Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dangerous Trader immigrant  (Read 703 times)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dangerous Trader immigrant
« on: May 27, 2018, 11:29:29 am »

So, I got a new immigration wave in my current game, and it has a dwarf who claims he's a Trader.

Except his skills include Milking, Butchering and Gelding.

Is it safe to let him negotiate with the merchants, or is there a risk of an international incident?

I'm currently leaning towards the safer option. I.e. magma.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Dangerous Trader immigrant
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 02:08:20 pm »

Either he's someone claiming to be a peddler (in which case, he's safe, just a bug,) or he's a dwarf whose highest skill is appraiser, in which case he's also safe.

I mean you can melt him anyway since he probably has no friends, but still.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dangerous Trader immigrant
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 06:19:38 pm »

He's an ex-spy from your civ who once posed as a Trader. He retained his fake name and profession when he moved to the fortress.

It's a bug (either they should revert to their real name, or they shouldn't be picked for immigration during spy missions).

Immigrants shouldn't have visitor professions so it's pretty easy to spot. You'll get "criminals", "thieves", "monster slayers", etc too.

A quick check of Legends will show you what's going on (you should be able to find his real name in the thoughts screen of his wife or children - they often come with relatives, which may be what's causing the problem).

So, to summarize: He's not dangerous. He's a dorvern war hero. Don't apply magma.

--edit
Actually, yeah, Trader is actually an immigrant profession as previous reply said (highest skill appraiser). Probably working as intended ("peddler" is the visitor only profession).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:23:10 pm by Shonai_Dweller »