Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Room Management  (Read 1939 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Room Management
« on: May 20, 2018, 04:04:59 pm »

I'm battling the tide of horror in 44.10, which means bigger and better bedrooms. Maybe even tombs. But the in-game (R)oom feature is weak, and my soldiers lose their room assignments every time they leave on a mission.

Can anyone recommend a script, utility, or other shortcut that makes room management easier?

EDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Room Management
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:37:13 pm »

While I don't know any scripts that will help, I do know a workaround: just leave them with rooms unassigned and let them claim a new one every time they want to sleep. Many people don't know, but if a dwarf wants to sleep and there's an unclaimed bedroom somewhere, they'll just take it. IF you want to give them better bedrooms than your other citizens, it may be an issue, but you could just make sure that all the civilian bedrooms are assigned to civilians, and they'll take the desired bedrooms automatically.

Not very satisfactory, but it's workable.  :-\

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 09:43:34 pm »

And as they get more experienced and disciplined, you'll find it's the other dorfs who need the deluxe rooms to get them through the working day, while the soldiers are happy enough with a bed in the barracks.

Well, except those who hate soldiering. They'll freak out and use their combat skills to smash up your fine dining room tables. Keep an eye on them.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 11:29:42 pm »

DFHack some sort of feature like this. When I (q) over the item that anchors a room held by a room-demanding noble, DFHack is giving me an option to auto-allocate that room to whoever holds the office, rather than the individual. I haven't tested it yet, but if it works then it solves one of the problems with mission soldiers losing their rooms.

I was hoping to give out rooms based on material preferences. I just discovered that Therapist can list all the dwarves with a specific preference. So it wouldn't be too difficult find the dwarves who prefer available materials, and stuff their rooms with furniture made from what they like. Given the stress challenge of 44.10, I'm looking at every angle. But with soldiers losing and re-choosing their rooms on every mission, that doesn't seem to be possible without a script.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 03:14:05 am »

If I would make a script for room reallocation I'd try to see if the room can't use the naming feature. If the rooms can be named, I'd name them after their owners. Once owners return from a mission I'd run a script that would match up room name with dorf name.
I'd probably do it as a room naming script and a room reallocation script.
Note that this would kick out anyone who claimed the rooms in the mean time, though (and steal rooms from militia on missions if the naming script is run while they're away).
Note that you'd need to add additional logic to handle couples.

I guess it might be possible to tie room names to squad positions, naming rooms after the squad and squad position, although that would mean rooms would get shifted around as you shift militia between squads.