Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thanks for having me!  (Read 605 times)

Alextang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Thanks for having me!
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:22:45 pm »

Hi all! My name is Alex and I've started playing again. Hence, I'm wondering - since goblins now come from actual civilizations in the world... May I get out of them?

As in, if they repeatedly siege me, and I kill them - will the last goblin eventually come to my fort to avenge his entire race, and join them in death? Or will the goblin civs keep enough "breeding population" to restock and come at me continuously with ever new attacks?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks for having me!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 11:36:44 pm »

Hi all! My name is Alex and I've started playing again. Hence, I'm wondering - since goblins now come from actual civilizations in the world... May I get out of them?

As in, if they repeatedly siege me, and I kill them - will the last goblin eventually come to my fort to avenge his entire race, and join them in death? Or will the goblin civs keep enough "breeding population" to restock and come at me continuously with ever new attacks?
It depends on your starting population. Yes, it's possible, but with a high pop and loads of gobbo sites, it's a lot less possible than it was in previous versions since sieges can now come from various sites (still only one site at a time though, so if every site in the world has less than 10 goblins capable of fighting, then they might stop).

The next several releases over the the next four or five months will start looking at improving sieges so it'll only get better from here on (and your saves will mostly be compatible as upgrades are released).

If all else fails, provoke the humans, elves and other dwarf civs into attacking you by raiding them repeatedly.

Not entirely sure which goblins are eligible to make up armies. Maybe it's only children that are excluded. But perhaps farmers too (troll shearers). So you might not get to face all of them just by staying at home. Raid to finish off the stragglers or wait a couple of releases and send out armies if your goal is genocide.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:41:42 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 02:25:58 am »

Also note the difference between RACE and CIV. All civs start out based on one race (and racial ethics -> civ ethics, which should diversify more in the future), but all real civs (i.e. excluding kobolds and cavern animal people) can be made up of members who genetically are of any race, but ethnically belong to the same civ (and thus live under the same ethics, with individual variations).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 03:48:27 am »

Yes, that's an important point, wiping out goblin civs will involve a fair amount of Elf, human and dwarf slaughter (my prison is full of dwarf snatchers right now).

Wiping out goblins as a race would require an adventurer as you can't yet go to war against your own civilization.