Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Higher creatures numbers  (Read 459 times)

lunaman22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Higher creatures numbers
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:42:37 am »

Y'all know what advanced world gen settings change the amount of creatures in the world?
I need them to train my marksdwarfs on live targets.
Aboveground and caverns included.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Higher creatures numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 01:08:17 pm »

Without detailed knowledge, I would expect it to involve hacking creature raws to increase their group sizes. The vanilla action would be to embark in savage biomes, as that allows for two simultaneous critter groups in the embark on each level (the non savage value is a single group).
Also, don't embark where you risk exterminating the critter population (glaciers have few types of critters, and some of them in low numbers). It's possible to hack the pop numbers to increase them, which can guard against extermination, but it does not affect the number of critters on the embark.

EDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 05:46:47 am »

You can also try to get as many biomes as possible in your embark, as each one has its own separate population of each type of critter. Other options include embarking near goblin sites and/or towers, and reanimatimg biomes, all of which come with good helpings of Fun ;)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 06:13:15 am »

More biomes bring a larger variety of critters and reduces the risk of local extinction, but it does nothing to increase the concurrent number of critters.