Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: adventure mode bar fight  (Read 2029 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
adventure mode bar fight
« on: May 07, 2018, 08:31:06 pm »

so started a new adventure and after wandering around and killing a few things I ended up at a tavern, now at this point, I had lost my weapon (bronze scimitar) because I threw it after a fleeing bandit who was near cliff, it missed and fell off and I was left weaponless. at the bar, after arguing with a bard about the value of family, I punched him, this caused my companions to put there weapons away and back up, the other patrons to crowd around but not do anything as me and this bard had a slugfest (which ended with him kneeling over vomiting). this is the first time I've seen this, so I just wanted to mention it
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: adventure mode bar fight
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 09:57:43 pm »

so started a new adventure and after wandering around and killing a few things I ended up at a tavern, now at this point, I had lost my weapon (bronze scimitar) because I threw it after a fleeing bandit who was near cliff, it missed and fell off and I was left weaponless. at the bar, after arguing with a bard about the value of family, I punched him, this caused my companions to put there weapons away and back up, the other patrons to crowd around but not do anything as me and this bard had a slugfest (which ended with him kneeling over vomiting). this is the first time I've seen this, so I just wanted to mention it
It's a beautiful system when it works. Just don't try to choke anyone or you'll escalate the fight to lethal and your companions will jump in, weapons drawn.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 05:35:06 am »

Also don't do stuff that would be conscidered lethal in general, like pinching limbs, grabbing heads or punching throats. I once had my gorlak argue with elven merchants, being triggered by different values, going for a fight. This resulted in a group of elves playing soccer with the poor thing while the rest of the group looked at it, amused. It ended well, no permanent injury, when my gorlak said he had enough they stopped. It was magical

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 03:35:52 pm »

Things like this are proof that DF is even deeper than many people give it credit for (and most people would already consider it a very complex game). I mean, not all of the systems work 100% of the time, but when they do it's incredibly engaging and immersive.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 08:41:16 am »

I've not tested the mechanic thoroughly, but it seems that roughing people up makes them more likely to follow your instructions.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 08:50:27 pm »

I've not tested the mechanic thoroughly, but it seems that roughing people up makes them more likely to follow your instructions.

I know it's true for getting people to drop something, and information from the wiki suggests it also helps, and is often necessary, for demanding tribute from a group.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 09:22:03 pm »

I wonder if this could help you start an insurrection...