Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Troglodyte Usage  (Read 6989 times)

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Troglodyte Usage
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 09:03:34 pm »

I'm unsure as to how I had done it, but in one of my forts I had troglodytes listed as citizens. It was unmodded and I had a troglodyte breeding room (I don't know why); I think I may have retired and rejoined the fort which bugged the save.

I made the troglodytes tavern keepers and such to leave my dwarves for more important jobs.

I just had a look but I couldn't find any pictures, but I'm certain I wasn't just hallucinating.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2018, 09:54:38 pm »

Hm, so then it's probably doable with animal-people! We have found a way to make them citizens. Now they're pretty useful, because of free workforce.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 11:01:39 pm »

or you could build a pit trap http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pit_trap and then throw your troglodites in it
Have you seen the invisible kobold?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 11:51:34 pm »

or you could build a pit trap http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pit_trap and then throw your troglodites in it
What my suggestion was, basically. Also has a tendency to make dorfs no longer care about anything anymore, so drop them in your barracks for mental training. :P
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 08:35:29 am »

What my suggestion was, basically. Also has a tendency to make dorfs no longer care about anything anymore, so drop them in your barracks for mental training. :P

no, you sujested to drop them in a big enough shaft to make them explode
and I am sujesting to make a small pit trap to put them live in there so whatever falls get attacked by troglodites

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 12:05:46 pm »

I'm unsure as to how I had done it, but in one of my forts I had troglodytes listed as citizens. It was unmodded and I had a troglodyte breeding room (I don't know why); I think I may have retired and rejoined the fort which bugged the save.

I made the troglodytes tavern keepers and such to leave my dwarves for more important jobs.

I just had a look but I couldn't find any pictures, but I'm certain I wasn't just hallucinating.

I can diagnose this i think, implicitly the troglodytes born on the map belong to your 'site' because they are intelligent (intelligent creature birth rules, whever the baby lands its yours, if offsite its theirs), but since they are animals they emigrate off, the whole wacky allocation to check for fortress citizens probably saw 'intelligent being = born on site, add to citizens' without context, so validated the troglodytes.

However, this is a bug because semi-sapients were fixed in a prior version to not be applicable for occupation jobs (after modders accessed it with pet tags), this somehow this bypasses the code Toady put in blocking it, if it can be recreated and uploaded to Mantis for a hopeful fix it might be useful.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2018, 01:03:33 pm »

I can diagnose this i think, implicitly the troglodytes born on the map belong to your 'site' because they are intelligent (intelligent creature birth rules, whever the baby lands its yours, if offsite its theirs), but since they are animals they emigrate off, the whole wacky allocation to check for fortress citizens probably saw 'intelligent being = born on site, add to citizens' without context, so validated the troglodytes.

However, this is a bug because semi-sapients were fixed in a prior version to not be applicable for occupation jobs (after modders accessed it with pet tags), this somehow this bypasses the code Toady put in blocking it, if it can be recreated and uploaded to Mantis for a hopeful fix it might be useful.
i can imagine it becoming a source of FUN regarding that invaders and your civ are hostile by default, so the trogs might attack their own offspring and start a bloodshed that might affect your dorfs.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2018, 07:19:06 pm »

sorry for the thread necromancy but...

what about thaining the troglodytes in danger rooms?
that should make them better at killing invaders

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 05:49:16 am »

You just set them lose inside your fort, they will run around not harming anyone except dogs, which they will try to eat, and then get eaten by.. I assume it is training my war dogs.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 07:52:17 am »

I personally support the use of tightly packed troglodytes set between two sets of walls, like thermal insulation.  When you get invaded/bored, drop a thin layer of pumped magma on top of them, lower the bridges which form the ends of this wall section and let them spread wildly. Not only do you get the fire effect mentioned previously by others, but insulation is expensive yo.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 09:02:35 pm »

Sorry, super late to the game here...  Trogs, being sentient, can learn skills.  You can make an arena, trap all sorts of wild animals (or buy them from the elves) and have death matches.  They will die quickly at the start, but over time some of them will get strong.  Then you can set them free for some fun :-) (presumably to play with something else that is attacking you at the time...)

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2018, 01:30:35 am »

Sorry, super late to the game here...  Trogs, being sentient, can learn skills.  You can make an arena, trap all sorts of wild animals (or buy them from the elves) and have death matches.  They will die quickly at the start, but over time some of them will get strong.  Then you can set them free for some fun :-) (presumably to play with something else that is attacking you at the time...)
thats exactly what I was trying to say
Pages: 1 2 [3]