39:12 am »

I'll second that: stop telling people to mod things in instead of suggesting them, we're making suggestions so that the game can be even better in the future, not to complain about what we think is missing.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 04:16:48 pm »

I'll second that: stop telling people to mod things in instead of suggesting them, we're making suggestions so that the game can be even better in the future, not to complain about what we think is missing.
Real traps are planned. It's right there in the notes. Toady already knows about it. Why do think he needs to be told that catching dragons in a wooden cage is dumb? Suggest how these traps could be implemented. That's productive. Leads to a better game. The only thing shouting "Hey Toady, cage traps are dumb" achieves is to make the op feel better.

Trapavoid is a workaround for a temporary situation that's already in the options for anyone to turn on if they want. And it's not a satisfactory solution as it would make dragons avoid weapon traps. Do I then need to add suggestions threads to say 'dragons shouldn't have trapavoid, it's dumb that they should ignore adamantine spike traps'?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 07:11:18 pm »

Hydrae are NO_STUN, so then your fort must have access to web-spitters to trap them for taming.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:21:27 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 08:10:21 pm »

Shonai, he did suggest a solution... Trapavoid. Also, that was not what I had a problem with, but the fact that suggestions that are somewhere between must have and bad often get a "do it yourself/mod it in" comment, which is even less productive. and not what the suggestion board is for.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 04:27:14 am »

Shonai, he did suggest a solution... Trapavoid. Also, that was not what I had a problem with, but the fact that suggestions that are somewhere between must have and bad often get a "do it yourself/mod it in" comment, which is even less productive. and not what the suggestion board is for.
And I explained that trapavoid, whether added by yourself or by Toady would make weapon traps stop working, which isn't a good solution. My counter proposal (or Toady's one actually) was to rework traps completely so they interact more naturally with creatures whatever their size.

The only difference between adding it yourself and having it officially added is that replacing one placeholder with another is a waste of Toady's finite time, so it probably wouldn't happen.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 07:03:10 am »

No, I totally get that. I was much more refering to Kittytacs post where he states to "mod trivial things like that in", implying that you shouldn't make suggestions that you can mod in yourself.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 07:59:13 pm »

It would probably be best if Toady simply put a size limit on cage traps. Players could trap larger things with a combination of pressure plates and drawbridges, using fluid or mine cart logic to make it a one-shot thing if that's what you want. When Toady overhauls traps I'm hoping he focuses more on providing ways to power traps and perhaps allowing rooms to be designated as traps. Most of the other components are already there, if you're creative.

As an aside, I think suggestions for how to achieve specific things in game are valid. New players in particular can't be expected to know how to mod. Personally, I consider the raws to be the "advanced options", and hope Toady will prioritize adding features that put more options on the table for modders.

I didn't know NO_STUN prevented cage trapping. I'll definitely be adding that tag to my own megabeasts.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:11:32 pm by thompson »
Pages: [1] 2