Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tips for testing mods  (Read 432 times)

Amdy_vill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tips for testing mods
« on: May 15, 2018, 12:46:29 pm »

so what would be the best way of quickly testing if a creature i made works in the way i want.
I come from the Past where we have no knowledge of how to play Dwarf fortress.

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tips for testing mods
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 03:59:46 pm »

The Object Testing Arena?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 06:16:43 pm »

If you need to make sure its body plan and other such things are set up right then the object testing arena should do it. If you need to check that it behaves correctly the only way is to just find it ingame and observe. You can set its frequency and population numbers up really high to make sure you see it in a reasonable amount of time.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Amdy_vill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 06:00:55 am »

thanks. i guess i should look at the object testing area on the wiki to learn how to use it.
I come from the Past where we have no knowledge of how to play Dwarf fortress.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 10:47:57 am »

The errorlog is extremely useful. Just start the object testing arena and the log should fill up with whatever obvious problems your creature has. It can't see everything, but it's useful.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!