Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Personality traits for military [0.44.10]  (Read 9413 times)

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Personality traits for military [0.44.10]
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 08:20:45 pm »

How exactly can I use your script? DFhack does not launch it just like that.
Make a new .txt file in hack/scripts, and call it list_soldier_personalities.lua or something.  Copy the code into it and save it.  In the dfhack window, type list_soldier_personalities.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 08:02:06 am »

I took your script and slightly changed it, because civ id and race id can be different. I don't know how universal it is, should work with dwarves. But probably not with human mercenaries.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Elderon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 06:08:18 am »

I took your script and slightly changed it, because civ id and race id can be different...

O, thanks! I somehow missed that.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 02:16:18 am »

For players who, like me, get confused with scripts, you can do something similar in Therapist. Go to Windows > Docks > Grid Views, and it'll show you all sorts of dwarf info, incluing these key stress variables.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 10:18:17 am »

I have added a set I named "Mental" to Military-Alt (one of grids in Dwarf Therapist). It has Happiness, Bravery, Anxiety Propensity, Stress Vulnerability and Cave Adaptation. However, for some reason, the guy who has the highest stress (over 10k, and shown with red arrow down in the game) has actually quite good score in these. He has stress vulnerability at 62, but this is far from the highest scorers, who still have no stress, or negative stress. My most negative stressed dwarf has -65k, and has stress vulnerability at 55, for comparison. This is because of horrified x 17, of course. He wants to practice martial arts, but I'll keep him away from any weapons...

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 01:22:16 am »

I have added a set I named "Mental" to Military-Alt (one of grids in Dwarf Therapist). It has Happiness, Bravery, Anxiety Propensity, Stress Vulnerability and Cave Adaptation. However, for some reason, the guy who has the highest stress (over 10k, and shown with red arrow down in the game) has actually quite good score in these. He has stress vulnerability at 62, but this is far from the highest scorers, who still have no stress, or negative stress. My most negative stressed dwarf has -65k, and has stress vulnerability at 55, for comparison. This is because of horrified x 17, of course. He wants to practice martial arts, but I'll keep him away from any weapons...
I'm watching the same numbers, and I'm also mystified. About 5-10% of my dwarves continually gain stress no matter what they do. And I can't see any difference between their pyschological variables and those of the dwarves who have -100k stress.

My best guess is that these perma-stressed dwarves seem to consistently receive second-rate emotions from positive stimuli. I'll force all my dwarves into a tavern, and they'll all listen to the same story. Most of the dwarves come away with something high-scoring like Blissful. But the perma-stressed dwarves come away with something weak like Interested. So their negatives are full force, but some of their key positives are half-strength or less.

The highest stress dwarves also seem to get trapped in a cycle of wanting to meet the mayor for comfort. The meeting produces a nearly worthless Satisfaction for the stressed dwarf (and an nice Empathy boost for the mayor, which makes no sense). And while the stressed dwarves are chasing the meetings, they're missing out on the stories and poems that could make them Blissful.

I don't think that the main problem is the Horror memories that others have been emphasizing. Those memories are certainly overpowered and need to be fixed. But what I'm seeing is that some dwarves are psychologically incapable of de-stressing, no matter what you give them.

If your stress gets out of hand, remember "remove-stress", which by default sets a specific dwarf's stress to negative one million. The current minimum stress in-game stress is -100k, so setting stress lower than that might corrupt your fortress. But it's an easy matter to edit remove-stress.lua to cut -1000000 down to something more reasonable. I went with 10k.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 12:45:59 pm »

I think that empathy is OK, the mayor feels better because he helped someone. Only one my dwarf was apparently stressed enough to have this kind of interaction, so I have no other observations.

Hm, I tried the "remove-stress" but it didn't work until I changed it. Apparently, some of active units do not have soul, and the script breaks when iterating them (so I would have to use it on every one separately). So I changed the script to my liking: it skips the soulless creatures now, zeroes the stress only if it is higher than zero, and lists all creatures which were changed (and their previous stress level):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn't want to set it below zero, since it would be harder to analyse positive stress changes later.

I've looked through a couple of most stressed people - sometimes it's hard to see what's the matter. Like with one guy (second most stressed), who was mostly feeling loneliness, separation from friends, separation from loved ones, was unable to pray too long (why?), felt boredom for three different reasons etc. But only 8x horrified. It seems very random - sometimes they apparently do not notice the dead body, or at leas have no thoughts about them, even if present near body. And which thought would be selected is also not apparent from their traits, at least that's my feeling.

Most funny to me is that vampires have stressful thoughts after seeing their victims die, and then remembering them, heh.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 01:15:38 pm »

I think that empathy is OK, the mayor feels better because he helped someone.
I'm married to a nurse, so I know from long experience that empathetically listening to complaints all day is exhausting. I feel sorry for my mayor. His social skills are excellent by now, but they don't seem to help.

That stress script looks promising. Maybe you could urge whoever maintains DFHack to swap it for the current remove-stress. There's no point having a broken script in there.

I've looked through a couple of most stressed people - sometimes it's hard to see what's the matter. Like with one guy (second most stressed), who was mostly feeling loneliness, separation from friends, separation from loved ones, was unable to pray too long (why?), felt boredom for three different reasons etc. But only 8x horrified. It seems very random - sometimes they apparently do not notice the dead body, or at leas have no thoughts about them, even if present near body. And which thought would be selected is also not apparent from their traits, at least that's my feeling.
Yes, exactly! It's not just the multiplied horror. There's something subtler at work that makes a handful of dwarves impossible to placate.

Most funny to me is that vampires have stressful thoughts after seeing their victims die, and then remembering them, heh.
Urist has experienced a Crisis of Conscience about feeding on a friend.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 06:00:52 am »

I think that empathy is OK, the mayor feels better because he helped someone.
I'm married to a nurse, so I know from long experience that empathetically listening to complaints all day is exhausting. I feel sorry for my mayor. His social skills are excellent by now, but they don't seem to help.

Yeah, but is he really overwhelmed? Maybe he likes to help other. My mayor has three causes of this Empathy emotion, each one has strength of 4. It's not that much, in comparison to other feelings. It's probably the only way he can be helpful. If it's really a whole day of this activity, then it should become mentally draining, unless the creature has a very high empathy and some kind of psychical durability (if someone has a high empathy, he will take pleasure in helping others, but can't be a snowflake, i.e. self absorbed. Snowflakes with empathy are emos, and they feel sorry mostly for themselves).

Yes, exactly! It's not just the multiplied horror. There's something subtler at work that makes a handful of dwarves impossible to placate.

I've counted the best positive and negative emotions (strength eight) in DT, to get a picture.

In my fort they are (first number is the number of best emotions, second is the total number of emotions of this kind, including weak, neutral or negative):
Delight (from performance watching) 722/3106
Euphoric (as syndrome, this is from drinking) 545/545
Delight (from waterfall, there are many more with strength 4) 42/274
Bliss (from dining room) 166/180
Bliss (from bedroom) 129/145
Bliss, Joy (both from performing) 15/101
Clothing (from equipping good stuff) 9/94
Rapture (from prayer) 84/84
Love (from social/talked) 8/56
Bliss (from meal, I've made a mistake by allowing them to eat raw stuff instead of roasts, so usually it should be higher) 30/36
Bliss (from becoming a parent) 12/12
Adoration (from becoming a mother) 6/6
Adoration (from becoming a father) 5/6

The most negative:
Horrified (mostly from dead bodies, some are unaffected) 350/395
Horrified (from seeing death) 44/48
Afraid (from trauma) 80/80
Panic (from seeing vermin) 2/24

Urist has experienced a Crisis of Conscience about feeding on a friend.

But they weren't real friends! That was only an act ;)

Overall, only less than 14% of my citizens and long-term residents have stress above zero (and this is before using any script to affect it). So it's strange than some are so much more affected than average.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 10:32:40 am »

Here's the sort of stress analysis that leaves me baffled. I look at my five dwarves with the highest Stress Vulnerability:

Rovod has an SV of 81 and a stress of 10.5k, and that's after pushing his stress down to 10k just a month ago. His stress always goes up.
Rimtar has an SV of 86 and a stress of zero.
Inod has an SV of 86 and a stress of 10k.
Rushrul has an SV of 88 and a stress of 12.5k.
Shetbeth has the highest SV in the fortress at 89. His stress is negative 88.5k.

And nothing else on Shetbeth's traits explains the discrepancy. Activity level is low at 19. He's in the nineties on Emotionally Obsessive and Love Propensity, and rock bottom on Thoughtlessness.

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 12:25:16 pm »

Bit fiddly to explain but I used these weightings to score dwarves for military, civ, performer, academic and medic roles.

For military I rated balanced temperaments preferring not to train up hateful, quarrelsome dwarves so much and keep them crafting instead.

The traits each have a linear weighting and an extra weighting modifier which
kicks in if the trait value is very high or low.
Klok the Kloker !

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 07:36:52 pm »

Bit fiddly to explain but I used these weightings to score dwarves for military, civ, performer, academic and medic roles.
. . .
Is your theory that these weightings will help find dwarves 1) who perform better at those jobs, or 2) who will be less stressed while performing those jobs? And if it's 1, then how can you measure that?

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 08:21:40 pm »

There is a engineered formula for calculating performance at most jobs based on the mental and physical attributes which are different from these personality traits - I use that to color the labor grid. But if a unit is lacking in those attributes, military training improves most of them quite quickly, and crafting a bit slower.

I use this personality trait scoring system to sort new arrivals in order of suitability for the different roles, there is no strict theory behind it, but cruel doctors seem like a bad idea, "imagination" seems good for performers and academics, bravery seems excellent for military but super high bravery could be a little problematic ( the unit description suggests this "...utterly fearless when confronted with danger, to the point of lacking common sense" ).
Klok the Kloker !
Pages: 1 [2]