Finally... > Life Advice

Should I buy a Macbook ?

(1/4) > >>

pondicherry:
Hello !

Need some good advice. I feel a terrible urge to buy a Macbook. I want to experience a macOS...
I'm not really in the need to upgrade my 10 year old Vaio laptop (i7 2.70GHz, 8 RAM, intel hd graphics 3000). I want something to complement my digital life ... My vaio would be my desktop pc and this Mac would be my travel/light work/no gaming/evernote/youtube/mail companion.

What to do you all think about this?

Apple MacBook Air 13'' i5-1,8GHz | 8GB | 128GB

There's a part of me that hates this ideia. I was brainwashed ...
Thank you!

wierd:

I am not normal, so take this with an epic grain of salt.

I refuse to pay the Apple Tax. MacBooks are basically makeup plastered pigs in my opinion. Sure, the chasis might be made heavier, but spec wise, they are just COTS hardware to me.  Sufficiently so that Hackintoshes are totally a thing.

As such, I would suggest you research a comparable hackintosh guide friendly system, and go that route if you cannot live without OSX. Slightly more hassle, but much cheaper.

If you dont mind something other than OSX, there is always hacked chromebooks.  I am posting this right now from a samsung chromebook 3 (now a whopping 200$ at walmart) with MrChromebox bios installed, running Linux.

pondicherry:
Thank you wierd.

Yes... the Apple Tax is real. Anyway, I don't want to mess with my Vaio. I'm not sure if I got the required skills. My Vaio is very precious to me! You're reducing my impulse to buy it. Thank you!

Then ... eliminating Macbook from the pool of choices (I'm not going to deny, I feel sexual attracted to the MacOs) But well ... that's just irrational and animal.

I want:

- trip's partner (factors to be considered: weight, dimension)
- quick ! (i7 ? i5 ? RAM = or > 8 GB)
- a very good trackpad
-  best screen

Don't really care for touch things .

Asking to much? Thank you!

scourge728:
Windows Master Race

Retropunch:
Mac tax is very real, and I've never, ever enjoyed working with one. You're just paying for pretty colours.

If you like the OS I would suggest there's many linux distros which work pretty much the same. If you're new to computers don't be worried by linux - it's come a long way recently.

Anyway, I always think the lenovo laptops are the best value for money - I've never had a problem with them and they seem to actually deliver what they promise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version