Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can you have [CASTE:FEMALE] and another [CASTE:FEMALE] undead the same creature  (Read 1393 times)

Amdy_vill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so can you have [CASTE:FEMALE] and another [CASTE:FEMALE] undead the same creature. i a wondering as i am trying to make more realistic litter sizes for animals. I want there to be several female castes with different litter sizes and the more extreme ones are less likely to happen.
I come from the Past where we have no knowledge of how to play Dwarf fortress.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

What's this about undead?  Did you mean under?

To answer the question directly though, you can't have two [CASTE:FEMALE] on the same creature, but you can definitely have multiple castes that are [FEMALE].  I don't have any raws handy to use as a reference, but the general idea is that you want to copy the [CASTE:FEMALE] section multiple times and just rename them to something like [CASTE:FEMALE1], [CASTE:FEMALE2] and so on.  You'll also want to adjust the caste frequencies with [POP_RATIO], otherwise you'll end up with more females than males.

The actual tags should be here for more reference: Creature Tokens.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For a minute, I thought that you were saying that casts could be tokens, and it blew my mind. x3

So, the "male" and "female" casts are named after their reproductive tokens?

If you have [CASTE:LADY] and [CASTE:HUSSY], they would probably both have the [FEMALE] token, but neither would be a [CASTE:FEMALE]?

If you have [CASTE:WORKER] and [CASTE:QUEEN], modeled after ants and bees, would only the queen would have the [FEMALE] token, even though we think of the workers as sterile females?  Could you give workers the [FEMALE] token and a zero litter size, instead?

I'm getting way more interested in this than I had expected.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

That's all pretty much correct, but I'm not sure what happens if you try to make the workers female with a litter of size 0.  My hunch is that the game will force a minimum size of 1, and it'll only work as intended if you leave he [FEMALE] tag off altogether for that caste.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile

Caste names must be unique, but you can have multiple [FEMALE] tokens, as said. I created a critter based off a book, something like a small dragon that comes in specific colors linked to sex. Two of them were female, both capable of producing egg clutches, but the "queens" consistently produced bigger and healthier clutches. Sadly, there was no way to limit which castes were valid offspring, but I was able to manage giving the "lesser" female a very small clutch size and the "queen" a larger one.

This was several versions ago, but I don't think that much has changed in the token level. I'm doing it again from scratch, so if I have success (or not), I'll share code bits.

Ants and bees in-game only have the [FEMALE] token on the queen caste; workers are genderless.

(Also, this is probably better suited to the modding forum. Just sayin.)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

For a minute, I thought that you were saying that casts could be tokens, and it blew my mind. x3

So, the "male" and "female" casts are named after their reproductive tokens?

If you have [CASTE:LADY] and [CASTE:HUSSY], they would probably both have the [FEMALE] token, but neither would be a [CASTE:FEMALE]?

If you have [CASTE:WORKER] and [CASTE:QUEEN], modeled after ants and bees, would only the queen would have the [FEMALE] token, even though we think of the workers as sterile females?  Could you give workers the [FEMALE] token and a zero litter size, instead?

I'm getting way more interested in this than I had expected.

There are two sex tags, [MALE] and [FEMALE], which are tags that can be set inside a caste. You can just remove the sex tags, so there isn't any sex assigned. You can have any number of castes I believe (OK, might be a breaking point). I came across this in Genesis originally, at the end of 2010 or so. This mod had different castes or tribes of dwarves and each tribe or caste had to have a male and female version. It might be possible to just exclude the litter tags assuming there is no default setting.

I don't think hermaphroditic species are implemented though some of the creatures in dwarf fortress are, in real life, hermaphrodites.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

I don't think hermaphroditic species are implemented though some of the creatures in dwarf fortress are, in real life, hermaphrodites.
Looking at slugs, snails and earthworms (who are all hermaphroditic in real life), they all lack sex castes (and tokens). I would assume the way the tokens currently work the latter either supersedes the former if both are used, or it causes some very weird buggy behavior that Toady gave up on fixing when originally implementing these hermaphroditic creatures.
It'd probably be worth investigating, though.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Caste names must be unique, but you can have multiple [FEMALE] tokens, as said. I created a critter based off a book, something like a small dragon that comes in specific colors linked to sex. Two of them were female, both capable of producing egg clutches, but the "queens" consistently produced bigger and healthier clutches. Sadly, there was no way to limit which castes were valid offspring, but I was able to manage giving the "lesser" female a very small clutch size and the "queen" a larger one.

This was several versions ago, but I don't think that much has changed in the token level. I'm doing it again from scratch, so if I have success (or not), I'll share code bits.

Ants and bees in-game only have the [FEMALE] token on the queen caste; workers are genderless.

(Also, this is probably better suited to the modding forum. Just sayin.)

I feel as though I know what book that is