Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High speed rail corner  (Read 431 times)

Vsor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
High speed rail corner
« on: May 17, 2018, 02:20:38 pm »

At the moment, a cart going sufficiently fast on a corner will derail. At the moment this can be prevented with walls, but I would like to see a high speed (banked) corner. With this a cart of any speed above a certain point will traverse the turn without derailment. Conversely, a cart that is going too slow over the turn will simply derail.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
Re: High speed rail corner
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 05:16:23 am »

it could be required to be in a certain range - too slow and it falls down, too fast and it still flies off... the range would have to be set by the player though, or it would be annoying

I think most usecases would be exclusively wanting a non-walled-off turn that doesn't fly off or shotgun the contents of the cart though, so that extra step would also be annoying... I think on the whole the situation we have now is fine; the design choices that come about from the current behaviour would become uninteresting

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring lovecraft antagonist
    • View Profile
Re: High speed rail corner
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 12:06:38 pm »

Or make it a larger gentler turn like a 2×2 or 3x3 structure.
Edit: or both, bigger means bigger range of speeds and the banking moves the range up. Also have it so carts going too fast around turns can crash even if there's a wall right there. I think the current system seems a bit silly.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:27:25 pm by Evonix »
Has descended into madness