Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding Vaults  (Read 2765 times)

Bimbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding Vaults
« on: May 14, 2018, 07:44:12 pm »

Any tips on finding vaults in Adventure mode? Is it just trial and error, asking around and such, or is there a reliable way to look for them?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Vaults
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 03:13:05 am »

You could export legends info and use Legends Viewer. If DF Hack won't allow you to export legends info in-game, then copy your game folder, retire the adventurer, and export from that copy.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 06:03:25 pm »

There's no reliable way in game, and they are harder to find than anything else. I had much luck with asking tavern keepers though, when talking about local area. They won't use name "vault", but will say that in a time before time a devil or somesuch created a place named so and so - which can be only a vault. Before asking I would check in Legends how many vaults are there. In small world there may be not too many.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:26:16 pm »

I believe, but can't confirm, one method was to try to embark over an area. You can't embark over an area with a vault. That will give you the position down to a local tile of the vault, but you still have to find your way there in adventure mode.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 01:20:18 pm »

You could export legends info and use Legends Viewer. If DF Hack won't allow you to export legends info in-game, then copy your game folder, retire the adventurer, and export from that copy.

You can use open-legends (from the DFHack console) to open Legends mode from any other mode. Note that this will fuck up your game if you save, so use task manager or something to force DF to quit afterwards. Saves time copying saves around though.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 03:45:12 pm »

There's no reliable way in game, and they are harder to find than anything else. I had much luck with asking tavern keepers though, when talking about local area. They won't use name "vault", but will say that in a time before time a devil or somesuch created a place named so and so - which can be only a vault. Before asking I would check in Legends how many vaults are there. In small world there may be not too many.

I second this with sking tavern keepers.

Another thing you can do is check in legends viewer for where they are.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 12:58:09 am »

You can use open-legends (from the DFHack console) to open Legends mode from any other mode. Note that this will fuck up your game if you save, so use task manager or something to force DF to quit afterwards. Saves time copying saves around though.
I haven't had any trouble with exporting legends data in DFHack. Try "Open-Legends" and then "ExportLegends all". Then run Legends Viewer, point it to the files, and you should be able to Esc back to your game with no trouble.

The only drawbacks are that the export takes some time and generates big files on your hard drive. My medium world generates over 2GB of files per export.