Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should I buy a Macbook ?  (Read 3428 times)

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
Should I buy a Macbook ?
« on: May 15, 2018, 11:22:06 am »

Hello !

Need some good advice. I feel a terrible urge to buy a Macbook. I want to experience a macOS...
I'm not really in the need to upgrade my 10 year old Vaio laptop (i7 2.70GHz, 8 RAM, intel hd graphics 3000). I want something to complement my digital life ... My vaio would be my desktop pc and this Mac would be my travel/light work/no gaming/evernote/youtube/mail companion.

What to do you all think about this?

Apple MacBook Air 13'' i5-1,8GHz | 8GB | 128GB

There's a part of me that hates this ideia. I was brainwashed ...
Thank you!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:26:27 am by pondicherry »
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy a Macbook ?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:50:31 pm »

I am not normal, so take this with an epic grain of salt.

I refuse to pay the Apple Tax. MacBooks are basically makeup plastered pigs in my opinion. Sure, the chasis might be made heavier, but spec wise, they are just COTS hardware to me.  Sufficiently so that Hackintoshes are totally a thing.

As such, I would suggest you research a comparable hackintosh guide friendly system, and go that route if you cannot live without OSX. Slightly more hassle, but much cheaper.

If you dont mind something other than OSX, there is always hacked chromebooks.  I am posting this right now from a samsung chromebook 3 (now a whopping 200$ at walmart) with MrChromebox bios installed, running Linux.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:37:06 am »

Thank you wierd.

Yes... the Apple Tax is real. Anyway, I don't want to mess with my Vaio. I'm not sure if I got the required skills. My Vaio is very precious to me! You're reducing my impulse to buy it. Thank you!

Then ... eliminating Macbook from the pool of choices (I'm not going to deny, I feel sexual attracted to the MacOs) But well ... that's just irrational and animal.

I want:

- trip's partner (factors to be considered: weight, dimension)
- quick ! (i7 ? i5 ? RAM = or > 8 GB)
- a very good trackpad
-  best screen

Don't really care for touch things .

Asking to much? Thank you!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:23:08 am by pondicherry »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 11:49:50 am »

Mac tax is very real, and I've never, ever enjoyed working with one. You're just paying for pretty colours.

If you like the OS I would suggest there's many linux distros which work pretty much the same. If you're new to computers don't be worried by linux - it's come a long way recently.

Anyway, I always think the lenovo laptops are the best value for money - I've never had a problem with them and they seem to actually deliver what they promise.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 12:38:11 pm »

Thanks for all your feedback!

Mac tax is very real, and I've never, ever enjoyed working with one. You're just paying for pretty colours.

If you like the OS I would suggest there's many linux distros which work pretty much the same. If you're new to computers don't be worried by linux - it's come a long way recently.

Anyway, I always think the lenovo laptops are the best value for money - I've never had a problem with them and they seem to actually deliver what they promise.

Should I buy a Lenovo laptop and install linux, then? Where can I start my linux newbie course ... ?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 04:26:46 pm »

Should I buy a Lenovo laptop and install linux, then? Where can I start my linux newbie course ... ?

You can do if you want to - Linux doesn't need you to take a course or anything anymore, just get one of the main distros like Elementary or Ubuntu.

Check out this list:
https://www.techradar.com/news/best-linux-distro

As you can see, for elementary it says : "It’s probably the most attractive distro around, with a style similar to that of macOS."

Each website will take you through the steps to installing and using them - they're way, way easier than they were 10 years ago.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 03:54:28 pm »

What about the Lenovo spyware scandal? Can you still trust them after that?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 05:59:01 am »

Ew, macs. You're just paying for "OMG PRETTY UI".
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 06:25:44 am »

No,  you are paying for a decal.

While Apple does not charge for their OS (you can get the install isos for free) because it (normally) only installs on "blessed" hardware, the only thing special about that hardware aside from some magic bits in the TPM/management engine, is that it has a pretty decal on it.  Since apple does not charge for software, only hardware, you arent paying for the UI. You are totally paying for that decal.

that decal just isn't worth much in my opinion.  I really dont like OSX anyway. (prefer Linux)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 11:50:26 am »

What about the Lenovo spyware scandal? Can you still trust them after that?

It's something to be careful of, however if you're in the US they've banned Lenovo from installing bloatware (see:http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-hardware/29396/lenovo-settles-superfish-spyware-lawsuit-for-35m). Even if you're outside the US they've had to start being a lot more cautious about that sort of thing.

Regardless, I always run Tron https://www.reddit.com/r/TronScript/ when I get new hardware, and regularly after that. If you haven't used it before, it's honestly amazing and kills off anything nasty.

In my opinion, they're really good value for money, so definitely have a think about it!

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 04:33:45 pm »

Old thread but everything here is.

Macbooks were better a long time ago, when they got their reputation.  They were not worth the tax IMO, but were solid, upgradeable machines you could actually do work on.   I had used a pre 2011 model and was purchased a newer model by work (from after Apple's 'retina' thing when they started dropping features) for development years ago and it was *bad*.  Technically those were ours to do whatever we wanted with.  When I left the job, I left mine there after doing a clean install and told them to give it to somebody who'd use it.        Thermal management was non-existent so the processor would drop to half speed within minutes of doing anything.  Some of the keys on the keyboard got so hot that they were near the pain threshold.   The newer ones are doing the same thing.  Top of the line 6 core model is faster than last year's quad core only if thrown in the freezer for 20 minutes first?  Sign me the hell up for that, great job.  Their lower end laptops don't even have the questionable advantage of multicore processors and tons of ram, and still cost too much, so why bother?   A $400 acer will keep up with them. 

If I was buying a laptop and able to spend that much anyway,  and didn't care about the issues of not being able to upgrade, I'd get a Surface.  Linux is fully functional with it aside from the webcams, Windows 10 is designed with it in mind, they're usable as tablets and with Wacom pens, and even though they only have dual core processors, their heat output is appropriate for the form factor and less likely to take a crap instantly.  If you were looking at cheaper options and really want to run OS X for some reason,  track down a PC laptop that's just as fast as the expensive MBP and can be Hackintosh'd https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/high-sierra-laptop-guides.193/

Also keep in mind that apple moved to USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 ports for everything.  That's not terrible on its own, newer standards are important, but their newer laptops have no standard USB ports, you need an adapter for that.  Need an optical drive?  They quit including those a while ago.  Surely you can just plug an SD or MicroSD card into...  no, they removed that too.  Getting anything to/from the computer requires USB adapters or bluetooth.  USB->USB-C adapters are only $10, but have fun not losing them. 

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 08:05:25 pm »

Apple REALLY wants people to use bluetooth, and I'm not really sure why

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 10:04:23 pm »

Apple REALLY wants people to use bluetooth, and I'm not really sure why
Because the cyberpunk PAN future is here.

...Yeah I don't get why people feel the need to clog up airspaces with EM waves when jacks would do.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 12:39:04 am »

Comrade is walk to city to pick up vodka from vodka barrel near food line.  Capitalist America man is visit.  He ignore community vodka like idiot and say he cannot attach phone to blueteeths for music listening.  Comrade tell him "this is not backwards place you live, is public redteeths connection".  Man connect to redtooth radio built in vodka barrel.  Redtooth is glorious product of USSR and send music after two week for KGB processing.  Stupid man not know.  Two week later man is killed by KGB as he listen to music from phone for connect capitalist phone to vodka barrel.  Comrade is put in gulag for telling capitalist of redtooth, then is killed for being in gulag without papers.  Such is life in Moscow. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:03:47 am by DwarfToys »
Pages: [1] 2