Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Troglodyte Usage  (Read 6990 times)

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: Troglodyte Usage
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 11:56:12 am »

I suggest making a roofed pen with fortification walls and a roof made of bridge or floodgate. If you are ever attacked by a flying beast you can open the roof remotely to have them serve as cannon fodder while your marksmen take down the flying invader. Also works underground. Alternatively, you could use them as cannon fodder during sieges, or to split-up an invading army by luring a portion away, or as training opponents for dwarf adventurers. Troglodytes are also a rare source of climbing experience, as they often climb walls to get away from pursuers. If your fortress has multiple entrances, you can surround a section of troglodytes with traps, to bait invaders into a trap-filled section. You could also use them as temple-decoration, burnt sacrifices, or in combination with magma to set enemies on fire. In theory, it would be possible to have a magma-filled minecart automatically drop a troglodyte-filled cage into said minecart, and fly them off the tracks into a group of i̶n̶n̶o̶c̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶y̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s enemies.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 01:53:46 pm »

I suggest making a roofed pen with fortification walls and a roof made of bridge or floodgate. If you are ever attacked by a flying beast you can open the roof remotely to have them serve as cannon fodder while your marksmen take down the flying invader. Also works underground. Alternatively, you could use them as cannon fodder during sieges, or to split-up an invading army by luring a portion away, or as training opponents for dwarf adventurers. Troglodytes are also a rare source of climbing experience, as they often climb walls to get away from pursuers. If your fortress has multiple entrances, you can surround a section of troglodytes with traps, to bait invaders into a trap-filled section. You could also use them as temple-decoration, burnt sacrifices, or in combination with magma to set enemies on fire. In theory, it would be possible to have a magma-filled minecart automatically drop a troglodyte-filled cage into said minecart, and fly them off the tracks into a group of i̶n̶n̶o̶c̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶y̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s enemies.

This, you might as well make them useful. Troglodytes are the same size as a dwarf too, so if you really want to waste time and energy on them you could use DFHack to forceequip some gear for them to improve their survivability.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 03:43:18 pm »

This, you might as well make them useful. Troglodytes are the same size as a dwarf too, so if you really want to waste time and energy on them you could use DFHack to forceequip some gear for them to improve their survivability.

Now these are all great! As I said, military ain't something I do, but using them to spread fire sounds incredible.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 04:41:32 pm »

Use them to swamp forgotten beasts to death
I've seen dozens of trogs fight slime forgotten beasts and lose. They could be useful as bait to buy miners time to escape, however. That's worth looking into.
Drop them down a 40-z shaft for visceral satisfaction.
They're considered sentient, so the parts are potentially very traumatizing. I would drop them into magma instead.
Restrict the area then, or use the parts to traumatize dorfs so that they don't care about anything anymore.

I think I got it, based on what you two described. I don't want to use the parts to traumatize my dwarfs, but I can still put them to use.

1. Make a death pit. Maybe throw in some spike traps for good measure.
2. Make a channel.
3. Grate said channel off.
4. Set up an area for dwarves to bathe in the blood of their enemies.
5. Praise Armok for his gift of crimson mist.
Impossible. Blood is not a liquid like water or lava, the only thing it will make are puddles that aren't even 1/7.
Alright, channel some water through there too then. Problem solves.
or mod the game to add blood as a liquid.
Liquids are not moddable. They're hardcoded.
that only means it is harder to mod it.
and when you're at it, also add all other kinds of liquids: slime, vomit,... DF will be so dirty :D
That's literally impossible even with DFhack.

Weeeeell... If we ignore the ethical dimension of doing so, we could decompile DF's executable and edit the decompiled source. Of course, we would have to spend a long, long time trying to understand the obfuscated code well enough to be able to edit it correctly.

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 05:10:31 pm »

Trimmed

Weeeeell... If we ignore the ethical dimension of doing so, we could decompile DF's executable and edit the decompiled source. Of course, we would have to spend a long, long time trying to understand the obfuscated code well enough to be able to edit it correctly.

Yeah, I don't even work on my raw file mods as much as I wish I did. I ain't modding liquids.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 07:22:19 pm »

Guys, enough with the quote pyramids.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 08:19:09 pm »

You could edit their raws (both in your savegames file folder and in the raw/objects folder the game uses to create them) and add the [PET] and [TRAINABLE] tags to them. Then you can tame them and train them as war animals. Theyre in the creature_subterranean.txt file, and their ID is literally TROGLODYTE, so you can paste those tags in underneath that
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 09:13:52 pm »

You could edit their raws (both in your savegames file folder and in the raw/objects folder the game uses to create them) and add the [PET] and [TRAINABLE] tags to them. Then you can tame them and train them as war animals. Theyre in the creature_subterranean.txt file, and their ID is literally TROGLODYTE, so you can paste those tags in underneath that
Yeah, but I'd honestly rather keep the file vanilla. I can edit raws easily, I just feel like playing it as is rn.

Once I get my own raw project done though... oh boy will I play the SHIT out of that

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 11:18:14 am »

Perhaps you could set up breeding pairs and drop them into the caverns as missile weapons? Make a big troglodyte missile station
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 11:41:38 am »

Perhaps you could set up breeding pairs and drop them into the caverns as missile weapons? Make a big troglodyte missile station
Why limit it to troglodytes, then? I can imagine it now; breeding chambers for trolls, Minotaur, whatever I can get my hands on, pumping out ammo, that's pitted directly onto a bridge to be opened in event of a forgotten beast.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 02:12:39 pm »

That sounds like a lot of cleanup...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 09:44:40 pm »

That sounds like a lot of !!FUN!!
FTFY.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 12:00:05 am »

A bit tangential, but has Toady stated his inclinations towards us decompiling the binary? My general impression is in the negative, but I wanted to find out for sure.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 06:19:35 pm »

you could put them on restraints to guard your fortress
Have you seen the invisible kobold?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 06:24:40 pm »

A bit tangential, but has Toady stated his inclinations towards us decompiling the binary? My general impression is in the negative, but I wanted to find out for sure.

I do not know the answer myself, but I'm sure he would answer a question about it in the Future of the Fortress thread.
Pages: 1 [2] 3