Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Troglodyte Usage  (Read 6998 times)

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Troglodyte Usage
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:40:50 am »

So I never use military. I just find it to be tedious. As such, I end up with tons of traps (mostly cage traps). Now I realize the inherent flaw in this strategy (Namely Trap avoid), but that isn't the topic here. The topic is captives; namely troglodytes in this case.

Now with most creatures, I can find a use for them; animal men are nice to collect, trolls can be unleashed to take on invaders, and most animals can be tamed to butcher or further make into war animals (don't need to have a military to get those stat boosts). Trogs, however, always seem to pile up. They're weak, yet also intelligent, yet even further still common as common as hell. I'm a year into this new fort and I already have 9. Y'all have any suggestions? I've considered making a 10x10, walled off pen and just letting them breed into a hoard to release in the event of a massive invasion, but I don't remember any goblins near my embark site, so I shouldn't get any of those for a while.

If nothing else, they at least make good bait. Feels like a waste, but might as well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:08:15 am by fishboyliam »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Troglodyte Usage
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 03:03:56 pm »

Use them to swamp forgotten beasts to death
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:54:07 pm »

Drop them down a 40-z shaft for visceral satisfaction.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:38:40 pm »

They're considered sentient, so the parts are potentially very traumatizing. I would drop them into magma instead.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 10:09:48 pm »

They're considered sentient, so the parts are potentially very traumatizing. I would drop them into magma instead.
Restrict the area then, or use the parts to traumatize dorfs so that they don't care about anything anymore.

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:48:31 pm »

I've seen dozens of trogs fight slime forgotten beasts and lose. They could be useful as bait to buy miners time to escape, however. That's worth looking into.
Restrict the area then, or use the parts to traumatize dorfs so that they don't care about anything anymore.

I think I got it, based on what you two described. I don't want to use the parts to traumatize my dwarfs, but I can still put them to use.

1. Make a death pit. Maybe throw in some spike traps for good measure.
2. Make a channel.
3. Grate said channel off.
4. Set up an area for dwarves to bathe in the blood of their enemies.
5. Praise Armok for his gift of crimson mist.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 05:59:26 am »

I've seen dozens of trogs fight slime forgotten beasts and lose. They could be useful as bait to buy miners time to escape, however. That's worth looking into.

I think I got it, based on what you two described. I don't want to use the parts to traumatize my dwarfs, but I can still put them to use.

2. Make a channel.
Impossible. Blood is not a liquid like water or lava, the only thing it will make are puddles that aren't even 1/7.

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 07:43:35 am »

2. Make a channel.
Impossible. Blood is not a liquid like water or lava, the only thing it will make are puddles that aren't even 1/7.
Alright, channel some water through there too then. Problem solves.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 09:51:19 am »

2. Make a channel.
or mod the game to add blood as a liquid.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 10:08:41 am »

2. Make a channel.
Liquids are not moddable. They're hardcoded.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 10:28:04 am »

2. Make a channel.
that only means it is harder to mod it.
and when you're at it, also add all other kinds of liquids: slime, vomit,... DF will be so dirty :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 10:34:21 am »

If you release a cavern animal on the surface it will head to the map edge and vanish.  You can presumably do that with troglodytes.  I did that once when my cage traps caught a troll, but I modded the game in order to make intelligent creatures impossible to cage (and immune to traps in general).

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 10:48:27 am »

or you can use them for dwarfputing...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 10:59:37 am »

2. Make a channel.
and when you're at it, also add all other kinds of liquids: slime, vomit,... DF will be so dirty :D
That's literally impossible even with DFhack.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 11:08:35 am »

2. Make a channel.
That's literally impossible even with DFhack.
you just need to hack into toady's PC and change his code files, so it gets implemented into the next official release :P
Pages: [1] 2 3