Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smell/Taste/Xenophobia/revelry  (Read 662 times)

Pumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smell/Taste/Xenophobia/revelry
« on: May 15, 2018, 11:32:11 pm »

Heya everyone.

I created a creature who has no nose or ears. I then went into arena mode to test them, and they could still talk with and hear other creatures. They could even have a conversation with a dwarf. What does this mean exactly? How can they hear the dwarf if they have no ears?

Secondly, is there any way to make a civilization have no capacity for musical ability, and no desire to do it? Is there a way to make a civ not do that stuff like "such and such throws a celebration involving costumes, dancers banners etc"

Does anyone know if it is possible to give a creature no sense of taste? Does taste even exist?

Is there a way to make a civ or race particularly xenophobic, so they won't have other races integrated into their civs?

Sorry for all the questions but I really like modding and im not sure about these things, so I've come to the experts looking for help! :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:24:56 am by Pumble »

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 12:50:18 am »

I can't answer all your questions, but I'm pretty sure xenophobia isn't implemented yet. You could give the race ethics that are completely incompatible with every other race and see if that helps. Just make sure that they don't have child snatchers.

I don't think taste specifically can be turned off, but you can turn off their sense of smell. I don't know if that affects food preferences, though.

As for speaking without a mouth/hearing without ears, I'm not sure. You could look through the tags the creature has (including any tags body parts have - so you'll have to dig through the body templates). There could be a speech tag buried in there somewhere you may have missed.

I'd recommend renaming the thread so people can see what you are asking at a glance. I haven't tried modding intelligent creature myself, so this is a little beyond my domain.

Pumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a few questions
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 05:23:25 am »

good idea

Aurum System

• Bay Watcher
  • (Gai, and others) (They/Them collectively)
    • View Profile
Re: Smell/Taste/Xenophobia/revelry
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 09:50:37 am »

From the wiki. "INTELLIGENT : Alias for [CAN_SPEAK] + [CAN_LEARN] but additionally keeps creatures from being butchered by the AI during World-Gen and Post-Gen. In Fortress Mode CAN_LEARN is enough."

I don't know about hearing, but replacing INTELLIGENT with CAN_LEARN keep them from speaking, and I think NOT_BUTCHERABLE will keep them from being butchered during world gen.

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 09:21:04 pm »

[UTTERANCES]
"Changes the language of the creature into unintelligible 'kobold-speak', which creatures of other species will be unable to understand. If a civilized creature has this and is not part of a SKULKING civ, it will tend to start wars with all nearby civilizations and will be unable to make peace treaties due to 'inability to communicate'."

This is something I found, likely exactly what you need.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 12:35:33 am »

Do note that others have found, and proved it to me, you can combine UTTERANCES and CAN_SPEAK together to make a civ that can talk but will use a made up language (if you're lazy and don't want to make a lang file)

Pumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 05:08:13 pm »

I like the idea of a race going around and gibbering lol  :)