Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Generation Preferences?  (Read 1774 times)

TheCobblestoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Generation Preferences?
« on: May 17, 2018, 04:28:09 am »

Maybe I'm just lazy, but I like to use the basic world generator. Feels more random, but what are your preferences? I'd like to get some ideas.

Elderon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Generation Preferences?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 07:03:14 am »

I like to lower population cap after civ creation, site cap,  number of civilizations and cavern layer number. All for FPS reasons.
Also I usually set poles to N and S and lower max temperature, hoping it will create less hot biom, because it seem more appropriate for dwarf to live in cold lands.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:12:52 am »

I like to lower population cap after civ creation, site cap,  number of civilizations and cavern layer number. All for FPS reasons.
Besides the much slower save times, I've never seen any noticeable impact on a fortress fps from the population of the outside world, so I actually do the opposite. Slows down worldgen to be sure, but so many interesting characters and sites packed full of never-ending bad folk and their pets seems to make for a more interesting game.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:37:17 am »

Besides the much slower save times, I've never seen any noticeable impact on a fortress fps from the population of the outside world, so I actually do the opposite. Slows down worldgen to be sure, but so many interesting characters and sites packed full of never-ending bad folk and their pets seems to make for a more interesting game.
I actually regret having gone along this route. The save has bloated out to over 500 MB, and before I disabled compression saving took about 5 minutes. A problem with bloated saves is that DFFD can't accept them, and the saves are no so large Dropbox can store only one save at any one time (unless Dropbox is upgraded). The odd thing is that the save wasn't particularly large in the beginning, but 30+ years in things are different. The FPS is lousy, but I don't think the world is responsible for that.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 01:43:34 pm »

I tend to keep things mostly basic, but the usual tweaks I make for personal preference are:
Minerals 1800: tends to give plenty of ores without making them too overwhelming, decent chance of getting something useful
Cavern openness 50-100, passages 0-50: More spacious and comfortable caverns that aren't too maze-like or crowded
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 06:59:13 am »

Crank up titan number, SMB number, cave number, civ number. 
More ore but only 2 caverns. Once I've got perfectworld working, I'll turn savagery up to 11 as well. 
It's like cramming a larger world into a smaller space.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 09:14:14 am »

for fortress mode i use this
size small
history short
number civs medium
number sites medium
number of beasts low
natural savagery low
mineral occurrence everywhere

yes, i know it makes the game easy, but i'm not going to change it until i get a fort to survive 10 years.

for adventure mode, it should definitely be harder and more civs, more sites
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)